This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodgers Hybrid 205 info needed

'Tis the season for Rodgers hybrids. We obtained a Rodgers 205 last spring and are getting it ready to place in a senior assisted living chapel. It's always a steady 78 degrees in there ;-) so no problem for pipes staying in tune! Does anyone have a copy of the owners manual as well as a copy of the service manual? The swell shoe is not working and there are some loose wires hanging about. Also I' m not quite sure the memory is working correctly.
    Can't play an note but love all things "organ" Responsible for 2/10 Wurli pipe organ, Allen 3160(wife's), Allen LL324, Allen GW319EX, ADC4600, many others. E-organ shop to fund free organ lessons for kids.

John, I have sent you an email with the technical (service) manual attached, as well as a brochure on the 205. I don't have the user's manual, but the functionalilty of the 205 is pretty simple.

Comment

Doesn't that organ have a toe stud (or other control) that makes the analog stops unenclosed (since the pipes are unenclosed). If that is engaged, that would explain why the swell pedal doesn't work. But I was remembering that maybe the control turned off the pipes and engaged analog stops so the entire organ was under expression. I may be wrong on both guesses. Only played a 205 once and that was years ago. There's one near me for sale, was $5000, now $4K. Not a fan of Rodgers, but those two 4' ranks of pipes look great!

Comment

The control is labelled "• Stops Enclosed", and is a drawknob on the one I played. It turns off the pipes and on the electronic supplement for the pipe voices. Those stops are marked with the bullet. You have to engage that to get expression.

Comment

Thanks! I 'll have to check it out. This forum is great!
          Can't play an note but love all things "organ" Responsible for 2/10 Wurli pipe organ, Allen 3160(wife's), Allen LL324, Allen GW319EX, ADC4600, many others. E-organ shop to fund free organ lessons for kids.

Comment

toodles, you were right. I should have taken my time and caught that. Expression works fine. Now another thing I need to investigate: When I pull out the tuning knob and adjust the organ to be in tune with its pipes all is fine, until I push the knob back in and the tuning is off pitch again. Probably some internal adjustment? I need to study the manual.

Comment

• Moller Artiste
              Moller Artiste commented
              Editing a comment
              When the tuning knob is pulled out, the electronic stop tuning can be adjusted to the pipes. If the knob is pushed back in, the electronic stops return to their original tuning. If you are using pipes and electronic stops together, leave the tuning knob pulled out to retain the adjusted tuning. Allen
              Last edited by Moller Artiste; 08-06-2019, 07:55 AM.

Thanks, I can see how that works, Just seems counter intuitive not to be able to "lock" that setting.

Comment

It's not so easy to "remember" an analog voltage setting, which is what the tuning knob provides, when engaged. Of course, if you're dealing with digital circuitry it is quite simple. But the 205 is mostly analog. The tuning knob is just connected to a pot to provide a variable voltage--so the switch provides a fixed voltage reference and a variable one (from the pot0.

By the way, when the pipes are tuned, they are tuned to the electronics, so the switch is in the off position. As long as the pipe tuning and temperature holds steady, you aren't likely to need the variable tuning. Just FYI, Conn tried to marry pipes and analog electronics--I understand it wasn't terribly successful because they did not provide a means to tune the electronics to match the pipes--Rodgers learned from their mistake.

Of course the ideal situation would be a temperature tracking sensor to automatically adjust the tuning of the electronics, but I suspect that the sensors needed to do that might not have been sufficiently accurate for tracking the pipes, or perhaps they were prohibitively expensive. Then, too, the sensor would have had to be near the air supply and that might have been a problem since most of the pipe hybrid organs had the pipe at some distance from the console (not, of course, the 205) and it might have been difficult to carry the signal from the pipes to the console (for control) without pickup noise or without signal loss.

Comment

Thanks toodles, makes perfect sense. It is fortunate that this unit is going into Senior Care home. I swear they keep the temp at a steady 78 degrees year round.
                ( Or did I say that already?)

Comment

Working...
                X