No announcement yet.

Organ Freight/Shipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I own a 1105 and love it. The photo of the amp rack also shows a smaller rack with the ADR reverb unit and its amps. Make sure you get it also.
    You are going to love this organ!

Michael

Comment

Thanks Michael, we're very excited. Allen sent us the 2-pg brochure which has the console specs, included the specs for the bench and pedalboard in the email, and sent the user guide for the "MOS Three Manual Church Organ" (1982), which includes the 805, 1105, 1403, and 1405. They also provided authorized service dealers for us (out of Montgomery for AL, and I also asked for Nashville which is physically closer by about half the distance, although they may not come here at all I suppose with their turf boundaries, etc). I asked if it would be ok to post the manual here on the open forum for availability to others and they said no, not public domain info. But they didn't say we couldn't answer questions if anyone asked something in particular. I asked if they had a record of the original sales setup, but they said the organ was sold by the previous Allen Organ rep in CO, not them, and they did not have the record. With everything the church has included, it appears they have been the only owner over the years until now. The user guide speaks to the Reverberation kit: the optional Allen TAS (Total Ambience System) - yes I see it in the pic also now.
      Last edited by southernscots; 10-22-2019, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Southernscots,

The presence projectors are to add highs to the HC-12 channels. The HC-12 speakers are fairly tubby sounding, so the presence projectors would reinforce the highs, especially in a larger space where they need reinforcement. Each presence projector includes a mid-range speaker and a tweeter, and won't substantially add to the ohm load of the speaker chain.

The organ is probably set up with 4 channels, and two HC-12 speakers per channel with one presence projector on each channel. The antiphonal relays are on the top shelf of the tallest amplifier rack, and there were probably one HC-12 per antiphonal channel.

Ditto to everything said above regarding getting everything organ related from the church. Also, when it is transported, make sure the pedals or bench do not ding the pedal reed switches during transport. I've lost a handful of reed switches that way when someone helping me pushed the organ bench too hard under the keyboards without the pedals present.

I would think you can request organ service from Nashville, but make sure the dealer won't be crossing any boundaries. I've never heard of an Allen dealer in Montgomery, so that's a new one on me. I would have visited them on my many trips to Alabama, had I known.

Good deal!!!

Michael

Thanks Michael. Yes, Allen referred us to JES Organ, 5871 Eastdale Dr, Montgomery, AL 36117; www.jesorgan.com; jimsadie@jesorgan.com and
      Nashville: Steinway Piano Gallery, 4285 Sidco Dr, Nashville, TN 37204; Robert@steinwaynashville.com
      Cameron

Comment

The Allen dealer works under the Allen store in Knoxville. The serviceman does organ repair as a sideline to arcade and popcorn machine repair. He is a really nice fellow if he is still there. The Allen dealer uptown Nashville closed a number of years and someone worked out of a small storefront building.

I have all of the installation instructions that was included with my 1105 and it shows how the speakers and amps are setup. You are welcome to a copy of the paperwork I got from the church when the organ was removed.

Michael

Comment

• southernscots
          southernscots commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok thanks Michael, we may try calling the Nashville store they referenced to start with if needed, but Knoxville vs. Montgomery distance would probably be about same drive time, so could come to down to personnel involved (if Knox an option at all, etc), Guess Atlanta could be an option as well, it's a 3-hour drive.
          Last edited by southernscots; 10-23-2019, 10:40 AM.

• southernscots
          southernscots commented
          Editing a comment
          Michael, I messaged you about the install paperwork.

Speaking of shipping, I 'm about to take off for Indiana from NY state for a 3 day trip to get an Allen ADC 5400 with 8 speakers and platform. We thought about shipping but decided it was close enough to do it ourselves. We have a 12 ft enclosed trailer with T bars installed high and low. We moved many organs. The trick is to make liberal use of moving blankets. Each speaker gets wrapped in a blanket and stacked in columns vertically 2 high, the whole unit secured by heavy duty ratchet straps in the front of the trailer. ( attached to the T bars).The pedal board sits on a blanket and in a blanket, magnets down, strapped against the speaker stack.
        The console sits on the left wall, again heavily wrapped up in blankets and on a Kari Dolly and secured with an upper and lower strap. The platform sits on its edge strapped against the right wall with a blanket between. The bench gets wrapped too, and strapped under the keyboards, thus 2 layers of blanket between.
        We have room for bigger units and have carried a D size 3 manual Allen with 16 speakers and amp rack. Again liberal use of tie down straps and lots of blankets! We have a drop down door on the trailer and have considered installing an electric winch inside the trailer to haul consoles inside.
        We figure this trip will cost about $500.
        But every trip is still an adventure!
        John
        Can't play an note but love all things "organ" Responsible for 2/10 Wurli pipe organ, Allen 3160(wife's), Allen LL324, Allen GW319EX, ADC4600, many others. E-organ shop to fund free organ lessons for kids.

Comment

• myorgan
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          John,

Thank you for sharing your process for shipping an organ in a cargo truck.

The only difference I make when transporting an organ, is to place the organ with its back toward the front of the box, and strapped to the front of the box. The organ will be front-heavy, so be aware it will probably tip toward the front of the organ (toward the back of the box). If you put it on the side of the box, it will tend to tip as you turn toward the side the organ is secured to. On the front, it is very unlikely your truck will have enough power to tip the organ backwards as you accelerate. Also, the box is generally a little slanted forward rather than completely level.

Also, rather than stacking the speakers in columns, I pack them laying down, but interlocked rather than in vertical columns. If they are interlocked, there is much less likelihood of a couple of speakers running away on you.

Hope that helps.

Michael
          Last edited by myorgan; 10-23-2019, 04:23 PM.

I’m on my way home with all the stuff. Turns out it had 16 speakers so four went in the car
        Can't play an note but love all things "organ" Responsible for 2/10 Wurli pipe organ, Allen 3160(wife's), Allen LL324, Allen GW319EX, ADC4600, many others. E-organ shop to fund free organ lessons for kids.

Comment

All got home safely last night. Today we'll unload at the shop and see just what we got.

Comment

I posted in another (older) thread about the company I used, A-1 Auto Transport, & was directed here since it's more recent. In my experience, most moving companies will say that they can & will ship organs & other related components, but I'd probably stick with the companies that either move organs/pianos exclusively or, like the one I mentioned, do it regularly as a part of their overall moving and shipping services. Always a good idea to talk to them first & make sure they know their stuff.

Comment

• southernscots
              southernscots commented
              Editing a comment
              I did call A-1 Auto Transport, was informed they only ship vehicles. Perhaps they would ship non-vehicular items some time ago under a previous policy, but apparently no longer do/will (according to their 800 number phone rep). Thanks for the suggestion though.

southernscots,

I've been reading this thread with interest. Not because I have to move an organ, but because we (our church) were in the same boat back at the beginning of the year. We had to move an Allen ADC-6000 from the Cape area in Massachusetts to the Western end of the state, about 170 miles (3+ hours travel time depending on traffic) or so. They had to remove the organ and speakers (16, mostly HC12's) from the previous owner's home, which was NOT an easy task. (I had seen and played the organ at the seller's house before we purchased. Up until that time, I was contemplating renting a truck and moving it ourselves. Once I saw what had to be done at his end, the decision to use the professional movers was made! ) They used 4 guys at that end, and 3 at our end. Our end was a bit easier as the church is on ground level. Not sure if I can talk the actual prices here, but what the heck...The original estimate was about $1,700. The moving company was recommended by the previous owner who had used them for moving other organs. The final bill came in at around $2,800...BUT...I had them move the 16 speakers up into our loft area, something which wasn't in the original estimate because I thought we could do it ourselves. When I saw the physical size and weight of the speakers, I asked if they could put them in the loft. Thankfully, they did. Plus I gave each of the three "kids" LOL who moved it a real good tip...let's just say, all told, it came in a bit over $3,000.

That said, NO ONE got hurt. In my younger days, I might've chanced to do the move ourselves as I HATE paying someone for something I could do. On the plus side, the instrument arrived in excellent condition and I'm STILL in the physical condition that I can play it! LOL They did the necessary dis-assembly and reassembly, used PLENTY of moving blankets and had the "smarts" movers develop who do such things all of the time.

That said, I'm just really curious as to what it's going to cost to move the organ you're looking at over that distance. In my search (over the past 8 years or so), most available organs were located quite some distance from our location and I didn't feel comfortable about buying something "sight unseen", so where ever I purchased one, I'd have to drive or fly out to first. The organ we ultimately ended up with was one of the few that was actually close enough for me to drive out to see and play, and then drive back, within a day's time.

Good Luck with the move. I hope you're able to find some folks who know what they're doing and can do it at a reasonable price. One possibility is that maybe two people could fly out to the seller's location, rent a truck and pay some movers to load it up for you. Then you two drive it back, and pay for movers at your end to put it in it's final location. That was something I had contemplated as well, should we have had to purchase an organ located much more than a day's travel away.

~Rick

Comment

Southernscots,

Do you have the 1105 yet? How are things going with the organ?

Michael
              Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
              • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
              • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
              • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Hello all,
                I'm thrilled to report that the organ was picked up last week and delivered to Mr. Birdsong in Arkansas for cleaning and checkup. He's going to repair what is needed to get back into tip-top shape, and then we may look into some add-ons after he fully investigates what the thing is capable of.

I did end up going with Mr. Russell Lauderback for the move, who was extremely prompt and completely professional. Cost ended up being a little over $3k, similarly as Rick stated their cost was in the post above, but only because we were in a bit of a hurry and delivery schedules had to be rearranged, which essentially doubled the quote. Speakers ended up having to be lugged down two flights of stairs as the church secretary wasn't able to get help on her end to get everything moved down from the attic beforehand and probably couldn't have managed it alone. Russell got some movers in to assist at the site and handled it all masterfully. He made the trip from CO to AR in a day, departing on Friday and delivering on Saturday (TWO DAYS earlier than the planned Monday stop, rearranging his schedule again at his own expense) in order to get ahead of the bad weather that was coming in so they wouldn't have to worry about unloading in rainy conditions (which we just had through here last night, tornados and all. Sadly, two people were killed in a small town about 40 miles to my west, and one person in Louisiana. Please remember the families of those lost and all those who have suffered and will for some time to come with the losses of their homes and businesses as well from this tragedy). Also, please remember Russell as he travels around all over the country, delivering our precious organ cargo and whatever else. He gladly accepts prayers for safe travels! He's apparently one of the few left that does this on his own, and I highly recommend seeking his services with complete confidence if you are in need of an organ mover. His contact number is 407-301-2474, as someone had previously posted.

Can't wait to see where we go from here! Will post more as Mr. B. gets into it and finds out what all is going on. He did state it appeared to be in remarkable condition for its age, and I have included some pics from the pickup and delivery. Hopefully not too much longer before it will be making its way on over to Alabama from Arkansas!
                Cheers,
                Cameron

Comment

More pics...

Comment

• myorgan
                    myorgan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice organ. I can't wait to hear the assessment and potential recordings!

Michael

I, for one, am rather curious about those two square speaker cabinets. Perhaps John B can chime in here and tell us what they are.
                  Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Saville Series IV Opus 209; Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Gulbransen Rialto; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI.

Comment

Southernscots, I'm happy for you and your church ! You will love that organ for sure. I'm also pleased that Mr. Russell Lauderback handled your move so nicely. It is sometimes not a good idea to recommend someone you have never actually worked with after all. But I was convinced from our phone conversations that he knew his stuff.
                    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Baldwin 626. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755.

Comment

Russell certainly deserves mention as one of the best organ movers I've ever worked with! Getting that big "D" console into the shop was no small feat, and I'm not able to help much, with my bad joints and stuff, but we soldiered on. It took over two hours to get it all unloaded, largely because the console had to be completely unwrapped and the top removed before it would come in through our door, which is barely 35" with the door panel itself removed. Russell and I got a chance to visit quite a bit, and he even wound up going to church with us the next morning! He is himself in the ministry, and said that he was blessed by worshiping with us. We included him and his ministry in our prayers that morning at church. I highly recommend him for your organ moving, but please be willing to pay what he asks. He is worth every penny, and he will not overcharge you!

I too have been curious about those two oddball speaker cabinets, and once they arrived here it was obvious they are not of Allen manufacture. They COULD be some site-built or third-party speakers that were part of the reverb system, as this organ is equipped with two separate amps for the Allen digital reverb that was part of the installation (the "TAS" unit that Allen offered back before the ADAC and the ADR-4). This TAS unit and its associated amps occupy a secondary amplifier rack all to themselves, as you may see in pictures above. (Or they could simply be part of some prior church sound system, and the church folks for some reason just thought they went with the organ.)

What I'm sure of is that they are not "bass" cabinets, and are in fact quite small and only about 6" deep. So it seems that this organ didn't come with a subwoofer of any kind, far as I can tell. That's not surprising, since it has HC-12s on all channels, and the bass output of that cabinet by itself is pretty awesome, probably sufficient in all but the largest rooms.

I haven't analyzed the amp rack yet, so if we discover a bass crossover, we'll assume that there was at one time a sub with it, but perhaps it was lost. Russell was certain that he retrieved every speaker that was associated with this organ, that the church still had on the premises.

Since the organ arrived at the very peak of the Christmas rush, when we are scheduled tight just about every working day, it will probably be right after Christmas when we get it assembled and begin testing. It looks amazingly good for an organ built in the early 80's. Just peering at the HC-12 woofers and midranges through the grille cloth, it doesn't appear that they are all completely rotted out, though I do see cracks in the foam. They'll probably all require new foam rings, but at least we can be confident that they haven't damaged their own coils due to cones flapping in the breeze.

So Cameron has landed himself a very nice organ, about as fine an instrument as Allen ever built. The 1105 that we sold to a church here a few years back still amazes me every time we go over to service it. A big MOS-2 like this incorporates all the best stuff that Allen could do after 10+ years experience building digital organs, before they took some new directions in the ADC and MDS eras.

It's still my opinion that Allen was on top of the organ world in 1982, and with their large MOS-2 organs they produced the finest organ sound ever, still unsurpassed in many ways, even by current technology. Sure the latest ones have all kinds of whiz-bang features and thousands of memories and MIDI voices, and every note of every stop can theoretically be tuned and voiced, but when it comes right down to an organ that sounds and works like an organ, a big MOS-2 has what it takes, and I for one would be totally satisfied with one of these, and never miss the note by note regulation!

We look forward to getting this one in perfect working order and perhaps customizing it a bit, since there are some MOS-2 features that weren't fully implemented in this model, but fairly easily to enable with some jumpers and diodes. I'll post some more info (with Cameron's permission) once we get it going.
                      John
                      ----------
                      *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Working...
                      X