No announcement yet.

Organ Freight/Shipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just happened across this thread–is there an update?

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

• jbird604
      jbird604 commented
      Editing a comment
      There is, or should be! We have completed the maintenance and servicing, and made some interesting additions to the disposition. The OP came to the shop to see it in February, and took some of the easily handled parts home himself. But then the stupid virus happened, and put a stop to everything! At this time the console and speakers are still in the shop, and we'll have to wait until some of the restrictions are lifted before we attempt to ship it out.

He and I have recently talked, and I am planning to start a thread just to talk about the repairs, changes, and upgrades we made on this 1105. It was quite an adventure, and satisfying too.

So maybe I'll get motivated to write it up soon!

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Please include photos!!!

Michael

• Larrytow
      Larrytow commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, photos please ! Michael beat me to it this time - LOL

Hi,
    As John posted above, I did indeed visit him at the shop to check progress and see what had been done to date (it was actually 7 March, JB - I know, the days are really running together during this lockdown haha!). Was about a 6 hour drive over, so I traveled over on Friday afternoon, got a room close by for the night, and we met Saturday morning so we could visit for a bit and I could get back on the road and be home Saturday night - trip worked out very well. Since the organ was coming to me in Alabama from Colorado, it made perfect sense to make a pit stop on the way to let him get it back in tip-top shape. It was great to meet John in person and spend a little time visiting together! My Allen-designated repairman is 3 hours away in Montgomery, so I'm certain those service call costs would be pricey. Including pic of John with the console, with his prior permission. I'm thrilled to report that the organ is fully repaired and sounds WONDERFUL! And it's HUGE!

I'll leave the details of what they did for him to cover in a new thread, but I have tasked him with one last effort and we thought maybe posting about it here might garner more ideas. The task is: trying to make some decent use of those darn blank tabs! There is one each in the Ped, Gr, Sw, and another one in the General section. I'd like to have something wired that I cannot get a card from Allen for, if possible (such as another 32-ft stop for the pedal blank, etc). The organ does not have the SDDS cage, so that is not a potential route for expansion. I could possibly get Allen to burn new EPROMs if space is available; or there were a couple other potential connection possibilities John mentioned in previous posts back in 2012-13 that I've asked him to look at rigging up if there are no EPROM spaces. Those include 1) adding a diode to the tone strip; and/or 2) enabling unused stops already in the ROM chips. If anyone has ideas, please chime in. Speaking of chimes, the chime transformer is active, so I do want to leave that tab as-is in the Choir instead of re-wiring it to an additional voice, as I may purchase a chime set later (we had discussed the possibility of re-wiring it to a Krummhorn). Maybe nothing else can be done, or some combination of the processes above (custom EPROMs/diode/enabling unused stops) could be manipulated to activate some or all of those blanks. I'm not remotely dissatisfied if nothing else can be done, I just want to explore all possibilities and take full advantage of the organ being there in John's shop for the exploration with his expertise, as I know whatever we do here will be it for this organ for the foreseeable future, unless/until I incorporate MIDI at some point.

Also, the dolly you see in the pic behind the console came with it from the church. I have absolutely no use for it, don't know anyone here who might could use it, and am leaving it for John to dispose of as he wishes. If he doesn't want to keep it, he may sell it to an interested party. It holds the console with pedals attached, and appeared to be in good shape other than needing a board or two nailed back tightly. So if you might want it, check with him. Everyone stay safe, keep calm, and play the organ!
    Cameron
    Attached Files

Comment

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Larry,

The point of having 2 wheels not rotate is so that when the organ is on stage, or placed on a platform, it doesn't roll into the orchestra pit. Pivoting wheels can (presumably) allow the organ to roll in any direction that's downhill. Presumably, non-pivoting wheels will allow the stage crew to predict the direction of movement if there is any.

I have pivoting wheels only on my organ platforms, and have found I need to trig all the wheels on stage. Some people just mindlessly lean against it and are surpised when it moves. Fortunately, the organ weighs more than most people, so it doesn't move as easily as people do.

Michael

• Larrytow
      Larrytow commented
      Editing a comment
      The back end of that one would still move easily if someone leaned on it I would think. Guess I don't have much experience with platforms on a stage. I have most all of the large machines in my shops on wheels, including some of the organs, and except for my big tool chest they all have swivels on each corner. It takes more room to move things if they have fixed wheels on one end.

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      That is true, Larry. That's why I've used swivels on all my platforms as well. Fixed wheels also make it quite difficult to maneuver inside a trailer, with the two fixed wheels having to be on the proper end to maneuver the organ properly.

For the purpose of a platform, fixed wheels are highly overrated.

Michael

Cameron,

Thank you so much for sharing the information and photo. However, John looks a bit older than the one I met about 10 years ago!

Regarding the blank tabs, may I suggest a MIDI implementation? Admin (Zuma Group) used to make a MIDI adaptor for MOS-2 organs. It was note-on, note-off only, but it would allow you to add MIDI devices.

The other suggestion is the one, to which you already alluded in your post. John has been posting in a thread about those modifications, but if you're interested in any of them, now is the time to get them done while they're with the master! Hope you don't mind the suggestions.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, Cameron. That is the device. You can read the installation manual online, if I remember right.

Once you (or John) have (has) installed the MIDI device in the organ, at that point you could use Allen's MIDI expander, John's Content or Ahlborn MIDI modules, or any other MIDI device (perhaps Hauptwerk) to add voices to your organ, or to play entire organs that have been sampled from organs all over the world.

Talk to John (jbird604) if you're interested in installing it or using it for extra voices, and he can probably explain it better in person than I can.

Michael

• jbird604
      jbird604 commented
      Editing a comment
      The adaptor from Zuma works beautifully. We installed it on another 1105 and used it to drive an Allen Expander. It's a superb piece of equipment, very easy to install, and doesn't cost much either. MIDI is a very good way to add an almost unlimited number of additional sounds to an organ. A MIDI stop then becomes as useful as any stop on the organ, operated with a knob or tab. Similar to the way the Card Reader adds a huge number of extra voices. Of course to get any new MIDI sounds you have to get the tone generator device of your choice. The MIDI adapter itself doesn't make any sounds, just sends out keying data to an external tone-creating device. The best external tone generator devices can cost a lot of money -- I think Allen charges over $3000 for the basic Expander module nowadays. Other choices include a computer with VPO software installed, which is often cheaper than a hardware solution.

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      John,

Allen's Expanders occasionally show up on *Bay. Prices vary.

Michael
Working...
X