Another Allen ADC question from a curious mind - the USSC board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Allen ADC question from a curious mind - the USSC board

Since I'm still recovering from my annoying cold I've turned my curiosity to another point of Allen ADC organ function - the USSC stop control board. According to the diagram (pdf file attached), my 5300 uses all four sections of that board. The first two sections are the standard functions of turning off the trems when the crescendo or tutti are used. The 4th section turns on the percussion when the chimes tab is on (my instrument has chimes instead of the Hautbois stop).

But the 3rd section has two inputs from the REM outputs on the console multiplexer P239 for the 16' Pedal Bourdon stop and the 16' Lieblich Gedackt stop. I've read the discussion on here about the "lieblich function" on pipe organs, where the wind pressure is reduced on the same set of pipes to make a softer stop.

( https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...lich-mechanism )

Since the Pedal Bourdon and Lieblich Gedackt stops come from different tone generator sections, they are separate "ranks" and presumably independent. The output of that section of the USSC goes back to the console multiplexer board. It is also labeled "G10" which means nothing to me.

So what happens when I turn on those two stops at the same time? Does it kill the Pedal Bourdon stop to emulate what a pipe organ might do if it had only one 16' rank for both stops? Unfortunately I'm 250 miles from my instrument and can't experiment in person.

USSC Stop Control diagram for 5300.pdf
    Attached Files
    Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand name.

Main: Allen RMWTHEA.3 with Rocky Mount Electra-Piano, Allen 423-C + Gyro cabinet, Britson Opus OEM38, Saville Series IV Opus 209, Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI
    Lower Level: Hammond 9812H with roll player, Gulbransen Rialto, Roland E-200, Vintage Moog
    Shop: Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with 18 speakers and MIDI, 4 Allen theater organ tone cabinets (including 3 Gyros, but don't call me Gyro Gearloose!).

Originally posted by AllenAnalog View Post
    Since the Pedal Bourdon and Lieblich Gedackt stops come from different tone generator sections, they are separate "ranks" and presumably independent. The output of that section of the USSC goes back to the console multiplexer board. It is also labeled "G10" which means nothing to me.

So what happens when I turn on those two stops at the same time? Does it kill the Pedal Bourdon stop to emulate what a pipe organ might do if it had only one 16' rank for both stops? Unfortunately I'm 250 miles from my instrument and can't experiment in person.
    Larry,

No, it doesn't kill anything. Similar to a pipe organ, the Lieblich just sounds softer and becomes part of the ensemble. Best practice on a pipe organ is to use just the Bourdon 16' instead of including the Lieblich 16'.

Interesting few posts you've made. I'm looking forward to learning what you find out!

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Working...
    X