This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What model of Rodgers is this???????

I was at Keyboard Kastle in Omaha Nebraska today and I saw a rodgers organ for sale. I was playing it and liked the sound. The manager said it was around 30 years old and they have fully serviced it for a long time. I don't know what model it is. HELP ME!!!</p>

O.k. I will describe it as best as I can. 2 Manuals. Lighted plexy Glass music rack. Key start on the left of keyboard wich is on a slanted piece of wood. 32 note pedals. 2 expressions. <u>NO</u> CRESENDO! 1 toe stud wich is a SFZ. switch. White tabs, couplers black. reeds are ingraved in red. Only 3-6 pistons under manual 2. Rodgers name plate on right side of manual, on a slated piece of wood. Light oak cabinet if that helps.</p>

Here is one that is SOME WHAT SIMILAR!! Smaller than the one I am looking at.</p>

</p>

</p>

LOOK AT THE SIDE OF KEYBOARD! That is the slanted part I was talking about
    </p>

L</p>

Can ANYONE tell me about this organ. Such as the sound, quality, and Is it worth $1500?</p>

Thank you all for helping!
    </p>

</p>

</p>

Re: What model of Rodgers is this???????

[quote user="Brandon Tuomikoski"]

I was at Keyboard Kastle in Omaha Nebraska today and I saw a rodgers organ for sale. I was playing it and liked the sound. The manager said it was around 30 years old and they have fully serviced it for a long time. . . . .Can ANYONE tell me about this organ. Such as the sound, quality, and Is it worth $1500? [/quote]</P>

At the outset,this ancient instrument has absolutely $ZERO commercial value; the kind of albatross the dealer will be grateful to unload without incurring costs for carting it to the local dump!! So that provides you with a whole lot of room for negotiation. Like . . . $500 for a working, installed instrument, would be considered a bonus-benefit for the dealer.</P>

Then comes the "I liked the sound" observation. More often than not, positive initial impressions can leave those who don't know what to listenfor in electronic organs,withan instrument that will positively drive them up the wall in very short order; to the point that the sound will become so offensive, that theywill never play it again!! And when it comes to Rodgers, even current models tend to leave me pleading for mercy.</P>

For organs of thatera, I would tendto direct the focus my questmore toward Conn products. Even to thisday, I stillhavefond memories of Conn products as someof the best soundingorgans of the era!</P>

</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    2008: Phoenix III/44

Comment

Hi,</p>

The picture looks to be a model 100 or model 110. </p>

Without knowing the model #, it is hard to know exactly what you are looking at. But if in good condition, and "only" 30 years old, it is worth only as much as you are willing to pony up for it. Basically, this organs don't have a market, hence they are nigh near worthless. I would say $1,500 is on the high side, unless delivery and some sort of warranty is included.</p>

As to the sound, it is relatively decent for 70s analog, but kind of limited in it's ensemble (1 set of ocillators) and colour (these organs had lots of unification).</p>

AV
      </p>

Comment

[quote user="Brandon Tuomikoski"] O.k. I will describe it as best as I can. 2 Manuals. Lighted plexy Glass music rack. Key start on the left of keyboard wich is on a slanted piece of wood. 32 note pedals. 2 expressions. <U>NO</U> CRESENDO! 1 toe stud wich is a SFZ. switch. White tabs, couplers black. reeds are ingraved in red. Only 3-6 pistons under manual 2. Rodgers name plate on right side of manual, on a slated piece of wood. Light oak cabinet if that helps.

Can ANYONE tell me about this organ. Such as the sound, quality, and Is it worth $1500?[/quote]</P>

Brandon,</P>

The organ you showed in the photo was manufactured in the early to mid 1970's. I played a Rodgers Cambridge 720 (740?) in my old church (mfg. 1974), and it sounded quite nice. In fact, if you PM me, I can direct you to a website where you can hear samples of the organ being played. While it is probably larger than the one you're looking at, you'll get the idea. On the same website, I have recordings of pipe organ as well. The difference is there, but hard to determine to the untrained ear.</P>

The organ is analog, and the console will be HEAVY. Rodgers did not go digital until the late 80s or early 90s. While analog organs do not command much of a price (usually less than $1,000--depending on their size), some are quite nice instruments. You'll find the Rodgers to be well-appointed, with at least:</P>
        <UL>
        <LI>Diapason Chorus (8', 4', 2', +Mixture) [on the Great only]</LI>
        <LI>Flute Chorus (16', 8', 4', 2', and sometimes 1') [Swell and Great]</LI>
        <LI>Strings, Reeds, and a couple of Mutations</LI>
        <LI>Couplers at 8' and 4' pitches will further expand your options (black in the pictures)</LI>
        <LI>Usually there is some sort of Celeste on either or both manuals (depending on size). One celeste will be a String, and the other will be a Flute.</LI>[/list]

The combination action is on a setter-board which you will find on a slide-out drawer under theGreat. The only problem I had with the Rodgers I played, is thatEVERYBLASTED NOTE IS TUNED INDIVIDUALLY!!! That meant that when the Ab pedal intermittently played ½ step off, I had to transpose to a different key in order to avoid the note until it "fixed itself." The organ service man was never able to find it.</P>

The organ will probably serve you well, for what you're looking for. As mentionend before, just don't over-pay!</P>

Hope this helps.</P>

Michael</P>

Michael</P>
        Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
        • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
        • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

I totally agree on the conn organ part. They have a few conns. One is a 642. Thats out of the question since I need 32 pedals. They have a 650, way beond repairable, totally busted up. Then There is the AMAISING CONN 653!!!! BUT ITS $8000!!! I could only dream of one. The only other 32 pedal organs they have next to the rodgers are BRAND NEW ALLENS!!! But they are $45,000 and WAY UP!!! </p>

I disagree on the Rodgers being crap. NO SCRATCHES TO BE FOUND. NO PROBLEMS. NO OFF SOUNDS. NO SCRATCHY SOUNDS FROM SPEAKERS. ITS THE BEST Sounding organ they have next to the conn and Allens.</p>

Comment

I am traideing my Hammond CV for it.\\</p>

</p>

</p>

TO ALL::: THE ORGAN PICTURED IS NOT NEARLY AS BIG AS THE RODGERS I AM GETTING. IT ONLY LOOKS SIMILAR</p>

Comment

You might be looking at a Rodgers 220. Does it have divided expression plus a crescendo pedal? If it is a 220, it has one and a half rows of oscillators for the main voicing, plus another row for Celeste stops, and is a fairly formidable organ. Even smaller Rodgers often had the extra row of generators for the Celeste stops. If it has a fair complement of speakers, and is set up right, I think you could be happy with it.</P>

I know that many here on the Forum will deprecate the old oscillator organs, but some of them are actually quite good. I recently helped a church set up the Rodgers organ that was given to them by another church. It had two large speaker cabinets for the manual voices, and a separate bass speaker cabinet for the pedals, and really sounded quite decent.</P>
              Mike

My home organ is a Theatre III with an MDS II MIDI Expander.

Comment

That meant that when the Ab pedal intermittently played ½ step off, I
                had to transpose to a different key in order to avoid the note until it
                "fixed itself."
                </p>

Congregational stuff must have been interesting in your church! [:P]
                </p>

Comment

It couldn't be a 220. It is a tab instrument. Only divided expression NO CRESCENDO PEDAL!!! Only 1 toe stud witch is a SFZ.

Comment

Hi,</p>

Yes it could be a 220. The 220 came out in tab and drawstop versions. It also came out in a second iteration as 220 II. </p>

It was a very good organ in it's day.</p>

Arie V.</p>

Comment

I think Arie is correct. The original "Specification 220" also has a single toe stud and it's a tutti stud, which agrees with what Brandon reports. Everything about it agrees withwhat he says,except that the 220 has a crescendo pedalinstead ofdivided expression.</P>

Brandon, you may be mistaken about the organ having 2 expression pedals, as the second one may in factbe acrescendo.</P>

Now that you've made a deal for it, please let us know what the model is!</P>

If it's a 220, that is indeed a quite nice old analog. Ought to last for a long time, but you'll need a knowledgeable and agreeable technician to service it. Too many techs are unwilling to keep an oldie like this going.</P>

John</P>
                      <P mce_keep="true"></P>
                      John
                      ----------
                      *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Well. I only played the organ for a few minutes BECAUSE I WAS WAY TO EXCITED TO RUN OVER AND PLAY THE NEW ALLEN 3 MANUAL 50 STOP ORGAN!!. </p>

It may be a 220 after all. I thought it was a divided expression. But I wasn't interested and Didn't think I was really going to get it.</p>

</p>

Does any one have a picture of a 220 as I still may be mistaking it for something else. Thanks</p>

Comment

[quote user="Choirmaster"] That meant that when the Ab pedal intermittently played ½ step off, I had to transpose to a different key in order to avoid the note until it "fixed itself."

Congregational stuff must have been interesting in your church! [:P][/quote]</P>

Especially when there wasa pianist!</P>
                          Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                          • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                          • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                          • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Brandon,</P>

I've uploaded the Rodgers 220 brochure to zshare, and you can download it by clicking this link. Beware that people hate zshare because you have to see some ads before you download. Just click on the big red button in the upper right that says "skip ad" and then it will let you download the file.</P>

This is the complete sales brochure and includes several pictures. On the last page you can see the single toe stud and also the slanted blocks at the ends of the keyboards and the key type power switch on the left. Pretty much looks as you described. Here's the link:</P>

http://www.zshare.net/download/92176744c7a7c7/</P>

John</P>
                            John
                            ----------
                            *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

As I understand it, 220's had divided expression PLUS crescendo pedal, and YES, they did come in either drawknob or stoptab models. </P>

I have the stoptab model, and if what you are looking at is the 220, I can send you the complete manual for it, if you do get it. I have gutted mine in order to convert it to digital sound production. The process is moving slowly because I am still trying to figure out Hauptwerk's Custom Organ Design Module.</P>
                              Mike

My home organ is a Theatre III with an MDS II MIDI Expander.

Comment

Working...
                              X