This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodgers 530 and the phantom tremulant

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Courier; font-size: 14px; "><div style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">I have a Rodgers 530. (Two manual, digital sampled, made in Italy by Roland Italy.)  It is a great practice organ, very clear inner voices, nice stops, and pleasant to play and hear. <div>
    </div><div> It has recently developed a strange issue.  The first symptom was that the swell seemed to have a tiny touch of tremolo even when the tremolo is off.  When I adjust the tremolo rate, the "phantom tremolo" gets the new adjustment.  The shake is audible on a single note on a single stop.  Every note has the same shake.  <div>
    </div><div>At first only the Swell was affected.  Now the great is doing it also. The amount of shake is very very slight, and not a bother in fast music, but if you hold a long note, particularly with one or two stops, it is very audible.  On the 530 the great doesn't even have a tremolo.  I was practicing the Elgar Vesper Voluntaries, and the obligatory English Swell sounds were particularly annoying because of the shake. </div><div>
    </div><div>I don't really understand the circuitry of this organ.  I come from the analog-tube era.  Can this be a power supply problem?  I thought about maybe a current leakage in the tremolo stop switch, but that doesn't explain how the great would be affected. I thought about it being a board problem but the fact that it now affects the great would seem to rule that out.  (Unless, of course, the 530 has the same board as the 535 which does have a great tremolo.)  </div><div>
    </div><div>When I moved the organ from the dining room to the parlor about a month ago, the problem became more noticeable, which I think is because the organ is now in a corner and there is a side wall reflecting the sound from the internal speakers in the knee panel up to my ears.  When I moved it,  I plugged a surge supressor into the wall and plugged the organ, my Yamaha sub (which sits on its back behind the music rack) and my light into it.  The light is incandescent. It does have one of those long tubular bulbs with the straight filament, but I don't see how the vibration from the sub would shake the filament and that could transfer back up the power line.  </div><div>
    </div><div>I have the voicing guide, and have tuned out most of the chorus on all the high pitched stop groups.  Still, all the stops shake the same amount--both great and swell, bass and treble.  In addition, the shake is the same no matter what the reverb setting.  If I retune the pitch or use the transposer, the effect remains. </div><div>
    </div><div>Could it be something in the stereo setup creating beats?  I don't think so.  </div><div>
    </div><div>I have ruled out in my mind that there was shake in the samples because every note on every stop has the same amount of faux tremolo.  </div><div>
    </div><div>There is also an issue with noise in the amplifier-- a bit of buzz that's not present in headphones, but I fail to see how this could also be causing the shake, unless what I'm hearing is an intensity change rather than a pitch change, but my ears tell me it's pitch.  Could there be an oscillation going on in a circuit--a ping pong effect-- that is doing this, and if so, how would you fix it?</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Any ideas? </div></div>

<div apple-content-edited="true"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; "><div style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Courier; font-size: 14px; "><div style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 16px; "><div style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><div><div style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><div><font class="Apple-style-span" size="4"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 14px; "><font class="Apple-style-span" face="'Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold'">=========================</font></span></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" size="4"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 14px; "><font class="Apple-style-span" face="'Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold'">Bob Moody</font></span></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" size="4"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 14px; "><font class="Apple-style-span" face="'Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold'">[email protected]</font></span></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" size="4"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 14px; "><font class="Apple-style-span" face="'Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold'">www.bobmoody.org</font></span></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" size="4"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 14px; "><font class="Apple-style-span" face="'Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold'">1-800-326-9192</font></span></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" size="4"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 14px; "><font class="Apple-style-span" face="'Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold'">The four-way test of the things we think, say, or do:</font></span></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" size="4"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 14px; "><font class="Apple-style-span" face="'Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold'">First: Is it the TRUTH?</font></span></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" size="4"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 14px; "><font class="Apple-style-span" face="'Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold'">Second: Is it FAIR to all concerned? </font></span></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" size="4"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 14px; "><font class="Apple-style-span" face="'Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold'">Third: Will it build GOOD WILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS? </font></span></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" size="4"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 14px; "><font class="Apple-style-span" face="'Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold'">Fourth: Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?</font></span></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" size="4"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 14px; "><font class="Apple-style-span" face="'Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold'"><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></font></span></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" size="4"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 14px; "><font class="Apple-style-span" face="'Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold'">Rotary International: "Service Above Self"</font></span></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" size="4"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 14px; "><font class="Apple-style-span" face="'Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold'"><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></font></span></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" size="4"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 14px; "><font class="Apple-style-span" face="'Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold'">**Music Students scored 98 to 106 points higher on the 2001 SATs than students with no arts participation**</font></span></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" size="4"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 14px; "><font class="Apple-style-span" face="'Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold'"><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></font></span></font></div></div><font class="Apple-style-span" size="4"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 14px; "><font class="Apple-style-span" face="'Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold'">Substitute Organist (by choice).  I play Lutheran (both ELCA and Missouri Synod), Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Brethren, Episcopal, and Jewish services, plus weddings and funerals of any denomination including Roman Catholic.  I practice at home on my Rodgers 530 in the dining room.  I have been playing the organ in church for 50 years.</font></span></font></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold'; font-size: 14px; font-weight: bold;">
    </span></div></div></span></div></span></div></span></div></div></span>
Working...
X