This is what an Allen MOS-1 sounds like in a decent size room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what an Allen MOS-1 sounds like in a decent size room

As JBird and others have pointed out, an Allen MOS-1 organ can sound quite amazing given the right room. Being a 600 model it has two computers and four audio channels, so not a basic model. A surprisingly credible sound for 1971 digital. Clearly some reverb has been added.

Posted by Jonathan Arthur Farnsley on the Allen Organ Owners Group Facebook page:

"Hello! I thought I'd post some videos of the 1971 Allen MOS-600 that I removed from the Auditorium of Columbus East High School, in Indiana. It now resides in a collection of instruments in a Barn Hall in Acme, Indiana. The organ was used only a handful of times throughout the years at the school. It is in immaculate condition. Allen additionally built the dolly that the console resides on. The amplifiers are all located within. There are 10 speaker cabinets for the main channels and 4 speaker cabinets for the "Stage" channels."

Of course the Acme Organ Institute is quite the interesting home of several pipe organs as well.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Acme-...94441953983821

More performances on the MOS-1 and other instruments (pipe and electronic) at Acme:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvg...wZ5r3Bw/videos
    Last edited by AllenAnalog; 05-21-2020, 07:55 PM.
    Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Saville Series IV Opus 209; Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Gulbransen Rialto; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI.

Larry,

I wonder if it has had reverb added or if that's the natural environment for the organ sounding. This is a case for NOT having an organ installed in a metal building–it rattles at 2:24 with low C in the pedal. It is also one of their earlier organs, as it has the sequential capture action (ca. 3:28).

Personally, I wouldn't have phrased Rigaudon in two note phrases, but I guess that's his style. I notice almost all of the videos were uploaded in the past week. I wonder why?

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      It also goes to prove John's statement about organ voicing that says something like: The room is, perhaps, the most important voice on the organ.

Michael

The room shown on the Acme Organ Institute Facebook page is beautiful. It is also in a beautiful setting. Nice to see some young people interested in the organ. I am sure many readers of this forum can relate to that. Thanks for posting this Larry.
    Bill

My home organ: Content M5800 as a midi controller for Hauptwerk

Comment

Amazing! Thank you, Larry, for posting this. So lovely. I suspect that this is real reverb, it doesn't sound at all fake. Nice catch, Michael, on the sequential action. The six general pistons are a dead giveaway too, as DM action always has 10 generals.

What strikes me about a MOS like this in a good room is that the sound is not only remarkably authentic, but it's 100% consistent. I think it's cool that today's digitals can be voiced in great detail, stop by stop and even note by note, but sometimes I think the voicers do more harm than good. This one has an incredible smooth and balanced scale from bottom to top without any voicing adjustments at all, other than the amplifier volume knobs and the bass boost pots on the DAC boards (if it has been upgraded to DAC3's there are also treble controls of course). But you could play this organ for hours and never be unnerved by some out of tune or out of scale note! Chalk up one for MOS!
      John
      ----------
      *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        John,

Your observation about the (presumably) unaltered voicing from the factory on the MOS-1 organ working so well in most spaces is not taken lightly. I tend to agree with you about "voicers" causing more harm than good. I know, in the past before I had your guidance or more directive guidance, I have certainly done my share of voicing damage in temporarily installations because I ran out of time and knew the organ as an instrument would never be heard alone (i.e. with orchestra or chorus).

Thank you, Larry for making this thread known to us! I'm hoping my garage will only sound half as good as this organ!

Michael

• jbird604
        jbird604 commented
        Editing a comment
        The thing about modern digital voicing -- and I'm speaking of Renaissance and others with note by note -- is that the voicer can make a big mess if he/she perceives problems that aren't really there. The R-230 that I got a couple years ago had evidence of a voicer gone amok, with dips and peaks in the scaling that must have been done in order to correct imagined flaws. Some years back I found where the voicer had attempted to get "more" out of a 32' stop on a big custom install, and had cranked up many of the bottom octave notes to the point where the amp clipped and actually REDUCED the level, so he had cranked them some more! Once I LOWERED the levels of the weak notes, they came back. SMH

While I applaud the increased realism of today's digitals, and I think having multiple audio channels is an advantage, you can't beat MOS for sheer perfection of the scaling and stop to stop balance. It's always right because it can't be messed up, as long as the installer sets the volume knobs of the two channels about the same and doesn't over-boost the bass on the DAC board.

That said, I do find that routing my MOS through the simple EQ controls on my outboard mixer allows me to optimize the tone quality, but that's only because I'm in such an abominably tiny space with no reverb.

In the 70's I installed an Allen MOS 301 in a very very wet acoustic. The sound was totally amazing - there was an honest 5 seconds of natural reverberation in that church.

So, yes, the room can make or break a wonderful installation. My church has 1.8 seconds and the AOB sounds terrific in there.

Comment

That’s why I am hoping to find a home for a 1203DK MOS1 we have. I can just imagine how those 8 channels would sound in the proper space.
        Can't play an note but love all things "organ" Responsible for 2/10 Wurli pipe organ, Allen 3160(wife's), Allen LL324, Allen GW319EX, ADC4600, many others. E-organ shop to fund free organ lessons for kids.

Comment

• myorgan
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd raise my hand for that one, but my wife would kill me for another organ. I need one about as much as I need another hole in my head!

Michael

Old technology at its best.
        Hammond RT-3, Estey circa 1903, Baldwin Acrosonic spinet piano, Fender Rhodes Mark I 73 stage piano.

Comment

• Dewey643
          Dewey643 commented
          Editing a comment
          And it sounded quite good in that room,too!
      Working...
      X