Allen MOS-1 120-C external speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen MOS-1 120-C external speakers?

So I have an Allen MOS-1 120-C organ. It plays really well, after I replaced the blown time-delay circuit (with a remote-controlled one). I have been playing it, and now I would like to be able to record/livestream it. My church has a MOS-1 300 series unit that has built-in RCA-output jacks. Unfortunately, my home 120-C only has amplified external speaker outputs (presumably for Allen's own speakers). I spliced those in one end of a 1/4" TRS cable so I can feed the audio into a mixer. Unfortunately, as I could guess, the amplified audio is much too powerful for that sort of cable (it distorts with only a few stops on, regardless of the mixer's volume), and I need to find some way to turn the volume down. I don't want to turn down the console speakers, though. My questions are:
    • Does anyone know if the volume of the external speakers on the MOS-1 organs can be adjusted independently of that of the console speakers?
    • Do you also happen to know how to adjust the pipe-simulating delays on the notes? (I have been fiddling with all the dials in the back of the unit, but there is no documentation available online, so I don't know what I'm doing)
    • On that note, does anyone know where to find some kind of service manual that explains what all the dials do? Most of them are labeled, but clarification would be really nice.
    Thanks a lot!

You need to attenuate the speaker level output down to a reasonable level that your mixer can handle. I usually put about 100K resistance in series, but in some cases have used up to 1 meg. It depends to some extent on exactly what kind of input circuit your mixer has. In a few cases, I've had to build a "voltage divider" circuit to make it work right. Just keep in mind that the output at the speaker terminals can be anywhere from a couple volts up to 40 or 50 volts AC on loud passages, and your mixer cannot tolerate more than a volt or so.

If you aren't tech-savvy enough to do this yourself, you can search online for a "speaker to line level converter" or something like that and get a ready-made attachment. That's probably the easiest and quickest way to do it.
    John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

• xopowo
      xopowo commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks a lot! I will pick up one of those converters. One more question, I know you have infinite knowledge of these digital organs; what does the dial on the "Keyboard Array" board control? Thanks!

• jbird604
      jbird604 commented
      Editing a comment
      If you mean thumbwheel on the KBA, I think there are at least a couple of those. One for tremulant speed, one for sustain length (maybe) and one for some other function I can't recall right now. They should be marked on the silkscreen.

• xopowo
      xopowo commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I'll have another look.

I put a 100K resistor on each channel, it wasn't quite enough so I added another in series. Now, everything is fine in the mixer (except it distorts a little with the 32' principle on the lowest note, but I won't be using that a lot). Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

Working...
    X