Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johannus Studio reliability?

Hi all,

Johannus is running a $7995 promotion for a Studio 170. My old Allen is dying, as I outlined in another thread. My tech tells me the Johannuses are junk and unreliable, that I should go with a Viscount instead. He has a connection to the Viscount dealer, but otherwise, I have no reason to believe he is stretching the truth. He's a generally trustworthy fellow. Of course the Johannus salesman says they never have to service these things. What do you all think? Should I take the risk on the Johannus?

Thanks!

I have limited technical experience with either brand, but if a tech you trust advises you, he probably has a reason. In some areas of the country, a particular brand (whether it's Allen, Rodgers, Johannus, Viscount, or whatever) may have a strong dealership and good tech, and then in other areas that same brand may be nearly unknown and unsupported. So taking advice from a trusted local tech is smart.

Both Johannus and Viscount have made good efforts to enhance their USA presence in recent years. Johannus of course joined forces with Rodgers, and now Rodgers dealers are also Johannus dealers, and thus have factory support for both brands. But that doesn't mean you can get local service just anywhere, as many smaller states (like mine) don't even have a dealership, so support is several hours away. Viscount has also enlarged their USA presence with a new sales organization and a new service rep. I have dealt with them recently, and believe they sincerely want to serve their customers well.

So talk to your tech and also ask around, try to locate churches or individuals who have bought these brands to see what kind of experience they have had after the sale.

Both brands are heavily invested in the low end of the price range, so you can probably find a Viscount model at about the same price point as the Johannus 170. You'd have to compare the features and quality of the two in order to decide which one is best for you.
    John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

I think finding out about after sale support is key to purchasing anything expensive, especially a musical instrument.

I started my search a few years ago looking at organs such as the Johannus Studio 170 along with smaller Rodgers models and a Noordlander VPO (no Viscount though). I didn't notice serious issues with any of the instruments but after hearing a number of them in one session, the Noordlander my ear lead me to look at other organs closer to virtual pipe organs. My choice was ultimately between the Viscount Sonus 40 (or 60) and the Johannus LiVE 3T-A: I chose the later because of the "no fuss great sound out of the box" AND I live in Southern California with support options. Also, at the time the only Viscount presence in the area was a phone number to call.

Like you, I also used this forum as part of the research--there's good experience and much wisdom to learn from members here.

Good researching to you, and good luck with whatever organ you choose.

Comment

This should be in one of the Electronic Organ forums.
        Thanks to Admin/Moderator in advance for moving it.

Comment

• jbird604
          jbird604 commented
          Editing a comment
          Done. Thanks for pointing this out. I had not noticed it was in "pipe organs" but I'd wondered why it wasn't getting much attention from the usual suspects.

Originally posted by sraevsky View Post
        Hi all,

Johannus is running a $7995 promotion for a Studio 170. My old Allen is dying, as I outlined in another thread. My tech tells me the Johannuses are junk and unreliable, that I should go with a Viscount instead. He has a connection to the Viscount dealer, but otherwise, I have no reason to believe he is stretching the truth. He's a generally trustworthy fellow. Of course the Johannus salesman says they never have to service these things. What do you all think? Should I take the risk on the Johannus?

Thanks!
        You already got some good answers. From Holland I can say, there is no special doubt about the reliability of both Johannus or Viscount. That is, both are regarded as 'reliable' here in the Low Lands and I can confirm that from experience of myself and some peers. This is confirmed by organ sellers who sell both brands: with regard to reliablility they see no difference between Johannus, Content or Viscount. So may be the presence of service in your neighbourhood and the specs of the organs must make out your choices.

Personally I think the Viscount Physis has more 'organ for the bucks' compared with the Johannus. it has an onboard sequenser, more intonation possibilities and hundreds of alternative voices. But the Studio is also a nice organ. Hear the demo's on the Johannus website.
        From both brands you can download the User Manual from their websites. I strongly recommend to do that and make a carefull comparison of the specs and posibilities. I did that myself a few years ago, because the modern digital organs are very versatile and I wanted to know if I could manipulate the sound in a way that was satisfying for me.

Good luck with your choice, it would be nice to hear the outcome!

regards, Dutchy.

Comment

Thanks! As it turns out, resetting my power supply in my old Allen has temporarily resurrected the beast. My dreams of buying a new instrument need to be put off for another day.

Comment

• Dutchy
            Dutchy commented
            Editing a comment
            OK, nice the old Allen got to life again, Much musical pleasure with it!

• myorgan
            myorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Odd how sometimes the simplest things can cause us to think we need to make an expensive change.

Michael

P.S. What model is your old Allen? I've only had one power supply have issues in my 505-B, but a $3 fuse fixed it.

• sraevsky
            sraevsky commented
            Editing a comment
            Indeed! It's an ADC 2110.

As a Johannus dealer, with several Studio organs out in the field, I've had one service call on them in the last 4 - 5 years. To say Viscount provides more organ for the money may be true. However, the Johannus Studio series allows you to adjust the volume of each stop on a NOTE BY NOTE basis (with a laptop computer and software provided to the dealer). Viscount only allows for adjustment of the volume of each stop on a PER OCTAVE basis. In some smaller rooms, this can make a huge difference in the results.

Comment

Working...
          X