Smaller speakers for a formerly church organ which is now in a home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smaller speakers for a formerly church organ which is now in a home

We recently bought a Rodgers Essex 645 which had been in a church for 19 years and then it was donated to a nursing home in 2007. After the resident organist died the nursing home needed the floor space. It is now in my living room. This organ does not have onboard speakers and there is a solid wood panel where the volume pedal is located not speaker fabric. The speakers that came with the organ are 2 M10s and 1 M6.

My question: Is it possible to purchase external replacement speakers which are smaller than the M10s and M6s but still as powerful? Technology has improved since 1988 and speakers are smaller. I spoke with an agent at Crutchfield about smaller speakers and he said he needed to know:
    [1] the impedance dynamic (what impedance it can handle)
    [2] the number of channels (is it 3?)
    [3] and the RMS wattage output per channel.
    So far, any documentation I have received from the Rodgers Organ Company has not been helpful regarding information regarding my 3 questions.
    Your knowledge and help is appreciated.

Hi, and welcome to the Forum. I just have a minute to reply right now, so this will be short. Yes, you can put different speakers on that organ, and they will likely be an improvement. Crutchfield is a great company ( been a customer for 30+ years ), but they ARE NOT the Place To GET ORGAN SPEAKERS from!!! Not something they know about at all. The speakers that will work best in your situation depends on several factors that I don't have time to inquire abut at this moment. Organ speakers are normally available on the used market, but you may need to do some searching to find the right ones.

The Rodgers organ company of today is a substantially different outfit than it was when they built your organ. Not getting much help with older instruments seems to be their business plan these days. No matter really - all the help and advice you want is right here on this Forum. There are many members with considerable experience with Rodgers, and I'm sure they will chime in on this thread soon enough.

Again, Welcome to the Organ Forum ! Putting a general location in your profile is nice, and it may well help you in finding some speakers.
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Baldwin 626. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755.

Comment

Specific to your questions:

1) The speakers can be from 4 to 8 Ohms impedance.

2) The organ is usually installed with 3 channels; two full range channels that cover from about 65 to 15k Hz; and one subwoofer channel that covers from 32 to about 150 Hz. (The top end is not critical). The subwoofer is normally passive--i.e., it does not have an amplifier installed in the speaker unlike most home theatre subwoofers.

3)The power of each channel is 100 watts maximum.

For the 2 channels, if you are handy, I suggest building these speakers: https://www.parts-express.com/samba-...inet--300-7121

For the subwoofer, this is an excellent choice: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-made...AAAOSww8de7-Ys

I have the technical manual for this organ (645/655) model as pdf files and can email them to you if you will send me a private message with your email address; the file sizes are too large to post here (about 50 mB).

Note: this would be better posted in the Church Electronic Organs section. Maybe one of our moderators will move it there.

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        So moved. Even though the organ is in your home, it is actually still a church organ, and you will find more help and assistance there.

Michael

Is there a subwoofer kit which would be suitable for this organ?

Comment

You might consider these:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ndle--300-7093

https://www.parts-express.com/passiv...-kit--300-7156

Comment

I have another question about this Rodgers Essex 645 organ: We have connected the original 2 M10s and 1 M6 speakers to the organ. As I was playing it sounded to me like all the brights (mixtures and 2's, etc.) suddenly cut out and as I played, I only heard the 8's and 4's. Have I connected the speaker wires incorrectly? What would cause that? Should I have a technician check it out?

Comment

You need to actually check to see if different pitches are not working rather than "it sounded to me like". It could be the tweeters in the speaker cabinets failed, which would give a dull sound, but the pitches would still work. Test each stop across the keyboard one by one to see if they are working or not.

Also, perhaps you hit a piston by accident, and changed the registration that way.
            Last edited by toodles; 06-30-2020, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X