Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-expensive home-practise organ - Domus DK50?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-expensive home-practise organ - Domus DK50?

Hello,
    as it is my first post here, a few words about me... I'm quite a newbie in the world of organs, I practise daily at home (on German reed organ) and at the local church (on unfortunately electric organ). Recently I decided to look for a home organ in manageable price, playing the organ is only a hobby of mine. As I still have problems with playing pedal and I can't always practice in church, I'm looking at organs with full pedalboard.
    And a Viscount Domus DK50 caught my eye. I don't really see a plenty of superlatives about that manufacturer but then... I'm after all just an amateur (with 11 years in electronics hobby, I'm sure this can be handy).
    Do you this it's worth buying? I can't find any useful info about it....

Best regards
    Piotr

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of that model will give you some advice. Generally, Viscount, Content, Johannus, and other companies with low priced products have good organs at low prices. The lower priced models will lack some deluxe features and may have fewer audio channels, but the sound samples should be good.
    John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Piotr,

Welcome to the Forum! Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the organs you will encounter in Poland, but we have members who are familiar and can advise you further. It will take a day or so for them to find your post.

Until then, welcome to the Forum, and I hope you continue to participate here for some time to come.

Michael
      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

• mrdc2000
        mrdc2000 commented
        Editing a comment
        Domus is manufactured by Viscount exclusively for the European market.

Hi Piotr,

I'm from Holland where Domus was sold for years. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with this particular model, I even dind't know such a model existed. Maybe it was sold in Holland under a different model name, but like you I could not find anything about this model.
      Domus with model names as Domus 4, Domus 5, Domus 40 etc might well be from the same era as the DK50. In that case it is presumably an analog organ from ca 1980-1985. They didn't sound bad for that times standards.

But, disclaimer, I'm not sure.

Would be nice to hear your final decision and experience with it (if you buy it)

regards, Dutchy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchy View Post
        Hi Piotr,

Domus with model names as Domus 4, Domus 5, Domus 40 etc might well be from the same era as the DK50. In that case it is presumably an analog organ from ca 1980-1985. They didn't sound bad for that times standards.
        Would be nice to hear your final decision and experience with it (if you buy it)

regards, Dutchy.
        Hi,
        I compared a few of those models to that Domus DK50 and it looks like Domus 5. SO maybe it's just another type of designation.
        I actually decided to buy it, I should have it in about two weeks, first I have to finish renovation of my basement. Are there any electrical schematics for those types of organs available? I would be happy to get familiar with them just in case.

Best regards
        Piotr

Comment

• myorgan
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Ask the company for any schematics you need. The sales representative should be able to accommodate you. It might cost something, though.

Michael

HI,
        On an old Viscount price list from 1989 there are several models, with DK as part of the designation. They appear pre digital and pre MIDI. There are organs listedas CL models,others Domus, several called Princeton. 2 other modeĺs, Recitative and Opera, which apear to be first generation digital Viscounts.
        if they were anything like the Galanti (divider technology) analog models, they would be rather poor in terms of build qaulity, as well as poor tonally.
        But they were built for cheap price to the customer.
        AV

Comment

I decided to buy this organ and I admit I'm not dissapointed. Everything works as it was described (although I had to slightly bend 3 or 4 contacts in the pedalboard). Sound is quite good for me although you can clearly hear that this is an electronic organ. But then even that big Ahlborn organ in my church can't match real pipe organ. I think for practise that's a very nice instrument.
          It was made in 1985 and it's definitely DK50 designation (it was first sold in Holland apparently). It's similar to Domus 4 (with 4,5 octaves) but a few different controls. One more thing.
          How hard is to retune an electronic organ? I suppose there's a master oscillator? The reason is the organ is tuned to 432Hz and I wonder if it makes sense to retune it to standard 440.

Regards
          Piotr

Comment

• jbird604
            jbird604 commented
            Editing a comment
            There is probably a single master tuning control somewhere. Might even be marked "tuning." It could be a slug inside a coil, and you would need a plastic hex tool or possibly just a plastic screwdriver to turn it. Or it could be something simpler such as a thumbwheel.

Look for a board labeled "generator" or "master oscillator" or something like that. It's also possible that there is an actual tuning control on the outside of the console somewhere and it would surely be marked "tuning."

Originally posted by Trumby View Post
          How hard is to retune an electronic organ? I suppose there's a master oscillator? The reason is the organ is tuned to 432Hz and I wonder if it makes sense to retune it to standard 440.
          Piotr,

Since the Domus is analog, my guess is there are individual oscillators which need to be tuned rather than one master oscillator. If you're lucky, there will only be one oscillator per pitch–all 12 of them (i.e. A, A#, B, C, C#, etc.). If it's set up like a Rodgers analog, each individual note has an oscillator. A manual for your Domus DK50 will be the only definitive answer to your question.

The answer to your question hinges on these questions:
          • Will you ever be playing this organ with other instruments?
          • If so, can the other instrument easily re-tune to match the organ?
          If you will always be playing alone, you can leave the pitch where it is. However, if you ever make recordings to post online, you may wish to alter the pitch before posting. This same question comes up when dealing with antique pianos (especially square grand pianos). Many of those instruments are tuned lower, and if you were to bring them up to pitch, the additional tension would cause the piano to fold in on itself. I'm not sure when tuning standardized in your country, but in America, it wasn't about the 1905s until it standardized here.

Hope this helps.

Michael
          • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Comment

Piotr,
            if you didn't find it already, here is the manual of the D4 / D5. https://viscountorgans.net/wp-conten...us-4-and-5.pdf. Probably (nearly) the same organ as yours. Strange enough there is a transposer but not a finetuning, May be the forum of te UK-viscount can help you further. https://viscountorgans.net/viscount-organs-forum/

Comment

So thanks to kind people from Viscount I have schematics of my model. It's different from Domus 4/5 although I suppose that block diagram is very similar. After familiarising myself with schematics (even though there's more that I don't understand than I do - completely new type of electronic circuitry for me) I decided to adjust organ to 440Hz. Overall that's 18 potentiometers to tune and check - two in the main oscillator for upper and lower manuals and pedal), third one for the reed stops generator, and 15 fine tuning potentiometers for each 5 transposer notes (reeds, upper and lower manual). I don't like that PCBs are poorly described (some not at all).
              By the way, is there some rule in tuning the reed stops? I tuned them in unison with the rest but maybe there's more pleasant effect I don't know about?
              I also enclose some pictures of the disposition and the inside.
              Right now everything works and I hope it stays that way for a long time. Only drawback is hardened foam on pedalboard - I'm planning to replace it with thick felt.

Best regards
              Piotr
              Attached Files

Comment

• Dutchy
                Dutchy commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for sharing! Glad it works, I wish you much musical satisfaction while playing thas nice instrument!

Piotr,

Thank you for sharing your photos as well as the fact you were able to obtain an owner's manual from Viscount! It could help someone in the future.
              Originally posted by Trumby View Post
              By the way, is there some rule in tuning the reed stops? I tuned them in unison with the rest but maybe there's more pleasant effect I don't know about?
              There are a couple of different ways you could tune the reeds. Some prefer the reeds are tuned exact, while others like to have them tuned a cent or two off so they stand out and form a Reed Chorus.

I see you have a stop (#42 Chorus II/I) which may provide that detuning for you, so you may not need to worry about Reed tuning any more than you already have. Your owner's manual should describe what that stop does.

Hope that helps.

Michael

Comment

This instrument has a nice specification. However, there is one rather curious anomaly.

I notice that Manual I has a 8' Voxe Coelestis, but no other string. If it is a principal rank intended to go with the 8' Prinzipal, I would have thought they would have called it a Voce Umana. If it is a single string rank, I wonder why they did not put it on Manual II where there is a 8' Viola da Gamba. If it is a 2 rank stop, it still seems odd that they put it on Manual I.

Bill

My home organ: Content M5800 as a midi controller for Hauptwerk

Comment

• myorgan
                  myorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bill,

I noticed that too, but thought it was on Manual II already (label hard to read) and just didn't have the companion string with it. I wondered if they voiced the Prinzipal to go with it, or planned to use the Flute with it (to the right on the list).

Great catch, Bill. I know it's a rather small thing, but when performing certain literature, it does limit the options somewhat–especially on a 2 manual instrument. If it were a 3-manual I could understand it could be created, but that would waste 2 manuals on one stop setting. These are things I look for when visiting a new organ or performing on a new organ.

Michael
              Working...
              X