Custom Allen analog organ in Nashville vs. Allen TC-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Allen analog organ in Nashville vs. Allen TC-8

While I was in Grand Junction this week I dug out my Allen Organ analog sales book and scanned the page for the TC-8. Since the original post about the custom Nashville organ has been closed (not sure why) I thought I'd put this information into a new post for posterity sake.

It's too bad no one from the Forum was able to see the instrument to examine it and take photos. The ad is still live on Craigslist and there would be a lot of equipment to remove so it seems odd that the seller has not responded. I have a feeling the Nashville instrument is destined for the dump.

The stop tabs on the Nashville organ. Pedal: 26; Swell: 28; Great: 24; Choir: 24; General: 2
    The stop tabs on the TC-8 info sheet. Pedal: 22; Swell: 20; Great: 18; Choir: 23; General: ?

The TC-8 certainly had a lot of equipment outside the console. Electronic Whind, Chiff, nine-channel audio with 10 speaker cabinets, relay rack, amplifier rack, and two tone generator units. The second diapason option for the great and swell shows 2 cabinets for an additional $720.

The 1964 sell sheet lists an optional capture combination action with independent generals (they are not independent on the setterboard unit) for $2,500. I wonder what the mechanism would have been since, as far as I know, this predates any solid-state combination action developed by Allen. The big organ in Sacramento had a remote electo-mechanical combination action.

I've attached photos of the Nashville organ, a TC-8 console I saw online, one of the equipment racks for that console, and the TC-8 sell sheet. It's interesting to see the options available.
    Last edited by AllenAnalog; 10-08-2020, 10:32 PM.
    Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Saville Series IV Opus 209; Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Gulbransen Rialto; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI.

I imagine the sound was very impressive.

Comment

Wow, that needs saving. Perhaps the ultimate find for our resident analog enthusiast SilkenPath?
      1971 Allen Organ TC-3S (#42904) w/sequential capture system.
      Speakers: x1 Model 100 Gyro, x1 Model 105 & x3 Model 108.

Comment

Originally posted by AllenAnalog View Post
        While I was in Grand Junction this week I dug out my Allen Organ analog sales book and scanned the page for the TC-8. Since the original post about the custom Nashville organ has been closed (not sure why) I thought I'd put this information into a new post for posterity sake.
        Older Classified topics are automatically closed periodically, and eventually deleted entirely, because the links become stale or broken as the item is sold or the ads expire. For this reason, with the exception of How Much Is It Worth?, channels in the Organ Marketplace are not optimal for discussing anything other than sales specific information.

If an item in the Marketplace is of interest beyond its immediate sales information, it's probably best to start a topic in the appropriate non-marketplace channel and link it to the Marketplace topic for reference.
        -Admin

Allen 965
        Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
        Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
        Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

• myorgan
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          IIRC, I posted it originally in the On the Internet section of the Forum. Not sure what happened to it after that–with the exception of a good discussion of Allen's larger analog organs.

Michael

• Admin
          Admin commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. That's were it is, but again, the lifespan of those posts in that channel is limited and volatile. If there are posts in that topic that have interested beyond the sale, they can be selected and moved to a new topic or merged into this one.

I'm kind of surprised a house isn't listed as an optional accessory. I wonder what the original organ cost? Is it $4000 for just an extra 10 speakers? That could mean the whole organ with speakers would probably run near $400,000 today.
        Allen 530A

Comment

• AllenAnalog
          AllenAnalog commented
          Editing a comment
          Too bad we don't know the suggested price for the TC-8. Of course that box is blank because the dealer would add on shipping, installation and warranty to the factory price.

I wonder if some of those 10 optional antiphonal speakers were Gyro cabinets and if they all had separate amplifiers inside? And you would have to add the antiphonal switching on the console - perhaps by division like they do today. So perhaps not an outrageous adder price.

But I agree, a custom instrument of this size would have been very expensive and I sure would like to know the history of it. Was this house its first home or was it in a church or institution first?

• Nutball
          Nutball commented
          Editing a comment
          Considering it seems to be 9 channels & 10 speakers according to stock design, I'd almost assume it was originally in the house, though it is close to Nashville where a big church could have upgraded. The organ in the California church had many more speakers right?

• AllenAnalog
          AllenAnalog commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, the Sacramento organ had many more speakers and I could see at least 14 S-100 amplifiers in the photos that were online. There may have been more that were not shown in the photos.
      Working...
      X