Conn 716 Pedal Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conn 716 Pedal Problems

I have a Conn 716 organ that developed some pedal issues recently.

The first pedal octave from C to C only plays low C, and nothing else. When the manuals are coupled to the pedals, the notes from the manual will correctly play, but the low C from the pedal will also play making it unusable.

Hopefully I am clear on what the issue is. I can press any pedal note in the first octave and low C sounds.

This just recently started. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

It sounds like a stuck switch or a broken wire inside the pedal assembly. The couplers use separate switch contacts which is why they still work properly.
    You will probably have to pull the pedal chassis to fix this. If yours is like my older Conn, you remove the pedals, then you have to remove the Leslie speaker and the Amplifier or power supply (depending on the model) to get to the screws which will allow you to remove the pedal chassis from the bottom of the organ. Hopefully, after that, a good visual inspection will locate the problem. Bonus, you can clean and oil the Leslie motors while they are out.
    Ed Kennedy
    Current Organ - Conn 645 Theater

Comment

I don't think yours is going to be quite like Ed's lovely 645 Theatre, which is a tube-based organ from a previous era (or two) of Conn. Yours has digital multiplex keying, much later technology. You could do worse than to search the forum for threads on the 716. A Google search sometimes gives better results than the forum's own search engine. Here's one, there will surely be others! https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...13433-conn-716

We do have a couple of experts on later Conns, and I hope that one or two may contribute to this thread.
      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
      Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
      Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Thanks for the correction, Andy. I thought his organ was a pre-digital multiplex model. It would be nice to have a Conn organ cheat sheet like the listing of Allen organs on this site.
        Ed Kennedy
        Current Organ - Conn 645 Theater

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far. The lower octave of the pedals have started working again. It does seem to run better when I play it every day.

The only issue left in the pedal is the 3rd C note is not working as it should. It will only play the last pedal note played. If I play a D pedal, hit the 3rd C pedal, a D will play. Other than that, I can actually play the organ for now.

I would appreciate it if anyone knows what may be causing this intermittent issue.

Comment

These are symptoms of the coil spring contacts at the rear of the pedal generator not making proper contact. Check that the coiled contacts on the C pedal are still attached to the phenolic lifter. The contacts should be given a quick spray of Caig Deoxit D5.
            Another possibility is that the tuning pot for the C pedal is disconnected or not working properly but that is rare.

td

Comment

Originally posted by tucsondave View Post
              These are symptoms of the coil spring contacts at the rear of the pedal generator not making proper contact. Check that the coiled contacts on the C pedal are still attached to the phenolic lifter. The contacts should be given a quick spray of Caig Deoxit D5.
              Another possibility is that the tuning pot for the C pedal is disconnected or not working properly but that is rare.

td
              The 716 (and all the other digitally-keyed models of that vintage with removable pedals) have leaf spring type contacts instead of the coil spring scheme, accessible from the front after removing the pedalboard and access panel. The problem is typically solved by cleaning them in the same manner as the Allen leaf keyboard contacts.

--- Tom
              Rodgers 660 with additional analog rack sets (practice), 36D/C in digital conversion, Yamaha CVP-107

Comment

Working...
              X