Moving Rodgers Insignia 557

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Rodgers Insignia 557

So a few months ago, when I assumed things would cool down a bit after school got out, I made a deal to purchase a mint condition Rodgers Insignia 557 for the school. The organ is located around 2 and a half hours away, which really isn't bad considering it's basically all freeway. My question is... will it work to use the 6x12 Uhaul cargo trailer and regular old piano moving dollies? I've taken ownership of five Allens over the years and they were built like a Sherman tank. I actually messed up the tie down procedure once and cracked the pedal board on the Allen Classic 20 up really badly. The industrial arts (woodshop) teacher just glued it back and it's worked perfectly ever since. Are there any hidden issues with this organ or Rodger's organs in general I should know about? Each time I make a deal for another organ for the school I feel great until I realize that I have to move the thing to the school. Ugh.

Yes, a 6 X 12 cargo trailer works well for transporting organs. Even better if it has the full ramp door, but barn door ones can work too, as they sit fairly low.

When you say "regular old piano moving dollies", what type are you thinking of ? The ones with two units where each one goes under an end of the console, or the 4 wheel platform type ? The ROK style work pretty nicely in most situations. Depending on the situation, the 4 wheel furniture platform style ones can work fine as well.

Which style is perfect for a particular organ varies. Most church type consoles have a full length and width bottom board in the console base. With those either style works good. Other organs do not have the complete bottom board, and can be very difficult to balance on a 4 wheel style. For those, the ROK style is pretty much required.

I'm not real familiar with how Rodgers consoles are constructed, so can't say what sort of bottom they typically have. Someone else here will know that though.
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Baldwin 626. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755.

Comment

I've found great success with the four wheel furniture moving dollies in most circumstances. I used them to move the organs around to various parts of the school. I've moved a few organs practically alone but usually get help lifting it up from the old owners. In this case the woman who previously owned the organ is rather infirmed and I'm not getting any younger. Truth be told, I've never yet in 20 years of doing this sort of thing, ever gotten the piano dolly straps right the first time (in fact many times I never get it right). I think after I get this one moved I'll be done collecting organs for a while. I'm getting too old for this.

Comment

I'm getting too old to be collecting organs too, but I sometimes can't resist the urge ! I know lots of people love the strap system on RoK dollies, but I think it is silly. I just use a pair of 2" wide, 15' long web ratchet straps on mine. Works fine for me, and no futsing around trying to thread the strap the correct way.

I've moved many organs on the 4 wheel furniture dollies over the years too. I really like having both types available though, so I'm ready for anything.
        Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Baldwin 626. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755.

Comment

Originally posted by Hiawatha View Post
          My question is... will it work to use the 6x12 Uhaul cargo trailer and regular old piano moving dollies?
          Originally posted by Larrytow
          Yes, a 6 X 12 cargo trailer works well for transporting organs. Even better if it has the full ramp door, but barn door ones can work too, as they sit fairly low.
          Really, Larry? None of the 6x12 enclosed UHaul trailers I've seen have had a ramp door. They usually have barn doors.

In my case, I've always used 5x8 enclosed UHaul trailer with the Allens I've purchased. The only exception is the ADC-8000 because it was too tall for the door. For the ADC-6000, I had to remove the music rack to fit it through the door of the 5x8 UHaul.

I've never used Roll-N-Kari piano dollies. I've always used the 4-wheel cargo dollies (one under each end). You will have to use extra care to keep the organ from tipping, but I'm sure you know that already.

The biggest mistake I've ever made is when I did not pad between the strap and the organ, and the strap chafed on one corner where it touched the organ. Now, I just use a folded paper towel, and that works when I don't have the organ cover installed.

Let us know how the move works out!

Michael
          Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
          • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
          • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
          • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Michael, It's my fault for not reading the OP correctly - I totally missed the U Haul part ! I'm not up to date on what sizes and styles they have around these days. I recently bought a 6 X 12 enclosed cargo trailer, so I guess I'm of the mindset that all "cargo" trailers are enclosed. Around here we call open trailers by their intended function : "flatbeds", "landscaper", "dump", "utility", and so on.

I've moved plenty of organs with the 4 wheel dollies under both ends, and that works very well, as you say. But to get the organ on them nicely, you need to lift the end of the console, and have someone else place the dolly. Then do the other end the same way, while the first end sometimes rolls about. Organ moving always works best with two people, but there are times one needs to do it alone. That's when the RoK style with the foot lifting mechanism really helps.
            Regards, Larry

Comment

Might want to check if there are speakers located on the back of the organ. If there are, it might limit placing the organ on its back for moving.

Comment

Well, I was to be assumed that it would be an enclosed trailer, I always cringe when I see someone's bedroom furniture flying off bit by bit across the interstate. I should check out the ramp thing as I don't know how I'd lift the organ up to the lip of the floor of the trailer if I used those piano dolly things.. uff. I hate moving stuff. I always call a professional for piano moving, but no one wants to move organs around here.

Comment

• myorgan
                  myorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Try UHaul. They often have local people who are more (or less) professional who can be hired for such moves.

Michael

• Larrytow
                  Larrytow commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Please add a general sort of location to your profile. You never know who might live close to you, and may be willing to assist you with certain jobs. If no one knows where you are, no one will bother to offer. We certainly do not expect an exact location of course, but what state, what portion of it, close to a larger city ( or not ) , and so on, would be fine.
              Working...
              X