This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen 600D voicing?

I have just purchased my first practice organ, an Allen 600 D computer model. From what I understand, it was the first digital model on the market. I feel so lucky to have gotten the deal I did on this really great instrument, and there are so many great sounds it makes, but I am still used to real pipes. The problem is the lower range, especially the pedal. From about middle C down, the principals start getting, 'Wendy Carlos' sounding. The same with the pedal, some really nice sounds, but towards the lower range and when I add some ensemble sounds it starts to sound like, well, a 1970's synthesizer.

I do realize that this IS a 1970's synthesizer, but I wonder if voicing this thing would help any. I really do LOVE this organ but it is so close to meeting my dreams of a practice organ, I have to ask, what would it take to make it my dream organ? Does anyone know anything about voicing these pre-modern Allen Computer Models?

Just thought I'd ask. I don't want to bother my Allen sales rep, he was so nice and gave me such a great deal, I don't want to trouble him. Sorta like the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld-- don't ask too many questions!

Re: Allen 600D voicing?

I was formerly the organist of a Parish which had a 1978 or so MDC-20 by Allen. If I understand correctly, these early computer organs were designed so that they would never have to be tuned; in other words, the programmed sounds were pretty much fixed. Before computers were used, tuning could be accomplished by a very complex electronic process. This having been said, I cannot imagine that there is any way to voice your instrument, by using Baroque temperamental tuning or the like. Unfortunately, the only company that was using "real-time voicing" back in the 1970s, which allowed the the organbuilder to reconfigure the voicing of each "pipe" was Copeman Hart of England, or so they claim. I completely understand about the Principals - they do sound rather computerish on the 1970s Allens. I found the Flutes on the MDC-20 to be very convincing with the chiff switch on. If you still want to find out about whether your organ can be revoiced, don't contact your sales rep; call an Allen Service Representative.

Comment

There is really no voicing. You can make some tonal adjustments on the MOS-1 DAC's. Since the 600 has 4 audio channels you could add equalizers and newer amps for improved balance. Also add reverb and if you really want to improve add Midi. Then many options are available. Even a rank or two of real pipe!

Comment

Would you guys know enough about the Allen MDS-51-S Model to address voicing? I have trumpets on each division that really are not loud or rich enough to be used as a strong solo stop. All but my Festival Trumpet get drowned out if I try to approach full organ. And the Festival Trumpet is rather harsh and lacking. My opinions of course, but do you know of any way that either the service rep or myself can adjust the volume levels on these trumpet stops on this organ? I read another discussion thread where it was disclosed that the Allens can be revoiced by the service rep. if I remember correctly. But I didn't know if I could adjust the volume levels myself on these stops. Any help is appreciated.

Comment

Working...
        X