No announcement yet.

Should I seriously consider this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try searching CL "free" section, and use the search term, "organ." Also, sometimes they will list a price, but have a small sentence stating free to church, school, or charitable organization.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Actually no, do not just search the "free" section. When I search CL, I use the search on the main page. That one covers all the categories. A Lot of organs land up listed in odd categories. I've seem many over the years under ones like : "household", "general", and "electronics". Doing a search that way usually returns many listings to wade though of course. But it really covers all the organs in a given area's CL. That way you are sure not to maybe miss out on any you might have an interest in. Also, the potentially Free idea may not always be mentioned when a price is stated, but still a good possibility, depending on many other factors.
      Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2 ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755. 1919 Wangerin 2/7 pipe organ.

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan
        Super Moderator
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point, Larry! Thank you for straightening me out.

In fact and practice, I actually search "all" for organs, and the list is generally short enough to make it through in just a few minutes.

Michael

Originally posted by Larrytow View Post
      Actually no, do not just search the "free" section. When I search CL, I use the search on the main page. That one covers all the categories. A Lot of organs land up listed in odd categories. I've seem many over the years under ones like : "household", "general", and "electronics".
      ... not to mention those advertised as electronic pianos with multiple keyboards, etc.
      -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
      Leslie 147 #F7453.
      Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

With any classified ads be sure to check daily and respond immediately. If the price is right offer to pay it, subject to inspection is necessary. If a seller has more than one potential buyer they will quickly lose interest in buyers with endless questions or who cannot inspect it promptly. Offer to show up the same day with cash in hand. Don't hesitate to communicate the good purpose the organ will be put to in its new home. Sellers who no longer need the organ may still have an emotional attachment to the instrument. Just my opinion but I've gotten many three manual freebies over the years.
        http://www.kinkennon.com

Comment

Originally posted by John Kinkennon View Post
          If a seller has more than one potential buyer they will quickly lose interest in buyers with endless questions or who cannot inspect it promptly. Offer to show up the same day with cash in hand.
          ... and be ready and able to move it out pronto. Oftentimes a cheapie or freebie is so because the owner is now desperate to get it out of a property that they are selling / end of lease, etc.
          -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
          Leslie 147 #F7453.
          Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

• John Kinkennon
            John Kinkennon
            mf Mezzo-Forte
            John Kinkennon commented
            Editing a comment
            It sure helps to own the truck and trailer, dollies, straps, hand trucks, and the like. Before I had my own trailer I made sure I knew where to rent one on short notice.

• gtc
            gtc
            ff Fortissimo
            gtc commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, that and some buddies available on short call to help load it.

Those are all really good points everyone ! I did not mention them I guess, because I use them all so routinely, and have for so long now, that I forget that not everyone is afflicted with OAS. Particularly with organs, it is indeed best to go check out one that interests you as soon as possible, and make a deal if it's one you want, but with the idea of actually picking it up on another day. That way you can see the situation of where it is, make a plan to remove it from there, and arrange transportation. I've found that most worthwhile organ acquisitions take at least two trips - one to inspect it, and one to pick it up.

Most people that are trying to re-home an organ realize that moving one is not just a throw it in the trunk of the car type of situation. Even if they know nothing about organs ( and that occurs fairly often ), they do realize it is a large heavy item, and not everyone is equipped to move one on the spur of the moment.

When it comes to searching CL, I agree that checking every day is real important. A lot of times the people who are in charge of an unwanted organ's disposition will give preference to a first responders message / inquiry. This is of course presuming that you will write a coherent, well thought out message expressing your interest. And put your phone number in your first message, with an invitation to call you to discuss the details ! I have had the best success in getting organ deals done by speaking with the seller on the phone to let them hear that I am truly interested. I know the world has shifted to texting these days, however, these sorts of discussions seem to go much better with "old fashioned" communication methods - people actually Talking to each other. Following up with regular e-mail is good too, so always try to get the contact persons e-mail address. And, send yours in the first message too.

If you are really on a serious hunt for an organ, you will want to make a CL account for yourself. They are free ( last I checked anyhow ), and having one allows you to set up searches where CL will send you an e-mail for every new listing that contains your search word(s). The only search term I use is "organ". No brand names, no particulars at all. I wade though a Lot of emails from CL everyday because of that, but I also have got the first heads-up on some fantastic organ deals over the years. Those searches will get you a Lot of redundant emails with organs you have already seen the listings for, and it gets old seeing the same ones all the time, but it is truly worth going though them all, because at some point you will probably find the right one for you. That may take days, or months, or even years if you are looking for a particular brand and model. I have searches set up for all of the CLs that cover the areas I am willing to travel to, to fetch an organ. I figure a one days drive ( one way ) is what my limit is - everyone will have different limits obviously.

I Really hate to mention this other place to look, because I am no fan of FB for many reasons. The thing is though, a lot of folks are using Marketplace to list items for sale instead of CL. If you are serious about finding an organ, it's obvious that you have to go where people are listing them, and that where a lot of them are these days. To me it is nowhere near as a nice a site to search on, but it is do-able. I will say that in the last year I have found a nice pipe organ on there for a colleague of mine, and he owns it now. But I have found no way to setup e-mail alerts like you can do with CL. So you need to check it regularly to avoid missing potentially good organs.

Finally ( well, I could tell more, but this is enough for now ), do not forget to look in the Classifieds here on the Organ Forum. A couple of years ago I found a nice one right here, and it is in a church now.
          Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2 ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755. 1919 Wangerin 2/7 pipe organ.

Comment

Speaking of interesting listings.

While I am not on Facebook (by choice) I do look at the Facebook Marketplace ads. Earlier this week I saw a photo of a 4-manual console offered for free that looked too good to be true. I had my pipe organ builder friend with a Facebook account contact the person making the post. He got a minimal answer just giving an address and saying, "It's now outside. Come and get it." I called the church listed at that address and got no response to the message I left.

So despite the lack of response, yesterday I took a chance and made a 1.5 hour drive to see... a beat up Hammond A-100 with no pedals and bench sitting on the lawn in front of a church building that had just sold. On the other hand, my passenger was the pipe organ builder so if nothing else we had a nice 3 hour conversation on the drive out and back.

Before we decided to make the drive we discussed a list of four reasons why this might not be what it was purported to be. Unfortunately we forgot "Door Number 5" - fraudulent listing practice. Kind of sad for a Christian church pastor to be so deceptive. First he claimed it was a friend who created the listing but later in conversation he knew all about the organ in the photo that was used in the ad and admitted it was just pulled off of the Internet.

I also check the Electronic Organ Garage Sale Facebook group, which unlike the Marketplace is not localized. Several other Facebook groups with organs for sale have gone members-only to view them but I can still see this one. Everything from beat-up stuff for free to $50,000 instruments can be found on this site:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1612693582359644/
          AllenAnalog
          ff Fortissimo
          Last edited by AllenAnalog; 01-15-2022, 11:39 AM.
          Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Steinway AR Duo-Art 7' grand piano, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico grand piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI.

Comment

• AllenAnalog
            AllenAnalog
            ff Fortissimo
            AllenAnalog commented
            Editing a comment
            Fortunately my OAS has its limits. Despite learning how to play the organ on a Hammond (M-3 at home, B-3 at teacher's house) I've not wanted to own another one. And if you saw the condition of the A-100, you would have run away fast too.

Despite the "too good to be true" red flag on that listing, my purchase of an ADC-5300 for $600 back in 2016 kept my hopes up that the fairy godmother of organ buyers was smiling at me yet again.

• Larrytow
            Larrytow
            ff Fortissimo
            Larrytow commented
            Editing a comment
            If the communication with the listing party was that hinky, there is no way I would have made the drive. I have adopted the mindset that I will not go to look at ANY organ ( or truck, or pretty much any item ) unless I have spoken with the person on the telephone first, and determined that they are legitimate, and actually can give me more information than what is in the ad. When it comes to going any distance to see one, I would never rely on arrangements made only via e-mail or texting.

• AllenAnalog
            AllenAnalog
            ff Fortissimo
            AllenAnalog commented
            Editing a comment
            Larry you express a very practical and common sense approach to this sort of thing. I was mentally prepared for a disappointing outcome. And I'll admit my questionable reasoning to make the trek was influenced by me scoring that Allen organ under circumstances which were almost as "hinky." Of course that one was only 20 minutes away from my home and the quest had a positive outcome.
        Working...
        X