Rodgers Insignia 557 External Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodgers Insignia 557 External Speakers

Now that I've got the pair of HR-100s and HR-200s hooked up to the Allen over at the university, I am wondering how similar the audio system is in my Rodgers Insignia 557 over at the high school and if I can use the HR-100s and HR-200s on the Rodgers organ. I've never opened a Rodgers organ (having owned maaaaaybe like 7 organs this is my first Rodgers) so I wouldn't even know where to begin. I assume that the Allen speakers will work just fine on the Rodgers, right?

Hiawatha,

Help me with something–why haven't you just purchased one organ and stayed with it? I read of you using several disparate models, and can't help but believe you'd relieve some of the angst by having a known enttity for each concert, rather than a new organ every time.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Simple logistics. Multiple buildings over multiple campuses and each year they add more and more and stretch me more thinly and more thinly.

Each time I move an organ it increases the likelihood there will be damage and decreases the useful life of the organ. Also, with all the ensembles I teach, there would be no way to move one organ to all of the venues in time for every dress rehearsal and performance as they are often back to back.

At my main building I have a Steinway Model D signed by Vladimir Horowitz. It is an extraordinary piano among extraordinary pianos, but I can't move IT each time I have a dress rehearsal or performance. That is why we also have three sets of choral risers and band shells.

The organs I get are primarily donated by people who know that we will use them well and not let the organ as an instrument in the public and secular sphere die out. It is rare, however, that I am able to get an organ with enough speaker power to fill a good sized auditorium of the kind we perform in.

For these reasons I have to stretch my speakers over multiple campuses. I have to purchase the speakers myself and I can barely afford what I have. I would never be able to purchase speakers for each location. I can, however, move the speakers in multiple car trips across town.

So, do you have any helpful advice?

Comment

Originally posted by Hiawatha View Post
        So, do you have any helpful advice?
        In that case, pray...real hard!😜

Seriously, though, I would recommend standardizing your equipment you move, and once the speakers are matched to a particular organ/auditorium/rehearsal space, keep it consistent for the space. For example, though I move the Symphony's ADC-6000 for their performances, I have never re-voiced it since I first used it in the auditorium. Yes, it is a bit unbalanced in my garage due to the space differences, but it makes it MUCH easier to setup for each concert. Even the speakers go on the same channel each concert, so there's no chance of voicing changes due to using a different speaker.

I would also recommend keeping a 1/2" 3-ring binder for each instrument. In it should be essential information such as the cage charts, voicing chart, speaker types/assignments/serial numbers, and purchase information/price. Not that it's ever an issue with an Allen, but I'd also place a tuning wand in each notebook–just in case.

Also included in the notebook should be the connection/disconnection information, both from power and from speakers, and even how the speaker cords are wrapped to prevent damage. If an organ is used for 2 different auditoriums, I'd include a section for each auditorium in the notebook.

Hope that gets you started. I know you're probably busier than a one-armed..., but it will be worth it in the long run, and cause less angst when performance time comes. It is great to hear how a music program is actually growing like yours. Thanks for sharing.

Michael
        Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
        • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
        • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

If you open up the back of the organ you MAY find some external speaker terminals. If so, first disconnect the internal speakers, as the amps can't drive both at the same time. The Allen HR's may sound really bright on that organ, since the internal speakers it has are very simple and not particularly good at the high end.

There could even be a switch somewhere, perhaps underneath the key desk, to turn the internal speakers off. But it's been a while since I saw one of these and I'm fuzzy on that.

Or the 557 may be one of the models on which there aren't any external speaker terminals, Rodgers having intended only to let you add more speakers by adding more amps via the standard "D-Sub" amplifier connectors that they used to interface with amps. If so, you will be on your own figuring out how to disconnect the internal speakers and wire the amp to some cables for the remote speakers. If you follow the wiring backwards from the speakers themselves through the crossover, you will see where the signal comes out of the amps, going to the speakers. Disconnect at that point and wire to your external speaker cables.
          John
          ----------
          *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

How do you open the back of that thing? Does it have a hidden latch like the AP-2?

Comment

Where does one get a tuning wand?

Comment

• myorgan
                myorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                It should have come with the organ and would be inside the sleeve provided with the cage chart.

Michael
            Working...
            X