Physis Plus 3 manual entry level models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physis Plus 3 manual entry level models

Viscount does seem to be converting all model lines to the Physis Plus technology including their "lowest" end as noted with the recent post by nullogik about the new Cantorum Duo Plus. So, it would seem that the Cantorum Trio should be going Physis Plus relatively soon.

I hadn't looked for a while, but I noticed that there are now two 3-manual Domus models:
    Domus 9 with 47 stops (not counting 4 orchestral voices)
    Domus S8 with 45 stops (not counting 3 orchestral voices)

Granted the specifications of the Domus line are less generous than the Opera line (and likely Maestro line) and the Cantorum Duo/Trio is less "appointed" than the Domus line, but the base line Physis Plus technology Viscount is providing to the entry level market seems like a boon to any one with even a smidgen of desire to tweak their VPO. Having downsized a bit ago, I only have room for one more very, very trim instrument.

Interesting, in deed!

The Cantorum Duo and particularly the Trio seem like obvious VPO candidates for me. For a decent price you get a three manual stack, 46 hardware stop controls and a smattering of pistons all in a single compact unit.. Additionally it has the added benefit of having built in voice and speakers which makes it doubly useful as a instrument that you can lift and place in another setting that might need a temporary organ (like a church hall for choir/orchestra rehearsals) without the fuss of having to lug a PC along with it. Once these hit the secondhand market I can see them being especially popular especially with those starting out in the VPO world given that it reduces the amount of components you need to cobble together.
    1971 Allen Organ TC-3S (#42904) w/sequential capture system.
    Speakers: x1 Model 100 Gyro, x1 Model 105 & x3 Model 108.

Comment

I think Viscount gets too little credit here in the US for their excellent sound and creative model line. Possibly because most of us have mostly known Viscount as the builder of the fairly poor-sounding and somewhat shabbily-appointed Baldwin organs of the 90s and early 2000s. I for one was completely taken with the sound and the looks of the small Viscount I had for a home organ back 10 years ago or so, even though it was at the low end of the product line. Today's Viscount models appear to be tremendous bargains and the features and hardware look very nice indeed.
      John
      ----------
      *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

From my experience, the biggest reason Viscount struggles in the US is because of their dealer and support network. I have looked into Viscount twice now and have worked with 2 different dealers. The first was regarding the Chorum Trio for a home practice organ and the second was just recently when I was looking for a new organ for our church. The dealer for the Trio did not return calls or emails and was never in the store they were based out of. When I did finally connect with him, almost everything he told me, from price to how long to get it, was wrong. I stopped in the store once to try to catch him, but he was not there so they had me talk to their other "organ expert" (their words, not mine). I knew more about their organs than he did and the experience reminded me of talking to the high school kid on their first day at the electronics department at Walmart. My most recent experience was better, but not great. Getting info still required multiple requests and follow-ups, but we were actually at the point of getting a written proposal from them when all of a sudden he just stopped responding to emails and phone calls. From some of the things he had told me, it could be due to health issues; however, I would have expected someone else to step in and take over, rather than just bailing on a potential customer who was at the point of wanting a quote. I still believe Viscount are good instruments, but without the right people to support them, it doesn't matter. With their quality and price, it makes me wonder if they could give the other builders a run for their money if they ever get it together.

Comment

Our church recently replaced their electronic organ with a Rodgers Imagine 351d. I suggested the pastor also talk to the local Viscount rep, but he said he wanted an American one. Also the previous one went out after Easter, and he was able to get the new Rodgers ordered and installed before Pentecost.

Comment

Originally posted by jubilatedeo View Post
            Our church recently replaced their electronic organ with a Rodgers Imagine 351d. I suggested the pastor also talk to the local Viscount rep, but he said he wanted an American one. Also the previous one went out after Easter, and he was able to get the new Rodgers ordered and installed before Pentecost.
            Did you tell your pastor that Rodgers is no longer an American company?

Comment

• jubilatedeo
              jubilatedeo commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought about telling him but decided not to. The organ was already installed and paid for.
              At the time though even I thought they were Japanese, but now I see they are Dutch.
              Surely some of the revenue stays in Oregon though?
              Last edited by jubilatedeo; 10-28-2023, 01:15 PM.

• myorgan
              myorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by jubilatedeo View Post
              Surely some of the revenue stays in Oregon though?
              I could be wrong, but I believe from what I've read recently, Rodgers organs are assembled in the US. I'm not sure if the parts are of American manufacture, or if the assembly takes place in Oregon. It was my understand Johannus (GOG) was going to preserve the manufacturing/assembly facilities in Oregon, but I could be wrong.

I'm sure someone with first-hand knowledge will weigh in soon. Conjecture isn't good enough for me (even though I just did it).

Michael
          Working...
          X