Clear All

• 64' and 128' rumblings...

Well, here's a strange set-up:</p>

YouTube - The 64ft and 128ft pedal organ stop experiment </p>

Cheerio,</p>

Kphone </p>

</p>

Re: 64' and 128' rumblings...

That place is only about 15 miles away from where I live! I couldn't really hear those stops properly - I'm only using laptop speakers. Could anyone else actually hear much?</P>

Comment

After a certain point it seems that low frequencies lose their ability to affect us musically. A very slow pulse ends up being nothing more than a periodic thump. [:|]</P>

The 32' range seems just about ideal for deep bass drama. I couldunderstand having a 64' stop, but I wouldn't want itgoing lower than A or maybe G. Anything belowthat starts to sound quite bizarre, even with other stops drawn.</P>

The fellow in the video was rather droll - I wonder why he posted that video, since hehadn't quite worked out all the details... [*-)]</P>

Comment

That was fun to watch and listen to. I would love to have a set up like that to play with and experiment. :)

Comment

I would think that in theory you can take any old electronic divider tone generator and "add on" to it to produce lower and lower octaves - just keep wiring additional divider packsto the lowest one. It would require some re-wiring, running new contacts, etc - if you really want to do it. (The thought did cross my mind at one point to produce a 32' just to say I did - but I never pursued it). Most divider TGs go as low as the 16' pitch (or octave zero).Going any lower than a 32', I really don't see the point beyond the novelty aspect - but that's just me. You would need a hell of a speaker setup to reproduce octaves that low. Since it is widely believed that the lowest pitch wecan even hear well is about 20hz, it would be more of a vibration than an audible sound I guess. To each his own...looks like a fun think totry inany case.</P>

The youtube video was in response to a "joke" video about a fictional 128' stop - there were several variants of the video; one had buildings falling down, another had giant organ pipes big enough for a person to fit into, etc. You know, organ humor. I guess this guy was "inspired" and thought "why not"?</P>

-jim</P>
          Jimmy Williams
          Hobbyist (organist/technician)
          Gulbransen Model D with Leslie 204

Comment

I could see going below 32' for pieces in the key of B especially (such as Franck'sPièce Héroïque and Liszt's Fantasy on B-A-C-H).</P>

After all the sturm und drangit seems a bit of a letdown to resolve to the key of B; the bass note is relatively high and even with a 32' stop there is not quite the sense of finality to the last chord - especially if there are lower notes preceeding the B.</P>

A 64' reed stop will do the trick of nailing downa low B,B-flat orA. The only problem is... itfeels out of character for Franck. [:D] Oh well, I'm a little bit conservative when it comes to registering 19th-century French works. Later works are fair game...</P>

Comment

Working...
            X