This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baldwin 640 information needed

My name is Harold and I had previously postedregarding a Baldwin 645c that a church had and may wanted to sell,but theydecided to keep it... I have since come across a Baldwin 640that has the option32' stop and wind tunedstop these two stops wereoptionalI guess. Wouldanyone happen to have a stop list for this organ... I also would be greatful for any comments you may have positive or negative regarding sound or techinical issues... it also comes with the EA5 amp and CGR6 reverb... andthree speakers... would this be a good organ or should I continue to look for another 645C... does the 640 have the same keying contacts as the 645.I thinkthe comment on the 645 was that it had computer keying if I'm correct... thank you once again for your reply.

Re: Baldwin 640 information needed

Hope that you may find this somewhat helpful, Howard:</P>

http://cgi.--------/Baldwin-640-Chur...d=p3286.c0.m14</P>

Comment

I'd also like to know a bit about this model. There is one that has popped up near me. </p>

It would be for my church that currently has a CONN 721 in really bad shape. Don't know if a new organ is in the budget right now, so I'm considering a transitional instrument. Would this fair any better than our current Conn or should I wait? What should I pay for an insturment such as this?
      </p>

Comment

Hi All</P>

Sorry to keep asking questions...but I have run into a problem... the owner of the 640 Baldwinhas dementia and he will not allow anyone to hook up the organ... except for his 84 year old friend Fred... Fred is a electronic engeneer and they did have a drawing of what wires to hook where... but the owner has misplaced it.... would it be possible forsomeone to make a simple hookup drawing.... the organ has EA5 AMP and the CGR6 reverb and three speaker cabinets (Baldwins) 2 small and one twice the size of one small one... the Baldwin has the optional stops 32' and wind tuned....Thank you so much .</P>

Comment

Harold,</P>

I finally got around to replying to your PM, so check your foruminbox and maybe what I've written there will help you.</P>

John</P>
          <P mce_keep="true"></P>
          John
          ----------
          *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Hi John</P>

Thank you so much for your response and detail explenation of the hook up... Now all Fred has to do is get me in to help him... I guess I will be his assistant...as far as his friend is concerned... yes I will order the owners/tech manuels from Mr. Spoon if the organ works 75% or more...I got kind of scared when I read the comments made to Mr. Darrell RE Baldwin 645 ... especially with saldering etc...I guess the 640 has the same issues....Anyway thank you once again...and I will post findings and pics.</P>

Comment

Hi John and ALL</P>

I went today to hook up the Baldwin 640 everything went smooth thanks to your excellent explanation John......</P>

Here is what I found...</P>

pedal board with bombard, sub bass I thing gedeck? stops pulled C# 1 does not sound .also in the pedal stop 8' G3 not sounding...Everything else seems to work as expected... the batteries must be dead presets don't move the stops. but if I pull all the drawknobs and hit cancel they all pop back in.....same for the pedal toe pistons not working except for tutti and SFZ does its job... one other puzzling thing... there were two audio cables (with the seven or so audio wire in them)coming from the back of the organ from two connection terminals of which both had M1 M2 M3 etc...I only hooked up the one cable to the EA5. Question... was the other cable meant for another amplifier? Hope this isn't all confusing. any enlightment you can give will be helpful... measuring doorways now to find the best way to bring it in... by the way can the organ be laid on it's sideto ge it into the house...Can the manuels be flipped up if so how is this accomplished thanks once again...</P>

Comment

Harold,</P>

The silent notes in the pedal section probably indicate a bad divider chipor twoin the system. Not too unusual, and not too expensive to fix. Just have to find a Baldwin tech who'll use the service manual to track down the faulty chip. Silent notes can also be caused by defective diodes in thegate boards, but that is less likely.</P>

The extra audio cable may have been used to connect another amp, or maybe they went directly to the reverb unit. As you may recall, the reverb unit is hooked up in parallel to the amp, normally with a jumper, but it would be just as good to have a separate cable going to it. You should remove the extra cable if you don't use it, to prevent hum pickup or possible shorting out of the signals or +5 volts.</P>

I'd think you could turn it on its side safely, but be sure to check inside and make sure everything is secured. As it is being up-ended, have the back open so you can see if any loose screws or other items go flying. You'll want to catch any such items before they get deposited on some circuit board and cause a problem! I don't know about folding up the manuals. It's easy on later model Baldwins, just remove the coupler rail above the Swell, then fold up each keyboard. But I don't know if the 640 has the same details.</P>

Your capture action problem could be just bad batteries, or it could be that the system is no good. The last one I saw with the so-called "60 Hertz" moving-knob action was like you describe -- nothing much worked except cancel. Never could get it to work, even with new batteries. There is a replacement board available, costs several hundred dollars. But it would be well worth the money if you are going to use the organ for a while.</P>

John</P>
                <P mce_keep="true"></P>
                John
                ----------
                *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

Comment

John,</P>

Thank you once again for your quick response... I will visit the Baldwin 640 again and replace the batteries... could you tell me how to use the capture system to set some stops to see if it is working or needs to be replaced... how many batteries are needed? what kind doI ask for and where do I buy them? Thank you.</P>

Comment

Harold,</P>

If I remember correctly, there are two battery packs, and each one consists of either four or five AA-size rechargeable nicads. Would be pretty expensive to make up just to test the thing.</P>

Go and have a look at it first. Take a volt meter if you have one or can borrow one. Before plugging the organ in, measure the voltage of each pack and see if it's around 5 volts or so. It probably won't be, maybe even just 1 volt or less if they are nearly discharged.</P>

Then plug the organ in and power it up. After 30 minutes, turn it off, unplug it,and measure the voltage of each battery pack to see if it has come up to at least 3 or 4 volts. That would indicate that the old batteries are still chargeable.</P>

Also, look at the battery packs and see if there is corrosion or a white flaky substance coming out of them. Either would indicate a bad battery.</P>

Whether or not the batteries will charge, you should be able to set some combinations, though you'll lose them when you unplug the organ. Just pull out some drawknobs, hold SET and press a general piston. Then hit CANCEL, and then hit the piston you stored the combination on, to see if it will come back.</P>

I wish I could tell you it's just a simple battery you can get at Wal Mart and snap it in the holder, but it isn't. It requires soldering the required number of batteries together (or better yet putting them into a battery holder), and then soldering to the capture boards.</P>

Let me know what you discover. I wouldn't let a faulty capture nix the purchase, but you may want to invest in the upgraded capture at some point. It will be a big improvement, both in reliability and in the fact that it has 8 memory levels.</P>

John</P>
                    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
                    John
                    ----------

Comment

HI John</P>

You will never guess what happened re Baldwin 640..... if you remember the family wanted it out pronto and I needed 2 weeks to make arrangements..... some guy called and said he would take it sight unseen.... ( Nov 25 /08 ) so I told them to let him have IT.....</P>

WELL today when we returned from grocery shopping, there was a message on the answering machine saying to call Nancy... the guy didn't show up and they will give me the organ, along with a 710 Leslie as well.... I haven't called them back yet.... what do you think????</P>

JUST A Explanation... when I went back to hook up the speakers to hear the organ it produced a sound... and I left it running for about 20 minutes when I pressed a preset nothing happened...the batteries must be dead... presets didn't move the stops.... presets didn't doanything theymay not be set and at that time I didn't knowhow to do a capture.... but if i pulled the drawknobs and hit cancel the stops returned.</P>

YOUR THOUGHTS AND OPPINION ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED...... SHOULD I WAITE FOR SOMETHING BETTER AND WILL I be spending good money to make this thing work. Decision, decision.</P>

Comment

Forgive me for butting in on your conversation with John. There's alot you can do over time to complete the needed repairs. Since they want to give it away you are only investing your time and cost of moving the instrument.</P>

Sounds like a blessing both for you and the man's family!</P>

Comment

OrgansR4Me</P>

Thank you for jumping in, if there's anyone else... feel free to do so, I welcome all comments. and any thing you think I should know about this kind of organ...... I am the amateur of amateurs and then some.</P>

Comment

Harold,</P>

I did send you another PM, so check your inbox on this forum. I agree with the above poster, it's free, go for it!</P>

John</P>
                            John
                            ----------

Comment

Speaking of Baldwins, jbird604, have you ever made a recording of your digital one? It would be interesting to hear it.</p>

Mind you I've been asking Walter Greenwood for a recording of his Allen all-custom TT4 organ for years, to no avail...so my expectations aren't too high lol.</p>

</p>

Comment

Working...
                              X