This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen Rondo organ - MIDI project?

I just got an Allen Rondo organ for $25. I am thinking about using it for a MIDI project.</P>

It only has 25 pedals, which is ok with me. The console is on the smaller size, which works better for me as well. You don't need anything huge for a MIDI project. Some people use only a table top.</P>

The organ has many stop tabs, which I think is good but no preset buttons.</P>

The stop list is like a church organ, but it does have some interesting stops, like music box, xylophone, etc., which look like a later addtion due to the newer wiring.</P>

It doesn't have any speakers and hasn't been used in a long time. I am kind of scared of plugging it in. There maybe a short in it and start a fire.</P>

Is this organ worth making in to a MIDI project?</P>

I do know that I have to take out all the stuff with tubes, but some of the switches and relay stuff could be useful in the future.</P>

Also, not only do I want a MIDI organ, I would like to add some real stuff to it. I have a set of chimes, a vox humana-with windchest and box, and some other pipes. I would like to add eventually a couple of ranks to the organ.</P>

How do I start?</P>

What kind of MIDI stuff should I get that I can hook the organ up to a computer and also add some ranks of pipes and real stuff?</P>

I don't want to get almost done with the project and then realize I got the wrong kind of MIDI stuff and can't hook up real pipes and stuff to it.</P>

Thank you organ lovers!</P>

Tony</P>

Re: Allen Rondo organ - MIDI project?

Take a look at www.doepfer.com for MIDI products. You can set up the keys for triggering notes and the tabs for preset changing.</p>

One issue with a MIDI organ is this; in a typical MIDI keyboard or sound module, there are programs that are selected by sending a program change. There are provisions for layering sounds to some extent. Getting an organ console to "act" like a real organ where each tab turns on a sound is difficult.</p>

On the Deopfer site they also have MIDI to relay boards that would allow you to interface to your hardware stuff like chimes etc. </p>

Great project!</p>

George
    </p>

Comment

Is there any other companies who have this type of product, especially in the USA?</P>

So I get an interface thing like this. Does it hook up between the organ key switches and a computer? Do I need anything else?</P>
      <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

It provides MIDI out that can be hooked up to any MIDI tone source.</p>

George
        </p>

Comment

Like hooked up to a computer with the MIDItizer (Wurlitzer) or someother organ software on it?</P>

Comment

I converted a three manual 32 pedal theater console originally built in the early 70's with Artisan MicroMIDI hardware. www.artisianorgans.com All the analog circuits had already been removed when I purchased the console.</P>

The process was not that difficult, the support from the company was great. I compared the prices of several companies and found the Artisan pieces to be the most cost effective, flexible. They are located on the west cost. I did have to learn a bit about computer configuring, but it was a fun challenge. Now, three years later, I am still very happy with the system. You can call the office and end up talking to the owner (Red Carlson.)</P>

Gary</P>
            Hauptwerk 5.0 VPO
            Hammond M tonewheel spinet

Comment

Working...
            X