This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johannus Prestige 300

Any opinions on the above, folks? I'm thinking not only tone and user-friendliness but reliability. I've had it with unreliable, gremlin-infested organs. 

While I'm here, does anybody have any exp with classical Wurlitzers? You read that right. When I first discovered my present church it had an actual, beautiful, playable, believable classical Wurli 2m electronic with round stop pulls. It had a perfectly good specification, sounded great, and looked like it could have been designed by Flentrop or Rieger.
    </P>

Alas, it fell apart. But I'm keen to know the model and its story. Obviously not the original Wurli company. </P>

Thanks, all. </P>

Re: Johannus Prestige 300

Did the Wurlitzer model in question have lighted drawknobs? If so, it was one of the fairly modern series of Wurli-branded organs marketed by the remnant of the Baldwin company, perhaps by the now-defunct "Church Organ Systems" company.</P>

Possibly made by Viscountor another Italian company. They did have some rather nice stops, but the build quality was not great and many of these have fallen into disrepair and faced early retirement. However, I know of at least one of these being used as a home practice organ, and this owner has no problems with it at all. Perhaps it gets better care and a more stable climate than most installed in churches.</P>

Not sure what to say about the Johannus Prestige 300. Haven't seen that model myself, but I do like the Johannus organs I've played and serviced. I believe this model was mentioned not too long ago on this forum. Maybe someone else has some experience with it.</P>

Good luck. Hope you find what you're looking for.</P>

John</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Thank you, jbird. (I have a friend who's Jbug.) The Wurli had solid wooden knobs. I'm not kidding when I say you could walk into our beautiful gothic revival bldg, see that instrument and say "a Noack or something! Where are the pipes?" Really miss it -- the organist who was then incumbent just commented on it today out of the blue at dinner. </P>

I think the Johannus was up for $17,000 and is now at 15,900 or "Best offer -- Make Offer" (ebay160327703186). Hmmm, Best offer -- can it really mean that? It's really too big for our place I'm afraid. Of course this one's 9 years old, and that's pretty ancient by windless organ standards, right? (Every year's lineup is the ultimate, the highest standard technology will ever produce, right?):-)</P>

The Johannus rep in my area has dropped from all contact since we had an extremely congenial phone call, he sent the introductory packet, and I followed up via email. Maybe he thought I was too picky or a spy -- I do ask questions, e.g. about some sweeping claims he made about other builders, and I like email because you've got a written record of all discussions.</P>

Next day -- Johannus rep is on line again with much info of interest. He says Johannus is biggest builder in the world now; Allen only makes about 1000 instruments a year and Rodgers about 900. Disagrees with Allen rep's statement that non-pipe organs are only built to last 20-30 years before getting int problems. Comments?</P>

I say non-pipe, but "electronic" would actually cover all such organs, right? Even though they're trying hard to retire the word, LOL.</P>

Comment

[quote user="jbird604"]Possibly made by Viscountor another Italian company. They did have some rather nice stops, but the build quality was not great and many of these have fallen into disrepair and faced early retirement. However, I know of at least one of these being used as a home practice organ, and this owner has no problems with it at all.[/quote]That could well be me! [:)]</P>

I've got a Wurli-Baldwin-Viscount-thingamajig sitting in my living room. It does quite well whenever I need to practice at home, with the only complaint being one intermittently-working bulb and some pedal contact issues.</P>

Comment

Working...
        X