X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen Organ of the Week

Anyone noticed this:</P>

Allen 3 manual 58 stop French Terraced style console which is supposed to be a digital hybrid.</P>

</P>

</P>

You don't see many Allen French Terraces around. What a fine looking instrument!</P>

Though if Ihad my choice it would be an English style console for me.</P>

More info and pictures here:</P>

http://www.allenorgan.com/organoftheweek/go/index.html#</P>
    1971 Allen Organ TC-3S (#42904) w/sequential capture system.
    Speakers: x1 Model 100 Gyro, x1 Model 105 & x3 Model 108.

Re: Allen Organ of the Week

Nullogik,</p>

This console looks a bit odd to me. They go to the extra mile with fancy drawstop heads, wooden surface keyboards, and then house it in a plain Jane slab console. The other thing, why didn't they move the drawers up to beside the ends of the Choir keyboard. Those drawers are the bane of many organists, in that it is so easy to whack your knees on them. They don't look elegant either.</p>

AV
    </p>

Comment

Totally agree with you about the drawers. The number of times I've whacked my knee caps on Allen drawers...[:|]</p>

Now that you mention it, the case does look rather plain. There are hardly any curves to the wood, just straight blocks of wood here and there.
      </p>
      1971 Allen Organ TC-3S (#42904) w/sequential capture system.
      Speakers: x1 Model 100 Gyro, x1 Model 105 & x3 Model 108.

Comment

Actually there are curves where there shouldn't be any... I'm thinking of those Skinner key cheeks.French romantic builderstypically used plain keycheeks; I like that since theykeep the console from being too busy. I don't mind the Skinner onesif the console is a bit fancier, but everything on this console seems extraordinarily plain.</P>

Just a few more quibbles...</P>

I'm not sure why they would call it a French console, as really there is nothing "French" about it! A real French-style console would have a flat pedalboard, hitch-downs instead of toe pistons, no thumb pistons,and normal colored (not reversed) keyboards. They might as well call it an "19th-century American" console, since terraces were typical of that period.</P>

Reverse-color keyboardsare best with a more baroque-styled instrument, and are rarely found in France. I'm not sure why they chose black naturals and brownsharps - that seems rather unfortunate.</P>

Ipersonally don'tlike to see drawknobs going across the nameboard, or at least I would hope to see only one row of them.</P>

The bottom half of the consoleis out of context withthe top half.</P>

I agree about those drawers - why do they need to be so very deep? The bottom panel (under the lowest row of drawknobs) already seems rather tall, couldn't they have put drawers there?</P>

I hope the music desk can be lowered.</P>

Comment

I'm generally fond of Allen consoles, but I have to agree this one is a failure. I don't think everyone at Allen suddenly lost their design sense though. I suspect the customer was given a list of available options and went overboard, with little or no guidance about what would be historically accurate and/or appropriate.
          </p>

</p>

Comment

I concur with the other posts--there is a lot about this console that seems to be out of context with itself. But it is probably all based on what the customer wanted.</P>

As to the plain-jane console, probably done to fit in with the interior of the church. </P>

Comment

Good points, all!</P>

I think there is a "design your own organ" feature on Allen's website. This looks like a product of that program that never saw a reality-check. While I'm sure someone liked it at the moment, it may not stand the test of time.</P>

SB, I agree about the music desk. I guess the customer wanted drawstop couplers, etc. (that's where Allen places them), but there are too many to fit in one row. They probably should have settled for rocker tabs.</P>

Mind you, I like Allen organs, but this is an interesting mix of styles andwoods (I counted no less than 8 varieties). I'm surprised they didn't have gold-plated toe studs to boot![H]</P>

Michael</P>
              Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
              • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
              • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
              • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

I do not like stop panels which place the fartherest stops almost out of comfortable reach. Why can the angle not be closer to 45 degrees? If you are going to angle it at all, then make it a useful angle. The current angle doesn't do anything to make manual registration easier.</P>

Rob</P>

Comment

I find this console to be more Austrian- than French-inspired, as the tracker organ console at Salzburg Cathedral uses a similar layout with fewer and beefier drawknobs. This console design I would consider for a Spanish- or Mexican-style digital organ, as many Spanish organs have manual divisions (Organo Grande, Organo Segundo, etc.) split at C4 on a C2-C6 compass, excepting the Rückpositiv-style Cadireta; upper and lower subdivisions have independent stops. The Allen Quantum can have its split point adjusted to fit the key of a particular composition, unlike the Spanish tracker organ with its hard-build split.</p>

From a pop/rock perspective, a terraced console similar to this example does permit the audience to better view the player "around the clock" than is possible on a Skinner- or Wurlitzer-style console. The only construction flaws I noticed? This console could have used a row of drawknobs at the very front of the case, inline with the lower piston rack (ostensibly for either the Positif or the Clavier des Pedales), in addition to better locations for the Ensemble Division and Console Controller (per Arie V).
                  </p>

Comment

Organ interfaced with 11 ranks of Reuter pipes SEPT2009. Diane Bish dedicated. </P>

Location-Trinity Episcopal Church, Manassas, Va. 20109 USA. My company, Jordan Kitts Music, has installed several French consoles during the past two years. i.e. St John Neumann, Gaithersburg, MD &amp; Epiphany Episcopal, Herndon, VA</P>

Installed byme"Organ Werks" aka Jerry McDermott. Visit my just lauched Facebook Page called "Organ Werks" to see several of my larger Allen Organ installations.</P>

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Colleg...1735467?ref=ts</P>

Comment

Jerry, welcome. When I lived in the DC area I bought some parts from you although we only met on the phone. Nice to have an Allen dealer representative here in an unofficial capacity.</p>

</p>

Comment

Working...
                      X