X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help with a Hohner Symphonic 31

Hello everyone

Newbie here. I need a bit of advice on this combo organ, which I picked up very cheaply this week. A power cable wasn't included.

I've attached a picture of the mains socket. I presumably need a cable with a four-pin connector on one end and a mains plug on the other, as there's another control to vary the voltage (I'm in Germany). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181110_143258.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	615490

That looks like a din outlet for the expression pedal. A power receptacle should be male with the end of the power lead that plugs into the organ female otherwise you have an electric shock risk.
    Hammond C3, M102, H112, XB3, XB5, X5, TTR-100
    Lowrey Heritage DSO-1, Yamaha E70
    Farfisa Compact Duo Mk2, Vox Continental 300, Gibson G201, Korg BX3 Mk1
    Leslie 122 x2, 145 x2, 910
    www.drawbardave.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Drawbar Dave View Post
      That looks like a din outlet for the expression pedal. A power receptacle should be male with the end of the power lead that plugs into the organ female otherwise you have an electric shock risk.
      Yes, I think you're right.

The seller told me it was the original power inlet and that a kettle lead socket had been added. However, looks like the kettle lead was an original part.

Comment

Dave is correct about that socket being for the expression pedal. My Symphonic 30N (virtually identical to your model) has the 1/4" output jack on the pedal itself - making the organ useless without it.

Has yours been modified to have a 1/4" output on the organ itself? Do you have any other pictures of the organ so we can see what connections there are? The 30N has two of those 3-pin DIN sockets (one for the expression pedal, one for the bass pedalboard) and a 2-prong male power socket (mine's been converted to a 3-prong IEC socket). I think I may know how to get sound out of the organ without having to make any changes to the organ.
        Farfisa Mini Compact V1, Fender Rhodes 73 Mk. 1, Hammond B2, Hammond L-102 "El Choppo", Hammond M-101, Hohner Cembalet CF, Hohner Cembalet N, Hohner Favor Combo, Hohner Pianet L, Hohner Pianet T, Hohner Symphonic 30N, Leslie 145, Leslie "430" (former 130 cab with horns and light show added), Nord Electro 3, and an entire village of guitars and harmonicas.

Comment

Have you guys tried the combo organ yahoo group? Their website combo organ heaven covers many models too. Without a pedal connected, the organ should play at full volume, at least my Farfisa does. In the Farfisa there is a flying lead with a male din on the end that plugs into a female din on the pedal. You could probably use a midi lead. Any Farfisa/Elka pedal with the photo resistor should work. It have paired an Elka one to someone’s Farfisa compact in the past.
          www.drawbardave.co.uk

Comment

The Hohner organs are unique (flawed? stupid?) in that the output jack is built into the expression pedal, not the organ itself. One of mine had been altered by a previous owner so that the expression pedal jack was replaced by a 1/4" output jack, which let the organ play in full volume. MisterB could make that same modification. I was also thinking that he could also rig up something that would serve the same purpose without altering the organ, i.e. male 3-pin DIN plug wired to 1/4" female jack, this could be plugged into the original expression pedal jack.
            Farfisa Mini Compact V1, Fender Rhodes 73 Mk. 1, Hammond B2, Hammond L-102 "El Choppo", Hammond M-101, Hohner Cembalet CF, Hohner Cembalet N, Hohner Favor Combo, Hohner Pianet L, Hohner Pianet T, Hohner Symphonic 30N, Leslie 145, Leslie "430" (former 130 cab with horns and light show added), Nord Electro 3, and an entire village of guitars and harmonicas.

Comment

Yes an adapter cable sounds like a good idea and you could use a standard volume pedal with input and output jacks then
              www.drawbardave.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by theseacowexists View Post
                The Hohner organs are unique (flawed? stupid?) in that the output jack is built into the expression pedal, not the organ itself. One of mine had been altered by a previous owner so that the expression pedal jack was replaced by a 1/4" output jack, which let the organ play in full volume. MisterB could make that same modification. I was also thinking that he could also rig up something that would serve the same purpose without altering the organ, i.e. male 3-pin DIN plug wired to 1/4" female jack, this could be plugged into the original expression pedal jack.
                Yes, you're right. I took it to the repair shop and the tech said the sound output was coming out of this socket. I asked him if he could make it into a more conventional audio output.

Comment

Working...
                X