Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha YC organ, 2 prong to 3 prong ( grounded) power cord?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha YC organ, 2 prong to 3 prong ( grounded) power cord?

Hello, has anyone converted the stock 2 prong power plug on a Yamaha YC combo organ, to a grounded 3 prong?

I am getting some hum, and also know old guitar amps can benefit from this

not sure how it would apply to a YC20/30/45 etc though

thx!

Typically adding a ground to an un-grounded device doesn't necessarily reduce hum. The purpose of the ground is safety, not hum reduction. Often times, the safety ground introduces hum! Hum could be a bad filter capacitor in the power supply. You could try reversing the AC plug. (unplug, turn it 180 degrees and plug it back in) You could try a temporary ground. A wire from the ground to a metal part on the organ. See if it makes any difference.

Remember, it was designed without a ground. There is a possibility of some leakage from the power transformer to the chassis. Simply adding a ground to the chassis without testing leakage could damage the transformer.

Geo

Comment

that is a good point!!

thanks for the reply

in fact the hum may be coming from somewhere else in the chain. I do know some amps have a ground lift/reverse switch too, presumably to deal with hum & other devices

Comment

Given the age of the organ I would be changing the power supply filter caps as a matter of course.
        Hammond C3, M102, XB3, XB5
        Lowrey Heritage DSO-1, H25-3, Yamaha E70
        Farfisa Compact Duo Mk2, Vox Continental 300, Korg BX3 Mk1, Leslie 122, 145
        www.drawbardave.co.uk

Comment

good idea! I have to open it up to clean some switches & replace a lamp, so will look at the caps then

Comment

Working...
          X