This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farfisa combo compact deluxe restore?

New user, long time electronics, tube repairs 45 years. I don't even play any piano , guitar since the 70's but old electronics follow me home. Picked up a combo compact deluxe for cheap, its had a rough life and I'm trying to decide on repairs or part it out. Looking for a good legible schematic if anyone has links. I'm going to list what I see bad or damaged so far. I know better than to plug it in as is. 8 keys plastic links are either missing or rigged up with fishing string. 4 switches have broken tabs and 2 are repaired with the heated bent wire trick. Thumbscrews and inserts are all gone, some insert wood damage. White wires (reverb?) are cut and hanging underneath. On the long board on top, left side, coax has a 20 ft coiled cord spliced to it? 2 wires brn & wht are just cut ( factory)? 2 wires wht & wht cut ( factory)? Pa15 card 2 wires brn wht cut. Had a 3amp fuse in it. I know about 100caps need to be changed, resistors seem ok, little high but i have seen worse. Transistors have not tested but all look original. What are those 2 giant things on FA10?

Can you even get those plastic links or has someone found something that works? Is this gonna be worth repairing? How do you tune these, with strobescope, simple tuner, freq counter?

There are a few posts on here about the Compacts from me and in more detail by David Anderson. These are worth reading. I have restored two Duos, a Mk 1 and a MK 2 which I still have and David has restored a MK1. My advice is always the same, replace all of the electrolytics first and then go from there. It is a very rewarding instrument when working properly. I did my MK2 about 5 years ago and it has worked perfectly ever since.

I will leave the rest of the advice to the experts
    Hammond BC/Leslie 147 (UK 50Hz)
    MK2 Farfisa Compact Duo/Binson Echorec 2
    Yamaha KX88
    MK1 Korg CX3/Neo Ventilator

Comment

Well started on it today. Pulled the power supply, recapped that and swapped out the selenium rectifiers. Going to change out the other large caps before i put it on a variac. Will leave all the 1uf original unless i have problems later. Been staring at the schematics and now have a much better idea of how it works. The keys plastic link things would be a perfect 3d printer item for someone to make.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20190527_185917-1632x1224.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	657530

Comment

Large plastic cable ties cut to length and drilled carefully make good substitutes for key actuators but I have seen and bought original ones on eBay. I recommend replacement of all the 1uf caps for tuning stability. The original Facon caps are notoriously flaky!
        Hammond BC/Leslie 147 (UK 50Hz)
        MK2 Farfisa Compact Duo/Binson Echorec 2
        Yamaha KX88
        MK1 Korg CX3/Neo Ventilator

Comment

Cable ties, i hadn't even though of that. I have some 1uf film caps, nichicon, which should be more stable than a electrolytic so i will probably go that route. I do have 1uf/50v electro I can use too. I fixed the switches with the broken tabs by using a heated wire inserted into the plastic. Thought of putting some kind of 9 pin connector on the tone boards for easy removal, don't think it's feasible due to the wiring layout and space constraints. I guess I'll have to unsolder the boards 1 at a time and bring to my workbench to do the cap swap. I've already broke a few small wires and a little bit more slack would be nice though.

Comment

OP no longer has this organ and has requested thread be closed.
            -Admin

Allen 965
            Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
            Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
            Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Working...
            X