Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tpappano
    replied
    I ordered through reverb.com, “British slate bronco” and “red bronco”. I don’t think these are the exact colors but they seem close enough for me 8) I went with the “bronco” texture because the more original-looking basket weave patterns weren’t available in both colors.

Leave a comment:

• Critter
    replied
    Hi Tom - Where did you find the tolex? I have a 66' Connie that's in great shape electronically but not so much cosmetically. I'd like to restore it if possible but haven't found any tolex that's close as of yet.

Leave a comment:

• tpappano
    replied
    Thanks Andy, I definitely will, this should be quite an adventure 8) My ultimate scheme is to re-home this in a recording studio which should help pay for the music lessons I started two weeks ago. I'm going to find out if it really never is "too late" (I'm only 13 years younger than my 1938 BC)!

Leave a comment:

• andyg
    replied
    And depending on the life that it had enjoyed (endured?) it was possible to find a Connie that had different shades of orange at either end! I think your choice looks good and only what in the model boat field they call the 'rivet counters' would complain about the texture of the Tolex not being original. Keep us posted with some pix as the restoration progresses.

Leave a comment:

• tpappano
    replied
    I have to agree with you there! I couldn't find any that either by claim or appearance was an exact match. I did find comments that the manufacturer wasn't all that consistent with their colors anyway. What I went with was "red bronco" and "British grey bronco" as I could not find the basket weave in both of those colors.
    I think it will still look pretty spiffy 8)
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• clem
    replied
    Were you able to find the correct orange? I've heard the right stuff is hard to come up with.

Leave a comment:

• tpappano
    replied
    Thanks Dave, I will try that tonight!

Leave a comment:

• Drawbar Dave
    replied
    Tom, when I’ve had to recover old gear, I would pull back on the tolex and if it was stuck fast, I’d run a knife between the tolex and wood. I use those cheap “snap off” type knives with a long retractable blade. The adhesive always seems to be a pva type so I sand off any residue with 60 grit paper. Any gouges in the wood get a smear of two part wood filler that sets in 10 minutes. For recovering I always use an Evo Stick contact adhesive. Have fun!

Leave a comment:

• tpappano
    started a topic Removing Tolex from Vox Super Continental

Removing Tolex from Vox Super Continental

I've acquired all the materials to restore the Vox, now the big question, is there a good/preferred/easy way to remove the old Tolex from the plywood case? I read that if you just rip it off the wood will probably splinter leaving voids that will show through the new covering. So, solvents? heat gun? incendiaries? explosives?
    Thanks All!
Working...
X