No announcement yet.

Farfisa Compact Duo Lower manual volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a Farfisa Compact it’s a pretty safe bet that a capacitor is the root of the problem
    Hammonds; BV, M101, T202, T402, R100
    Lowreys; Heritage DSA, Berkshire Deluxe TBO-1
    Farfisas; Compact Duo MK2, Professional 110R, Compact Deluxe
    Analog Korg CX3
    Leslies; 147, 145, HL822 ​

Comment

I think Drawbar Dave and I have both completely replaced all electrolytic caps in our own Farfisas with no regrets.

I did it because I didn't want to have to keep taking my Duo apart every time another one failed. The result of my work is that it's been quite reliable.

When you have oscillator circuits, the caps have to be able to charge and discharge quickly to provide the necessary current demand for the circuit. Old electrolytic capacitors often can't do this, so the oscillator won't run. In some oscillator circuits in guitar amps, it's even necessary, after decades, to replace film caps.

If you're playing a transistor combo organ in 2020, you have to accept the fact that they were not designed to be working 50 years after they left the factory.
      I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

Originally posted by David Anderson View Post
        I think Drawbar Dave and I have both completely replaced all electrolytic caps in our own Farfisas with no regrets.

I did it because I didn't want to have to keep taking my Duo apart every time another one failed. The result of my work is that it's been quite reliable.

When you have oscillator circuits, the caps have to be able to charge and discharge quickly to provide the necessary current demand for the circuit. Old electrolytic capacitors often can't do this, so the oscillator won't run. In some oscillator circuits in guitar amps, it's even necessary, after decades, to replace film caps.

If you're playing a transistor combo organ in 2020, you have to accept the fact that they were not designed to be working 50 years after they left the factory.
        No regrets here! It just seems to be a safe approach. Combo organs do not want to be pulled apart regularly either. It's a question of replacing all the capacitors at once, tuning it once and putting it back together. I offer mine for rent to recording studios and pro-artists and I want it to be as reliable as a Farfisa can be.

I have found it a satisfying and rewarding job when I have done a full replacement and returned it as close as possible to factory spec. The MK2 that I kept is in perfect tune and functionality six years later, even though it has been moved around quite a lot.
        Hammonds; BV, M101, T202, T402, R100
        Lowreys; Heritage DSA, Berkshire Deluxe TBO-1
        Farfisas; Compact Duo MK2, Professional 110R, Compact Deluxe
        Analog Korg CX3
        Leslies; 147, 145, HL822 ​

Comment

Working...
        X