Mystery component

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery component

Apologies if this is a silly question, but I was born in 1980, long after these components were made...

What are the two long green/black spiral patterned components? A continuity check on my multimeter gives me a beep in both directions, so I guess it’s not a diode or a resistor...

Click image for larger version

Name:	7B881029-7325-4247-90A9-71B0EF0F596E.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	730372

They are probably wire-wound resistors, the "wire" being the spiral wrap, and since the wrap is quite a wide band, the resistance value is likely very low. Try a digital ohm meter to read the value. They would be rated for quite high power--a watt up to several watts, perhaps even 10 watts.

Comment

These are often part of a transistor amplifier output stage, used to bias the emitters of the big output transistors. They may be as little as .2 ohms, so the continuity checker thinks it's a piece of wire.
      Can't play an note but love all things "organ" Responsible for 2/10 Wurli pipe organ, Allen 3160(wife's), Allen LL324, Allen GW319EX, ADC4600, many others. E-organ shop to fund free organ lessons for kids.

Comment

Thanks! Both very useful answers. I think that’s exactly what they are.

Comment

Working...
        X