Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Bought a TTR-100 in great condition..............now a few questions!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Bought a TTR-100 in great condition..............now a few questions!

Yes, EBay is a dangerous thing!</P>

If you read my earlier threads, I play in a Genesis tribute band (Los Endos) and have an XK3.</P>

I decided to get this TTR100 because it looked in great condition.</P>

I just don't have room for a Leslie, so I intend getting a Boss RT-20 (yes, I know, blasphemy!).</P>

Questions:</P>
    1. <LI>There are two jacks on the back panel -I assume these are line outs I can usefor an external amp?</LI>
      <LI>I don't believe any mods have been done but I'd like this to sound more like an L-series - which mods do you suggest?</LI>
      <LI>I suspect it hasn't been serviced for some time - if at all - where are the oil wells and what else needs attention?</LI>

Many thanks in advance!</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

R</P>

Alan</P>

Re: Just Bought a TTR-100 in great condition..............now a few questions!

Hi Alan</p>

1) these are non-standard, so heaven knows what they are. Inputs, ouputs, effects loops? You'll have to look inside and trace the wiring.</p>

2) Why an L?[6] Seriously, the T is the most moddable of all Hammonds. www.keyboardpartner.de will get you started, as will the dozens of threads on here.</p>

3) The oil wells are on the top of the TWG, easily accessible through holes in the top shelf. You should also oil the motor. Other general T servicing tips? A quick bit of searching will bring them all up.</p>

So get the screwdrivers and soldering iron at the ready!</p>

Andy
    </p>
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Thanks Andy</P>
      <P mce_keep="true"></P>

The L sound is more like the sound I want - Banks used an L122 I believe.</P>

I am an electronics engineers so I guess I'll get the tools out when I discover all the schematics!</P>
      <P mce_keep="true"></P>

R</P>

Alan</P>

Comment

[quote user="Losendoskeys"]

Thanks Andy</p><p mce_keep="true"> </p>

The L sound is more like the sound I want - Banks used an L122 I believe.</p>

I am an electronics engineers so I guess I'll get the tools out when I discover all the schematics!</p><p mce_keep="true"> </p>

R</p>

Alan</p>

[/quote]</p>

Tony Banks then went on to a T102/202 later.</p>

Cheers</p>

Dave </p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

G'day Alan!</P>

The TTR isone ofthe coolest looking hammonds. </P>

The fact that there are TWO sockets rather than just one suggests it may be an effects loop. One on its own would suggest a line in, to my way of thinking, and of course there may be a headphone socket somewhere as well, which is why I wouldn't assume a single socket was a line out.</P>

Tony Banks ALSO used a T-200, (or was it a T100?)so it depends on which era of Genesis you're after.</P>

While Andy is here I just wanted to mention anotherobservation he might find interesting: Andy likes the "crispy" sound of the T series. I've modifiedmy T500 a whole lot, and I've recently been observing that it still has an emphasis on the crisp highs. </P>

This may have been that some of my later mods have returnedthe crispnessthough, not least, the addition of a tweeter to my DIY leslie.</P>

Tonewheel1966 who had both a T200 and an L100 side by side saidafter the Carsten Meyer mods the two were identical, except for the better vibrato scanner on the T200. In this he was rather bitterly dissappointed because the L had cost more! Don't get him on to the subject...</P>

Carsten's mods are here: http://keyboardpartner.de/hammond/t-modifications.htm</P>

In fact his own guinea pig was his TTR-100 which you'll see in the pictures!</P>

If you have any issues or questions in doing anything inside the TTR, I have a lot of photos from my own experiences in the later model T500.</P>

Just fling me a question. </P>

There is also a thread here http://organforum.com/forums/thread/69005.aspxdiscussing T mods. And a LOT of other T users, but they aren't making much noise about the forum, unfortunately.</P>

Cheers!</P>

-Brendon</P>
          -1958 Hofner 550 archtop guitar -1959 C3 and PR40- -1964 Busillachio Harmonium- -1964 M101-
          -1967ish Leslie 122- -1975 T500 (modded..chopped, and reassembled!)-
          -DIY 760 FrankenLeslie/rat hideout-
          -1980 Electrokey Electric Piano- -Yamaha electric Harmonium (early 80's?)-
          -1990 Jansen GMF150 amp- -1992 Korg 01W/fd- -1992 G&L S-500 geetar.

Comment

Caramba!</P>

Tonewheel1966 snuck in while I wasn't looking! I hope he didn't hear what I said...</P>
            -1958 Hofner 550 archtop guitar -1959 C3 and PR40- -1964 Busillachio Harmonium- -1964 M101-

Comment

SERVICE MANUALS!</P>

I forgot!</P>

I think the best service manual free onlineis this one here:</P>
              <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Here are the schematics from Captain-foldback: http://www.captain-foldback.com/Hamm...ics/t100series</P>

and the service manual which includes the same info which applies to your model: </P>

http://www.captain-foldback.com/Hamm...ice_manual.zip</P>

Comment

[quote user="Brendon Wright"]

SERVICE MANUALS!</P>

I forgot!</P>

I think the best service manual free onlineis this one here:</P>
                <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Here are the schematics from Captain-foldback: http://www.captain-foldback.com/Hamm...ics/t100series</P>

and the service manual which includes the same info which applies to your model: </P>

http://www.captain-foldback.com/Hamm...ice_manual.zip</P>

[/quote]</P>
                <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Thanks for all that Brendon - unfortunately I'd just bought the bl**dy manuals from wdgreenhill...........:-(</P>

WRT sockets,two sockets on the rear provide output - maybe one per speaker? Strange.</P>

There is also a headphone socket under the keyboard.</P>

R</P>

Alan</P>

Comment

Losendos,</P>

How are you getting on with your TTR?</P>

Such a cool cabinet on that beast....</P>

Comment

Hi Brendon</P>

Yep - I love it - thanks for asking![Y]</P>

I managed to geta service guy to look at it (haven'thad the bill yet!)- he confirmed that the two outputs are "bodges" done later.</P>

They are just two separate line level outputs.</P>

He put some oil into the various points and it sounds quieter already [;)]</P>

I'll keep you posted................</P>

R
                    Alan</P>
                    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

Brilliant!</p>

I have a question for you and any other T series guardians....</p>

Because I've been diligently modifying things I was wondering about the volume level of the bass pedals in an unmodified T.</p>

I feel as if the pedals ought to be a bit louder, is this the normal experience with T's?</p>

Admittedly I've boosted both manuals for a bit of extra high end spit and more overdrive, this would make them louder in comparison with the pedals which haven't been changed.</p>

BUT, I've been comparing with a couple of later LSI models, a Hammond 8000 which is sitting out in my shed for parts, and a1983 hamond Composer146K(absolutely delicious toy!) and they both have HUGE pedal volume and tone. Way louder than the T. I wouldn't mind THAT on the T!</p>

any opinions on the pedal volume of your T?</p>

-Brendon</p>

Comment

I think your mods may have a lot to do with it, Brendon. On all of my T's, 7 has been the max I've used, often only 6 or 6 1/2. 8 is OTT on this one, especially with the leslie right next to me. That leslie does help, of course.</p>

I think the LSI spinets, especially those with two pedal bars, do have a bit more grunt, but the design has always been 2-channel amp, with pedals coming through the straight channel. Maybe that helps.
                        </p>
                        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                        Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Thanks Andy, </p>

I went back in and readjusted the trims and have a mighty big pedal sound now, which means I also don't need to have it on 8 all the time like I did. </p>

As you said, the leslie sure helps!</p>

I dropped the level of both manuals which I had earlier souped up. I still get the delicious "spit" from dusty bussbars when I put my finger on or off a key, so it's sounding most gratifyingly "dangerous."</p>

A sticker on the back of the new LSI (1983 Hammond 146K composer) struck me as humourous. It said not to "attach more than 5 leslie tone cabinets to this unit at once".</p>

... It's a very tidy and respectable spinet with carved flowers and a gold grill on the music stand. I can't imagine a deacon from the local presbytery going "Tim Taylor" on this one! It's a great unit, and a bundle of fun with "Alan Parsons" style arpeggiators and whatnot.... but five leslies????</p>

Hmm.</p>

-Brendon</p>

</p>

Comment

[quote user="Brendon Wright"]

Brilliant!</P>

I have a question for you and any other T series guardians....</P>

Because I've been diligently modifying things I was wondering about the volume level of the bass pedals in an unmodified T.</P>

I feel as if the pedals ought to be a bit louder, is this the normal experience with T's?</P>

Admittedly I've boosted both manuals for a bit of extra high end spit and more overdrive, this would make them louder in comparison with the pedals which haven't been changed.</P>

BUT, I've been comparing with a couple of later LSI models, a Hammond 8000 which is sitting out in my shed for parts, and a1983 hamond Composer146K(absolutely delicious toy!) and they both have HUGE pedal volume and tone. Way louder than the T. I wouldn't mind THAT on the T!</P>

any opinions on the pedal volume of your T?</P>

-Brendon</P>

[/quote] Brendon</P>
                            <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Yep - I can confirm that set to 8 the pedals aren't exactly booming.</P>

Stops me from getting too excited playing Watcher of the Skies I guess...............[:^)]</P>
                            <P mce_keep="true"></P>

R
                            Alan</P>

Comment

Heh heh!</p>

Cheers Alan.</p>

I've just found by adjusting the volume of both manuals I can get a bunch more bass.(I had added a trim in place of a resistor on the preamp at some stage earlier)</p>

I'm parting out a later japanese electronic Hammond which really DID have a big bass. It's a pity you just can't get the service manuals for those models... there is sometimes the odd place that might sell them, but it's hardly any good spending money on a manual for an organ I'm sending piece by piece into the rubbish bin each week!</p>

If I can figure out a way to use the bass from that for my chop..... Hmmmmmmm!</p>

I've been planning on making the drum machine a separate unit which can be left at home (I like the bass drum feature on the pedals to give the bass some extra punch on occasion...) and I was wondering where I could find a dummy plug so the lower manual would still work when the unit was removed.... behold, this Nihon electronic LSI job is full of the plugs!!</p>

I removed one, it'd be pity if it was a part of the bass circuit!!</p>

-Brendon</p>

</p>

Comment

Working...
                              X