This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Problem

OK Just got a nice a 100 from a home. The organ had not been played in 5 years. I oiled it and left it alone for a month. The organ has a press down start and a push run switch. I have never seen the press down before. When you press it down somthing spins in the back left rear of the organ and then slowly stops. After a few tries it wont do anything for about 15 min. when the run switch is pushed forward the tubes glow and I get some hum. Has anyone else had this problem. It something stuck maybe? Does the TWG have to be taken out? Please help.

Re: Starting Problem

First thing to understand is how it is supposed to work.</P>

There usually are two motors. One is for starting and the other is a syncronous running motor.</P>

The starting motor spins the generator to ABOVE syncronous speed and then the generator "coasts" down when start is releasedand the RUN syncronous motor "locks in".</P>

The syncronous motor has no torque unless VERY close to syncronous speed.</P>

If your starting motor has a problem, such as gearing, frozen or stickygenerator, etc., then you won't be able to start the unit. Remember, it has to get ABOVE the running speed by the starting motor or it cannot lock in.</P>

Often the gearing is a clutch that engages while the starting motor is energized and dis-engages when start is released.</P>

Comment

Yes. I understand as that i have Two other Hammond a-100 organs. Im familiar with the start run process.

Comment

From the way you described your problem I understood it the same way Fredy2 did and would have given you the same answer. Can you rewrite it to make it clearer to us? Something just doesn't seem right if you already know how to start Hammonds with start/run switches. My thought is that someone replaced the regular switches with the the wrong type switches and did not wire it correctly. It would help if you posted a picture of both sides of the switches so we have a clearer understanding.
        Hammonds: A; AB; B3; D; E; 6-M3's; 2-A100; T582C.
        Leslies: 3-31H; 21H, 22H, 4-44W; 46W; 25; 47; 45; 125; 50C; 51; 55C; 2-120; 122; 122A; 145; 147; 245; 770; 825; 2-102; 2-103; 300.
        Wicks 2/5 pipe organ; Yamaha upright; Kurzweil Micro Piano & Micro B with M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha DGX520; Wurlitzer 4100 (it came with a Leslie!). Peavey KB100 keyboard amp. Peavey Bass Guitar. Yes, I have A. D. (acquisition disorder) and don't want it cured.

Comment

I recently picked-up a CV and the start &amp; run switches are the same as you have described. I could check out the wiring if you needed.

Comment

Two things here. First, it sounds like someone replaced the start switch and put it in backwards so now instead of lifting the switch or pushing it forward you now push down or pull back.</P>

It sound like the TWG is seriously gummed up. You can take the springs off the rear of it (the rear cabinet end) tilt it up and lube each bushing by hand with a pinpoint oiler to get it going. Lube the start motor bushings, shaft, and the clutch on the TWG (mating gears). Put hammond oil directly on the run motor and scanner oil wick threads, a drop or two each. Spin the TWG by hand by turning the flywheel between the run motor and the TWG. It spins top of wheel towards the front of the cabinet if I remember.</P>

There are many threads here on the forum about bring a gummy TWG back to smooth running form. Une the search function. I must have a dozen posts in there.</P>

Best,</P>

H101</P>

Comment

If the "press down" is a button, they were probably replaced with CV or M switches. I think these were the only models to have the "start button." That seems more likely anyway because it wouldn't make sense to have to "push" the run switch as described while pressing the start switch in the opposite direction.
              1955 M3 (in good hands!)
              1962 A100
              1942 BC
              too many other keyboards...

Comment

The push down button is the start switch. The toggle swith is the run switch. Run it like normal and it should start.............My CV has the same thing and works fine..........................

Comment

Working...
                X