This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going rate for a Leslie 145?

What is the going rate for a working 145 in good condition? Are they as sonically good as 122/147 Leslie's?

Re: Going rate for a Leslie 145?

hi WMDF, from what I've seen you'd be lucky to find one for less than $500; and even then you might be looking at a specimen in poor cosmetic condition.</P>

For example here's one that went for $588 US last year on Ebay:</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

This one was not as outrageous as you might think - notice that all the back panels are there. This probably indicates it was a home specimen that just got chucked out in the garage and forgotten... all the internals are probably still fine. Then when you consider the amp alone is worth something like $375-$400, you can see this really isn't such a bad deal.</P>

Beyond that, I've seen mint, "living room condition" specimens go for up to around $1200 in the eastern and southern US. But I'd say if you saved up $700-$800 and looked carefully, within 6 months you'd stand a very good chance of owning a nice 145.</P>

For some reason 145s seem to go for as much as any other Leslie besides the 122. Maybe 147s go for a bit more, but I never seem to come across very many of them... I think it has to do with the fact that the 145 was such a convenient size for home installations (especially with spinets where you wouldn't miss the extra bass b/c of the crappy spinet pedals), whereas the taller 147 was more typical of institutional installations such as churches. So on the whole, far more 145s must've been sold.</P>

My advice to anyone in the market for a 145 would be: look for a package deal, i.e., organ plus Leslie. Then you can always turn around and sell the organ alone and keep the Leslie. I got my 145 this way: paired with a CV for $500. Then I sold the CV (with a JR20) for $450. Obviously I could've never hoped to find a 145 for $50 unless I lucked upon one of those "garage sale" typefinds, so this is really the way to go if you have a truck and manpower available.</P>

Finally to answer your other question, yes absolutely they're up there sonically with the 122/147s. Again, the taller cabinets (they're 8" taller than the 145) will give slightly better bass response. But in all other ways the 145 and 147 are absolutely identical. 122s are a little different in that they're set up for a balanced input, theyhandle switching differently, and some say they have a slightly mellower sound. But for a 122 you're looking at $1K, minimum, probably more like $1200 - $1800!</P>

Anyway hope this helps... good luck finding a 145 (and don't forget its younger cousin the 245!)</P>

TD</P>
    Nobody loves me but my mother,
    And she could be jivin' too...

--BB King

Comment

Well, this one LOOKS pretty nice but there is a 1/4" input jack that has been added to the back so that makes me kind of nervous because somebody has obviously been into it.

Comment

Suspect! Start researching leslies...that way you'll be able to make an educated decision on a purchase which you'll likely be happy with. </p>

captain-foldback.com is a good starting place.
        </p>

Comment

TD's advice is very good. I wouldn't worry about a 1/4 inch jack. In 40 years probably many people have been into it unless it's in living room condition! If you're going to own Hammonds and Leslies then you need to learn to work on them.
          Hammonds: A; AB; B3; D; E; 6-M3's; 2-A100; T582C.
          Leslies: 3-31H; 21H, 22H, 4-44W; 46W; 25; 47; 45; 125; 50C; 51; 55C; 2-120; 122; 122A; 145; 147; 245; 770; 825; 2-102; 2-103; 300.
          Wicks 2/5 pipe organ; Yamaha upright; Kurzweil Micro Piano & Micro B with M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha DGX520; Wurlitzer 4100 (it came with a Leslie!). Peavey KB100 keyboard amp. Peavey Bass Guitar. Yes, I have A. D. (acquisition disorder) and don't want it cured.

Comment

saw one ("mint") go for $1000 with an m100 spinet and the halfmoon switches and everything... (i really wish i had $1000 at that time... i would have loved to have a leslie...)

Comment

[quote user="TheAdmiral"]I wouldn't worry about a 1/4 inch jack. [/quote]</P>

Seconded here, unless you have your heart set on a mint Leslie. My 145 had a 1/4" jack on it - all they had done was wire the jack direct to the woofer, so they couldrun a line out froma guitar amp into the bottom rotor. A cinch to remove, and no harm no foul except for the small hole in the back panel. But of course you wouldn't want to go paying "mint" price for one like this. It may well have been gigged,in which casethere are other problems that cancome up. You'd have to check it out personally to be able to tell.</P>

So the mostimportant thing is to follow JB3's advice and study up on Leslies. That way you'll be able to tell if the 145 is still mostly original, or is heavily modded, or worse a Frankenleslie.</P>

TD</P>

--BB King

Comment

So I'm looking through toaster dude's photos and I suddenly see the Leslie 145 I bought two years ago. As he speculated, the internals were fine. Motors cleaned, a tube replaced and it fired right up. She looked really sad in those pictures so I thought I should let you know what can be done cosmetically.</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

That 147 on the right is a different leslie I was working on when this was taken.
                </p>

Comment

Very cool, I ended up buying one off EBAY for $460 within driving distancebut it was ok because I got there and the guy handed me the "hook up for it" which ended up being a Leslie Combo preamp pedal which I have on EBAY right now and it's at $100 and climbing so it looks like I got a decent deal on the 145. I do plan to do a full rebuild on it including a cherry refinish to match my A-102. I would love a 122 or 147 but this ones going in my basement 12'x20' "stay the hell way from me while I drink, smoke cigars and play the organroom" so it should be plenty for in there.

Comment

WMDF: congrats! I saw that deal on Ebay and was thinking somebody got a steal. Must be the bad economy... or sometimes you just get lucky.</P>

CW: nice job! I figured somebody would either buy that Leslie for its guts, or just paint the cab black and gig with it. But you've made it look nice again... how the heck did you get that tar off the top &amp; back? Then, did you sand it down and refinish, or did you use a product like Howard's?</P>

cheers,</P>

td</P>

--BB King

Comment

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I got one for $400.00 and spent another $200 getting it in working order off E-Bay. So really it is worth more but sometimes you don’t get your investment back.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>What’s worse is people make all kinds of mods to these things so if that is the case I part them out.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>I had pictures of it on another thread.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

Comment

The cab was definitely in rough shape. I don't think howard's would have made a dent in that. First I had to glue spots where the veneer had separated from the back, then I tackled the spill. It was black oil-based paint that I tried sanding at first and later had to use a sharp flat-head screwdriver to scrape the paint off. It was thick enough that the surface underneath was in decent shape. I didn't bother with the back. I then used a maple colored stain that I had on hand to try and restore some of the color and then finished with wax. It has an antique look that makes it look much older than it is ('68). I had a lot of fun doing it so it was great to run across those ebay picts.</p>

The one thing I learned was to make sure to tell the seller to pull the tubes and pack them carefully. During shipping one 6050 and the OC3 broke.</p>

Comment

Working...
                        X