Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drawbar identification and Leslie pairing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drawbar identification and Leslie pairing?

This is probably a stupid question but the search function didn't help and neither did Google. Can you tell just by looking at a drawbar if it is ratchet or smooth? The only 2 hammonds I have laid hands on are my C-2 and my A-102. When I move the drawbars, I feel very distinctive clicks in and out and they sound like a ratchet whic leads me to think they are ratchet drawbars?? maybe I am confused as to what they are? never having had the chance to touch another Hammond, I just don't know? My other question is would a Leslie 145 be a good one to use with my A-102? I know the 251/351's were kind of designed for these but I never see them around by themselves for sale and I have a chance at a 145 locally, any opinions?

Re: Drawbar identification and Leslie pairing?

Another thought re: the drawbars.... remember Geo noted some late B2s and C2s had the smooth drawbars. That might account for whyyour C2 and A102feel the same to you, and again - you might be looking for a smoother sound/feel than you're really going to get. I just now compared a '55 M3, a '61 A100 and a '64 A101: you can definitely hear a click at each increment, especially if you pull the drawbar out slowly. (if you pull them quickly it sounds like a quiet whirr.)</P>

A Leslie 145 does great with an A100. And you're right, 251s are especially hard to find although they're ideal for A100s. The key is there's a 2nd channel in the 251 that goes to the 6x9s, which works great for the reverb signal from the A100.If you can't find a 251 though, it's always possible to wire a 1/4" out from the A100's reverb amp, and run it to a separate speaker cab that sits on (or next to) the Leslie. I've done this a couple different ways now and would be happy to advise you. Or, the simplest hookup is just to leave the reverb on the console all the time; I personally don't like this b/c it sounds artificial to me, but many people are happy with this setup. If the price is right on the 145 I'd say grab it now and figure out the hookup when you have it safely home!</P>

td</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    Nobody loves me but my mother,
    And she could be jivin' too...

--BB King

Comment

Check out the pictures I posted of a Hammond L-101 and see. The drawbars in the picture do have the clicks.</p>

http://organforum.com/photos/myorgans_gallery/category1346/picture85945.aspx</p>

Michael</p>
      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

There is no way that an L-100 will have clicks! Same with the A-100. Ratchet bars w/ clicks ceased production in the mid-50's.
        </p>

Smooth drawbars do encounter mild clicking but its nowhere near the same as a ratchet drawbar.
        </p>

Comment

[quote user="johnny b3"]

There is no way that an L-100 will have clicks! Same with the A-100. Ratchet bars w/ clicks ceased production in the mid-50's.
          </p>

Smooth drawbars do encounter mild clicking but its nowhere near the same as a ratchet drawbar.
          </p>

[/quote]</p>

Ah,
          then, that 'splains it! Ours is an L-101, not a L-100. They
          probably added ratcheted drawbars on that model![;)] Either
          that, or my wife's right--I'm way too sensitive.</p>

Michael</p>
          Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
          • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
          • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
          • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

The last two digits of the number, in this case 01, only denote cosmetic differences between the other L100 *series* organs, just as with the A100 and M100 series. There are no functional differences (i.e. drawbar type). </p>

It must be the latter then[;)]
            </p>
            1955 M3 (in good hands!)
            1962 A100
            1942 BC
            too many other keyboards...

Comment

Also, as far as I know no spinets EVER had ratchet drawbars because they were designed to work with presets so the gaps in sound wouldn't be as noticeable. Original spinets (M series) didn't have presets (and the M100 and L100 series don't have many) so ratchet drawbars were impossible. I believe this is when smooth drawbars were first designed for Hammonds then added to other models.
              1955 M3 (in good hands!)
              1962 A100
              1942 BC
              too many other keyboards...

Comment

Working...
              X