This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove Power Amp From A100?

I want to run my A100 from a 1/4" line out taken off the GG terminals on the preamp in to an external amp and then to my leslie which has a 1/4" jack to the crossover then to the speakers. I do not want the internal speakers to be active. I have disconnected the speakers at the speaker output terminals on the power amp. I'm told this is not good for the power amp. Can I remove the power amp completely? If so, how do I get AC power to the organ? since the AC plug is on the power amp? Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Remove Power Amp From A100?

Hey Rod,</P>

Unless you want the original amp and speakers out of there for a chop (i.e. to try to make it look more like a B3), the simplest solution is just to pull the tubes out of the power amp &amp; reverb amp. This way the AO-39 continues to supply power to the AO-28 - and the rest of the organ! The real downside is that you lose the reverb signal when you do this, because it's actually the speaker-level signal out of the AO-39 that drives the reverb tank itself.</P>

With that said: you were told right, you DON'T want to continue running the power amp withno speaker load! I believe the main internal speakers are two 12-inch, 8 ohm models wired in parallel for an effective load of 4 ohms. Then the reverb amp (AO-35 or AO-44) has its own 12-inch, 8 ohm speaker. So you need a big fat resistor across the output of both of those if you keep everything running with no speakers: something like 8 ohm, 20W for the reverb ampand 4 ohm, 20W for the main amp.</P>

hope this helps-</P>

td</P>
    Nobody loves me but my mother,
    And she could be jivin' too...

--BB King

Comment

Both amps require 8 ohm load resistors. There is a pair of 16s on the mains. 15-20 watts should do it or two 10s in parallel.

Comment

Sorry to be contrary H101, but the schematic shows 2 x 8 ohms in parallelon the AO-39. I seem to remember this being borne out once when I put a meter on them.
        Nobody loves me but my mother,
        And she could be jivin' too...

--BB King

Comment

Just pull the amp tubes. Done.</p>

Geoelectro
          </p>

Comment

So, just pulling the tubes looks like an easy route. There are no downsides to doing that?

Comment

Nope, as long as you pull the 5U4, no high voltage is being sent through it.</p>

Geoelectro
              </p>

Comment

[quote user="toasterDude"]Sorry to be contrary H101[/quote]</P>

Best take me out back and flogg me! I must have had Leslie amps on the brain.</P>

Comment

[quote user="rodreb"]So, just pulling the tubes looks like an easy route. There are no downsides to doing that?[/quote]</p>

</p>

It's fine, I've been running mine like that for a couple of years now. Just carefully box up all the tubes, someday you might want them back in.
                  </p>
                  - Don
                  '60 A100 - '62 Leslie 45
                  '47 CV - MS Pro3T
                  Nord Electro 2 73
                  MAudio Prokeys 88SX

Comment

I'm not quite sure what happened but, my replies thanking everyone for their answers did not post so, I'll try again.

Comment

Working...
                    X