This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed for technique on recording

Hello all. Now that I have my hammond/leslie etc.. I want to put it into a song.</p>

I'd like to add some neato hammond where the "bringing in the sheaves" comes in.</p>

</p>

download this... www.getezmoney.com/walt.mp3 </p>

but yeah I'm new to organ, I play piano and a bit of guitar. I want a classic hammond and maybe churchy choir like organ thing. does anyone want to record some ideas to share with me? I'm at a loss here other then playing chords which is nice but still not sure the "proper" way to do it.</p>

:)</p>

</p>

anyone?
    </p>

Re: help needed for technique on recording

Sorry, the link doesn't work. Do you have a simple web address where it may be found?</P>

Michael</P>
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

sorry about that, yeah you can stream the song on my project page here, prob more easy anyhow: </p>

</p>

http://ultimateband.com/files/project_details.asp?project_id=293
      </p>

Comment

Thanks for the link Eddie!</P>

One of the handy techniques for "gospel" style is to ride the swellpedal for expression.... increasing volume as the vocal becomes more intense in the phrases, and decreasing as you do your own voice. You can add the same with the leslie speed, or you can just leave it on fast.</P>

-Brendoon</P>
        -1958 Hofner 550 archtop guitar -1959 C3 and PR40- -1964 Busillachio Harmonium- -1964 M101-
        -1967ish Leslie 122- -1975 T500 (modded..chopped, and reassembled!)-
        -DIY 760 FrankenLeslie/rat hideout-
        -1980 Electrokey Electric Piano- -Yamaha electric Harmonium (early 80's?)-
        -1990 Jansen GMF150 amp- -1992 Korg 01W/fd- -1992 G&L S-500 geetar.

Comment

Thanks Brendon!</p>

</p>

If anyone wants to record on top of that sample to give me a sound byte.. you can download the mp3 at http://www.getezmoney.com/walt.mp3 I would really love to heard some examples that I could try to emulate.
          </p>

Comment

Eddie,</P>

I'd love to put an example track down for you, but my leslie's in limbo at the moment.</P>

Anyone else?</P>
            -1958 Hofner 550 archtop guitar -1959 C3 and PR40- -1964 Busillachio Harmonium- -1964 M101-

Comment

Hello! Does anyone know of any other forum's where I could try to get some help on this matter? This site seems to be the biggest one.

Comment

G'day Elance!</P>

Organ-ized is meant to be for discussing technique:</P>

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/organ-ized</P>

There's not been much activity there of late, but they might rise to a challenge. I can recommend a couple of others.</P>

Let us know how you get on!</P>

Cheers</P>

-Brendon</P>

Comment

Thanks Brendon! No responses from that group but that's ok. I guess I'll just do it how it feels to me. Seems like I'm missing something but I suppose that's alright too.
                  </p>

</p>

Eddie
                  </p>

Comment

Hey Eddie!</p>

How did you get on with the recording?</p>

(I take it elance and EddieLance are one and the same but you lost your password?) </p>

My leslie is nearly all fixed, but I'm still working on getting it to switch to tremelo. Once I have that I can do a bit of a flutter 'round the keys for you if you're still having trouble?</p>

Cheers!</p>

-Brendon</p>

Comment

Over on Organ-ised we finally made some headway with the tune.</p>

I've just posted up a version for Eddie, and about 3 other lads are going to have a go too.</p>

Here's what I came up with one long lunchtime today:</p>

<font size="2" face="Arial">&lt;</font><font size="2" face="Arial">http://cid-0d7741cc63af1adc.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Brother%20Walt%20Organ1.mp3</font><font size="2" face="Arial">&gt;</font></p><div><font size="2" face="Arial"></font></div><div><font size="2" face="Arial">and here's what I played it on. The monstosity at the right, as you all probably under the pile of speakers and soldering irons etc is my dual foam-rotor frankenleslie.</font></div><div><font face="Arial"><font size="2">Incidentally the guys on myth busters proved that you can indeed get a very good shine on a polished piece of zoodoo. Yes, that is a T-500 and it sings beautifully! (Scott Hawthorne has said modding a T is like polishing a t**d! He has several B3s languishing in his workshop.)</font></font></div><div><font face="Arial"><font size="2">
                      <font class="Apple-style-span" face="'Times New Roman'" size="2"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 10px; white-space: pre;"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(102, 102, 102); font-family: Arial; "></span></span></font></font></font></div><div><span style="WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: separate; FONT: 16px 'Times New Roman'; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: pre; COLOR: rgb(102,102,102); FONT-SIZE: 10px" class="Apple-style-span"><font size="2" face="Arial"></font></span></span></div><div><span style="WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: separate; FONT: 16px 'Times New Roman'; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: pre; COLOR: rgb(102,102,102); FONT-SIZE: 10px" class="Apple-style-span"><font color="#000000" size="2">Here's what I mentioned to the lance on playing technique:</font></span></span></div><div><span style="WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: separate; FONT: 16px 'Times New Roman'; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: pre; COLOR: rgb(102,102,102); FONT-SIZE: 10px" class="Apple-style-span"><font color="#000000" size="2"></font></span></span></div><div><span style="WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: separate; FONT: 16px 'Times New Roman'; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: pre; COLOR: rgb(102,102,102); FONT-SIZE: 10px" class="Apple-style-span"><font color="#000000" size="2">"<font size="2" face="Arial">There are a cupla spots could be improved on the organ, but this gives you an idea.</font><div><font size="2" face="Arial"></font></div><div><font size="2" face="Arial">If you want the organ track on its own let me know.</font></div><div><font size="2" face="Arial"></font></div><div><font size="2" face="Arial">The main keys are: ride the swell like a true surfie, use the leslie fast and slow to breathe like you are on the vocals for intensity and moments of peace....</font></div><div><font size="2" face="Arial"></font></div><div><font size="2" face="Arial">I find playing with one hand only, holding one anchor note down with your thumb or pinkie, </font></div><div><font size="2" face="Arial">and walking about the chords with the rest of the hand, mostly only averaging two notes </font></div><div><font size="2" face="Arial">between the anchor note (which is E in this tune,) but sometimes 3 or even 4.</font></div><div><font size="2" face="Arial"></font></div><div><font size="2" face="Arial">Don't make clutter (though its my favourite habit) the voice and guitar are the focus so the </font></div><div><font size="2" face="Arial">organ has to support, even hide when it can.</font></div><div>
                      </div><div><font size="2" face="Arial">That's what I reckon anyhow."</font></div><div></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="white-space: normal; "><span class="Apple-style-span" style="white-space: pre; ">Cheers all!</span></span></div><div></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="white-space: normal; ">-Brendoon</span></div></font></span></span></div>

Comment

Working...
                      X