• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning Hammond L101

Hi everyone. </p>

I just bought an L101, and after a few days of playing, I
    turned it on today and heard a crackling sound. I turned it off and
    then back on, and suddenly the pitch was flat by nearly two whole steps. I have unplugged it and am looking around inside, and--even tho it's unplugged--the motor is still making a very faint but consistent clicking noise which sounds kind of electrical.
    </p>

I'm new to this, but I looked around a little bit and saw something on tonewheel general hospital (reply to the question from Jerry at https://www.tonewheelgeneral.com/ind...questions.html) that mentioned that if the amount of power supplied to the organ changes, then it will screw up the tuning... This has lead me to think that maybe the crackle indicated some kind of electrical problem that effects the power supplied to to organ, which threw
    off my tuning. </p>

Does this sound plausible ? If so, I suppose the
    question now is, what am I to do? Any advice? Has anyone delt with similar problems, and does anyone know how to tune a Hammond L101?</p>

Thanks so much for your help!
    Best,
    Kate </p>

Re: Tuning Hammond L101

All tonewheel Hammonds (including your L) operate on a synchronous motor, meaning one that will only turn at a certain frequency: whatever current is coming out of the wall; in the US it's 60hz. The motor is what spins all the tonewheels, which is how tones are generated, so as long as the motor stays at that speed--which it does under normal operating conditions--the tonewheels will spin at the same speed and the organ will never go out of tune. </P>

Your problem seems to indicate that the full 60z is not getting to the motor, which might be a problem with the motor capacitor. The above is really just background knowledge, and plenty of people here should be able to help you troubleshoot.</P>

Welcome to the forum!</P>
    1955 M3 (in good hands!)
    1962 A100
    1942 BC
    too many other keyboards...

Comment

Change the run capacitor, oil the motor and generator. Done.</p>

Geoelectro
      </p>

Comment

Does the shaft spin smoothly by hand? If it does you probably have a problem with the capacitor (Silver oval shaped box mounted in front of the motor) and need to have it replaced.

This is a relatively easy problem to diagnose since the line AC power enters the amp and goes directly to the on/off switch, capacitor and motor - all the other electronics in the organ are not suspect. If the pilot light turns on your problem is either the motor or that capacitor, most likely the capacitor.</p>

Here is a link to the part, change it first.
        </p>

http://www.tonewheelgeneral.com/build_page.php?item_no=RCAP</p>

Oil the motor by adding a few drops of oil to the 2 funnels on either
        side of the motor (they are metal and have spring-loaded covers). Also add Hammond oil (only hammond oil!) to the two funnels above the generator (about 2 table spoons each)
        </p>

Comment

[quote user="geoelectro"]

Change the run capacitor, oil the motor and generator. Done.</p>

Geoelectro
          </p>

[/quote]</p>

Totally agree with geoelectro on this one , had the same problem with a L102 changed out the run capacitor , I had already oiled the generator beforehand , but once the capacitor was renewed it ran at perfect pitch
          </p>

Comment

Hi everyone.</p>

I am glad to report that I was able to get a new run capacitor today and install it, and the problem has been fixed. A big thanks to the forum, and to several kind folks who spent time on the phone with me today, talking to me about what to get and how to install it. I'm so happy to have my organ working again in time to be playing tonight!</p>

Best,</p>

Kate
            </p>

Comment

Working...
            X