This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

I own a jazz club in Vancouver that has a B3. I got a call from someone that wanted to generously donate another B3 to the club which I gladly accepted. As it turns out its a BC. Can someone help me with some of the differences? The obvious one is there is no percussion. Can I add percussion?</p>

</p>

Also its been in storage for a few years and imagine it wasnt used that much before. Its in beautiful shape. Should I oil it, using the oil cups in the hammond? Any help would be apprecaited!</p>

</p>

Re: Help

I THINK.... </P>

The BC has no percussion, no vibrato, no vibrato chorus, and no loud soft control ( no biggie .. loud is good. [:D] )</P>

If you do notneed to start the organ for any reason I would oil it and let it sit for about 4 days before doing anything with it but that is just me.</P>

Well if it was REALLY me since the organ was free I would probably spend the money to havea good organ man to come out and service the thing. .... If you know one one or know someone who knows one.Hammond guysare getting harder to find.The best Hammond service man around here is getting close to 80 years old. It is an aging demographic where I live.</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

Thanks for that. I do know a guy and am going to call him.</p>

Is it possible to add percussion, vibrato, vibrato chorus, loud soft control ??</p>

CW

</p>

Comment

Check "Trek II" for all kinds of stuff. I'm sure you can add percussion, but not sure about vib/chours. Someone more familiar with these will have to answer that. Nice score.

Comment

Yup, CEB's right: no percussion, no scanner vibrato (split or otherwise.) Just FYI here's how that works:</P>

Model BV: has scanner vibrato, but it's either on or off for the whole organ - i.e. not 'split' in the sense of being able to have it on one or the other manual only.</P>

Model B2: has split vibrato, again = selectable for upper manual, lower manual, both together; or neither.</P>

Model B3: has split vibrato and percussion.</P>

There are other slight differences in the preamps, the keys,and the drawbar action that probably needn't concern you now. But as for the BC, it's an interesting beast in that it had a second, 1/2-size tonewheel generator called the 'chorus generator.' This would produce ancillary tones slightly out of tune with the main generator to give an undulating chorus or celeste effect. Not something that really made its way onto a lot of recordings (not since Ethel Smith, anyway!), but a neat feature.</P>

Do note that many BCs will have had field upgrades done back around WWII when the scanner vibrato units became available. The technician would come out and install the scanner unit and controls, disconnecting (and sometimes removing) the chorus generator. They were supposed to then update the ID plate with a little stamp, to make it say "BCV;" but apparently this step was often skipped. If you're lucky and you do have a scanner unit in there, then adding a TrekII percussion unit would make it functionally very close to a B3.</P>

And lots of guys think the earlier Hammonds (BCs and BVs especially) have a fatter sound. So this is a very nice donation! Congrats.</P>

td</P>
          Nobody loves me but my mother,
          And she could be jivin' too...

--BB King

Comment

A couple of places to look for the trek products (good or bad prices, I don't know!)</p>

are</p>

http://www.tonewheelgeneral.com/</p>

and </p>

http://www.goffprof.com/</p>

then, of course ebay!</p>

-Brendoon</p>
            -1958 Hofner 550 archtop guitar -1959 C3 and PR40- -1964 Busillachio Harmonium- -1964 M101-
            -1967ish Leslie 122- -1975 T500 (modded..chopped, and reassembled!)-
            -DIY 760 FrankenLeslie/rat hideout-
            -1980 Electrokey Electric Piano- -Yamaha electric Harmonium (early 80's?)-
            -1990 Jansen GMF150 amp- -1992 Korg 01W/fd- -1992 G&L S-500 geetar.

Comment

I wonder how that generator chorus would sound for jazz. Different, but very cool I bet--and no bass foldback! It should sound killer with walking bass. Add the Trek II percussion--a very common upgrade on non -3 series consoles, especially in the B cabinet--and you'll have a different but possibly even better sounding B3. Awesome!
              1955 M3 (in good hands!)
              1962 A100
              1942 BC
              too many other keyboards...

Comment

Oh and--the tech will know this--but use only Hammond brand oil. You can get it on ebay or from a number of sites including the ones Brendon posted links to. Your tech should have plenty, but it's a good idea to keep a bottle or two on hand so you can take care of that annual maintenance yourself.
                1955 M3 (in good hands!)
                1962 A100
                1942 BC
                too many other keyboards...

Comment

[quote user="tralfaz33"]Check "Trek II" for all kinds of stuff. I'm sure you can add percussion, but not sure about vib/chours. Someone more familiar with these will have to answer that. Nice score.
                  [/quote]</P>

I have bought all my TrekII stuff direct from Mike at TrekII. He's a really helpful guy and dispatches quickly.</P>

Cheers</P>

Dave</P>

Comment

[quote user="toasterDude"]

......And lots of guys think the earlier Hammonds (BCs and BVs especially) have a fatter sound. So this is a very nice donation! Congrats.</P>

td</P>

[/quote]</P>

If I were to gig with an a vintage organ againand could have any organ I wanted it would probably be a clean model A with percussion. The main reason for me though is the size of the cabinet. </P>

Comment

[quote user="redoctoberff"]I wonder how that generator chorus would sound for jazz. Different, but very cool I bet--and no bass foldback! It should sound killer with walking bass.
                      [/quote]</P>

We think alike Red! I was also wondering if a jazzbo could put the chorus effect to good use... and the silly bass foldback is pretty much my main beef with my C3. I think the early consoles are very much underrated --so they'reoften available at bargain prices, to those in the know.</P>

td</P>
                      Nobody loves me but my mother,
                      And she could be jivin' too...

--BB King

Comment

Working...
                      X