This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Threads on Scanner Vibrato

I just finished rebuilding my scanner vibrato, thanks to help form geoelectro.</p>

When I first took apart the oil cup I noticed that at least two of the threads did not go anywhere.  (Loose threads wrapped around the sponge.)</p>

That left me with two threads, one going to the run motor and one to the scanner vibrato.</p>

I ended up taking the scanner apart 2-3 times before getting everything right.  The last time the thread to the scanner broke off with about 1/2 inch left coming out of the scanner.</p>

I guess I could re-tie the thread to the scanner, or else I could try to get a new thread through the hole, etc.</p>

Does anyone have any information on the best way to repair broken threads?  What kind of thread to use?  Etc.</p>

Also, some of the pictures I have seen on rebuilding the scanner vibrato seem to suggest that there are more than the two threads I was left with after having taken apart the oil cup.  Specifically, I saw a picture showing one thread entering the tuna can which was never in place on my unit.</p>

Does anyone know (and hopefully have pictures on) jst how many threads there should be on the combination scanner vibrato/run motor and where they should go?</p>

Thanks,</p>

Mark </p>

Re: Replacing Threads on Scanner Vibrato

I broke a thread the other night .. I found that NO ONE in the entire WORLD WIDE WEB sells them. I ended up pulling a thread of wick from a new oil wick I purchased for my out side oil lamps. (By the way guys, this is the time of year to get them, you can't find them in winter).
    </p>

The new wick was slightly thicker (but not by that much) than the original and will break if you pull too tight when you tie it, but hey the other wick broke without much effort. In addition the new wick strand was flat as opposed to round like thread, but after a while took on the same shape and thickness as the old one.
    </p>

The great part was that it was free and I still get to use my oil lamps if I want to. </p>

I suggest that if you only find the short 4"inch wicks at Walmart, Lowes, or Home Depot get them, you can always extend the length by tying longer string to the wick strand (on both ends) and so you can get a good grip, and have better control of the gear you are trying to tie.</p>

Good luck.
    </p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

I believe any light gauge of plain cotton string will do the trick. You should have 4 threads in total: one to the run motor on the generator side (enters the side of the oil cup with 1 tube); one to the center of the scanner (enters the opposite side of the oil cup, in the long tube); the other one from the scanner + the one to the run motor shaft on the scanner side (twist together and go through the remaining short tube).</p>

</p>

Comment

I love this topic. Guess it's the woman in me debating.</p>

Thread or string does not have the properties to "wick", oh you can get it wet but it will not continually wick. Once a thread or cotton string is wet.. well its just wet until it dries and this is just what happens with water. Oil on a cotton string just sits there.</p>

Cotton string or thread is just not really sold anymore without wax, nylon, or polyester additives.. Guess you could try a sham wow thread [:D] Instead.
        </p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

Working...
        X