Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did you first hear of these famous Hammond organists?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did you first hear of these famous Hammond organists?

Jimmy Smith- About early this year, Winter of 09, when I was watching videos of Tony Monaco and he made references to Jimmy Smith in his videos. I have become a large fan since.</P>

Billy Preston- Early this Summer actually. Not sure what caused me to find out about him but I've been a fan since. I also found out he played with Clapton and he really was great.</P>

Walter Wanderly- Early this Winter. Basically Iheard his Summer Samba and have been a fan ever since.</P>

Lenny Dee- He camepretty Early, Fall of 2007 while watching youtube videos, this was actually before I knew what a Hammond was but I lovedLennys style.</P>

Jimmy McGriff- Probably around Summer of this year as well while I was researching BillyPreston, heplayed afew great songs forRonnie Earl in Healin time.</P>

Keith Emmerson- Haven't really listened to hisstuff but I think I first heard/saw a video of him was Summer of last year. </P>

Booker T- Christmas of 2008 I believe,my uncleshowedme a video ofGreenOnions on youtube, I've been a fan ever since. </P>

Milt Buckner- Summer of 2008, not long after the Battlefield demo featuring his Beast song.</P>

Re: When did you first hear of these famous Hammond organists?

Here are a few others to look into:</P>

Reuben Wilson</P>

Lucky Peterson</P>

Al Kooper</P>

John Novello</P>

Joey DeFrancesco</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

You guys missed:</P>

Chester Thompsom - Tower of Power and Santana to name a couple. How about Rod Argent of the Zombies and Felix Cavaliere of the Rascals. If you want to hear some great Hammond, Pipe and Synth pick up a copy of Rick Wakeman's The Six Wives of Henry the 8th.</P>

There are far to many to list.</P>

H101</P>
      <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

Dr Lonnie Smith, Barbara D., and McDuff.</P>

Comment

You wans/needs Keefers. Chuck the rest out.

Comment

I sort of thought that way 30 years ago. But eventaully I started to get bored with him. [:O]

Comment

Gregg Rollie, Goldy McJohn, John Lord and the organ player for "The Band." Forgot his name but he wasn't originally on a Hammond.
              http://www.petty-larceny-band.com/

Yamaha DGX-300
              1959 Hammond M3
              1961 Hammond A101
              VB3 with M Audio Axiom
              1975 Leslie 130 upgraded with V21 top rotor, tube amp, wood lower rotor
              1972 Leslie 825 upgraded with top rotor, etc.
              2011 Neo Ventilator
              Casio WK-7500
              Yamaha P50m Module
              Roland VR-09
              Casio PX-5S

Comment

Also Springsteens late B3 player: Danny Federici.

Yamaha DGX-300
                1959 Hammond M3
                1961 Hammond A101
                VB3 with M Audio Axiom
                2011 Neo Ventilator
                Casio WK-7500
                Yamaha P50m Module
                Roland VR-09
                Casio PX-5S

Comment

[quote user="bossbandbob"]....and the organ player for "The Band." Forgot his name but he wasn't originally on a Hammond.
                  [/quote]</P>

Pretty sure that's Garth Hudson, played a modified Lowrey......HL-25, maybe?</P>

Comment

I heard Jon Lord for the first time when I was like... 14 maybe 15. He was my first true 'master'. Then Greg Rollie shortly after. Keith Emerson was next but I never wanted to play like him. Finally Vincent Crane when I heard Crazy World of Athur Brown fir the first time when I was 20. I'm 29 today :-)</p>

Jazz organist - only Jimmy Smith.
                    </p>
                    Is:
                    Nord C2

Was:
                    Hammond L122
                    Leslie 147

L100 modifications: www.gietek.me.uk

Comment

When I was still learning my ABC's Dad was thrashing about half a dozen Booker T tracks on his old tape deck, also Whiter Shade of Pale et al, but when I was about 9 my brother brought home Deep Purple and I was hooked. When I was 15 I bathed myself daily in Alan Clarke's understated but essential playing in Dire Straits (Love over Gold album especially) and Billy Preston's incredible stuff with Clapton. From Eighteen to 35 I wasted my life trying to get my synth sounding like a Hammond, and learning guitar so I could play like Blackmore and Lord at the same time and sing like Gillan.</p>

I never joined a Band because I wasn't sure whether I was a guitarist organist or vocalist. I thought instead I'd do the Mike Oldfield thing....</p>

If only I'd known that my $5000 for a synth in 1992 could have imported several real B3s and Leslies.... It never occured to me that nobody wanted them back then, I thought it would be impossible to even see a real one, let alone buy and import one.</p>

If I'd bought a B3 back in the nineties I'm sure my life would have followed a very different path!!!!</p>

Now I'm 39 and still not quite in my prime!</p>

-Brendon</p>
                      -1958 Hofner 550 archtop guitar -1959 C3 and PR40- -1964 Busillachio Harmonium- -1964 M101-
                      -1967ish Leslie 122- -1975 T500 (modded..chopped, and reassembled!)-
                      -DIY 760 FrankenLeslie/rat hideout-
                      -1980 Electrokey Electric Piano- -Yamaha electric Harmonium (early 80's?)-
                      -1990 Jansen GMF150 amp- -1992 Korg 01W/fd- -1992 G&L S-500 geetar.

Comment

Whats that '92 synth worth today?</P>
                        <P mce_keep="true"></P>

If you had a 70'sminimoog say you'd be having a profit today (thanks to *******-genre musics now embracing the raw sound.) But in 90s minis were going for $200 in pawnshops!</P>

Comment

Lenny Dee, my dad took me to see Lenny Dee as a Teenager (early to mid 70s). Lenny was playing in his own dinner club on the beaches of St. Petersburg Fl. I was more intoThree Dog Night, Guess Who, Deep Purpleand Yes back then.I was impressed with all the sounds thatLenny could make on his organ. My dad bought me a large Thomas Lawrence Welk modelorgan back then and I was never inpressed with it. It wasn't until a few years ago that I got my first Hammond and realized the difference. I never forgot Lenny and wished I had took the timeto see him play before his passing.I've listen to Lenny many times and as I listen I tink aboutthe registrations he may have been using.I know his organ was an A model and quite customized. Good memories. Santa</P>

RT3, B3, BC, A100, M3, M103, R124, E100, Elegante &amp; Comadore. 21H, 22H, 122, 251&amp; 640 Leslies</P>
                          <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

The 70's was a wild time for music!</p>

(As for the current value of the old synth, no comment!)</p>
                            -1958 Hofner 550 archtop guitar -1959 C3 and PR40- -1964 Busillachio Harmonium- -1964 M101-
                            -1967ish Leslie 122- -1975 T500 (modded..chopped, and reassembled!)-
                            -DIY 760 FrankenLeslie/rat hideout-
                            -1980 Electrokey Electric Piano- -Yamaha electric Harmonium (early 80's?)-
                            -1990 Jansen GMF150 amp- -1992 Korg 01W/fd- -1992 G&L S-500 geetar.

Comment

[quote user="Dave S."]

[quote user="bossbandbob"]....and the organ player for "The Band." Forgot his name but he wasn't originally on a Hammond.
                              [/quote]</p>

Pretty sure that's Garth Hudson, played a modified Lowrey......HL-25, maybe?</p>

[/quote]
                              </p>

...watching Garth on "The Last Waltz" on VH1C right now.
                              The camera angles and lighting make it tough to tell exactly what organ
                              he's playing but it sure sounds like it's hooked up to a Leslie! Aha-
                              just saw the Leslie louvres in the background.There may be more than
                              one organ on stage.</p>

Dang, they sure were one heckova band!</p>

Bob</p>

Yamaha DGX-300
                              1959 Hammond M3
                              1961 Hammond A101
                              VB3 with M Audio Axiom
                              2011 Neo Ventilator
                              Casio WK-7500
                              Yamaha P50m Module
                              Roland VR-09
                              Casio PX-5S

Comment

Working...
                              X