This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help picking a Hammond?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and just got an M-3. I'm thinking about using it as a gigging instrument, but would like something for home as well. The following are on Craigslist in my area right now.</P>

What do you know about these models and what might work for me? I'm into blues, jazz, and occassional country/rock. I'm still looking for a leslie cabinet to use with my M-3 too.</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

I'm thinking about picking up the M-2 so I have one to gig and one at home, but waiting to hear what you all think!</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Hammond Organ Model J212 $50</P>

hammond organ model #t-595c $1000</P>
    <P mce_keep="true">Hammond Console Organ M-2 1956 $25 needs new tubes</P>
    <P mce_keep="true">model "A", ser # 726 with JR-20 4 speaker cabinet $300</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    <P mce_keep="true">Thanks,</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    <P mce_keep="true">Dave</P>

Re: Help picking a Hammond?

"Hammond Console Organ M-2 1956 $25 needs new tubes

</p>

model "A", ser # 726 with JR-20 4 speaker cabinet $300"</p>

</p>

Those are for sure your best bets...in terms of price and value. The M2 is a joke at $25 (in the good sense), and if the model A is truly what it says to be, it would be deemed a considerable collectors item at a fantastic price. Since you have an M3, i'd say get the model A pronto!!! Try to get some pics and we can clarify what it is. Regards to the other models, J series is all transistor and not going to sound very hammond-like. The T is a nice model that many on the board tinker with, but asking for a grand is laughable. In the US the T's are not sought after much due to the abundance of consoles and M's and L's.
    </p>

Comment

1. IMHO all "J" series were/are junk, and I was there when they tried to sell 'em new.</P>

2. Way, way, way overpriced for a T, even if it were brand new in a box. Tone wheel generator is ok, but will need mods as suggested by our friend in Oz to make you happy.</P>

3. M-2 same as what you have without perc. A great item so long as it has not been buried or underwater.</P>

An original "A" is a treasure almost no matter what the condition, either for total refurb or modification.</P>
      <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Good Luck</P>

Larry</P>
      Larry K

Hammond A-3 System, Celviano for piano practice
      Retired: Hammond BV+22H+DR-20, Hammond L-102, M-3, S-6, H-112, B-2+21H+PR-40, B-3+21H, Hammond Aurora Custom, Colonnade.

Comment

I like the model A for a rock organ. The reason is the size of the cabnet. It is only abut 2 feet deep which makes it easier to move in and out through doors. You probably will want to EQ the output some how. Maybe roll off the highs on whatever leslie you run it through or EQ the heck out of the mic'd signal cause model A are sort of bright and raw sounding. In a blindfold test you mightactually like the sound of the M better than the A but I personally don't like playing spinets. I would NOT use a A for Jazz but the size of the cabinet makes it a nice gigging organ. IMO</P>
        <P mce_keep="true"></P>
        <P mce_keep="true"></P>
        <P mce_keep="true"></P>
        <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

It's all been said really. J for Junk - yup! T500 - divide price by 10 and you have a nice instrument for home, built in leslie and plenty of scope for some fun modding. An A can really be a treasure, especially an early one like this, and with a tone cab as well! I don't like the original M that much but I'm probably wanting it to do things you don't. I much prefer the M100.</p>

</p>

</p>
          It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
          Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
          Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
          Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Called Salvation Army and the A was sold! Should have jumped on it. I may get the M-2 or hold out since I already have the M-3, but for the price, if the M-2 is available, I probably would get it!</P>
            <P mce_keep="true"></P>

D</P>

Comment

Dave, I'm sorry to interrupt your thread, but I think you already have your answers. Wish I had similar choices you have..</P>

I would like Andy to look at this, please: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hammond-M102-O...d=p3286.c0.m14</P>

It would be my Hammond and Leslie for sure. Only problem is that almost all the organs in UK are pick up only and I am living here in Finland "with polar bears walking in the streets"[:P]</P>

If you have any contacts with transport companies that would bring a load like this to Finland, please let me know. We are totally out of reasonably priced Hammonds and Leslieshere. I had to buy my T-200 from Denmark, and the freight cost was about the same as the price of the organ but it was worth it!</P>

Cheers, Jussi</P>

P.S. Everyday I enjoy my 5 o'clock T after work ...</P>
              E-333 (modified)
              Leslie 147 (surprise, not modified...)
              Previous:
              T-200 (modified and sold)
              T-500 (modified and sold)

Comment

Hi Jussi</p>

I'd seen that one. It was the Leslie 146 (!) that caught my eye. This will no doubt go much higher because of the leslie but it does look a very nice pairing.</p>

It was over 20 years ago that I worked in freight, but that was only on the south coast. I wanted a local job that didn't keep me away playing concerts while my kids were very young. I expect any companies I knew then are gone by now. There used to be ferries from Newcastle to Bergen, but I'm not even sure if they run any more. That's about as near as I can think of.</p>

Keep telling yourself. "I need a holiday in England, I need a holiday in England, I need a holiday in England......!" :D
                </p>
                It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Andy is right. Travelling to pick up a Hammond is as memorable as the first time you play it. Next Monday will be a year since I hired a Transit van and drove with my Wife to London to pick up my first two ebay Hammonds, an L122 and a T202. It will also be a year since I joined this great forum [H]</P>

When I got my Hammond C3 (or RT3 as it was then) a month or two later I sold the T202 to a guy in Bahrain. Goodness knows how much it cost him in carriage. It was £400 for him just to get it crated and couriered to the nearest airport.</P>

I really wished that I'd kept it now though [:(]</P>

Cheers</P>

Dave</P>

Comment

Hi Dave and Andy,</P>

Thanks for your fast reply. I would like to come and get it myself but my thin wallet says no. When I found my T in Denmark the freight was 200 € and if I had gone there to get it myself it would have been like 600 € + the diesel 'cause it's so expensive to take a van to a ship.</P>

I'll ask the same company if they have trucks driving in UK too, let's see...</P>

Jussi</P>
                    E-333 (modified)
                    Leslie 147 (surprise, not modified...)
                    Previous:
                    T-200 (modified and sold)
                    T-500 (modified and sold)

Comment

Oh man, I wish you'd gotten that A. What a steal that would have been. For some reason those have a lot more appeal to me than a lot of the older ones, even if they don't have that many features... it's such an awesome piece of Hammond (and American) history!</p>

The M2 might be good but will probably seem lacking without a Leslie. The percussion is what really makes the M3 acceptable to many, I think. You could add percussion to the M2 with a Trek II kit, but that's not really worth it for a spinet, or so the consensus seems to be. ($250, so five times what you paid for it, plus tubes...)</p>

And I definitely agree that a lot of the fun in getting a Hammond is the journey to pick it up. You'd think it'd be a pain, but as long as the drive is within reason, it's been enjoyable for me.
                      </p>
                      1955 M3 (in good hands!)
                      1962 A100
                      1942 BC
                      too many other keyboards...

Comment

I'm going to get the M-2 tomorrow - too good of a deal to pass up. I think it may need one tube. It's been in the same family since it was built. They even have the receipt! My M-3 is missing the bench and music stand so this will even help make the M-3 look complete.</P>

I'm looking at Leslies now for both M's.</P>

Will I miss the percussion? I think so, but maybe the M-2 will be the house organ and the M-3 the gigging organ? Either way, for $25 I've made a steal!</P>
                        <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Dave</P>

Comment

Got the m-2 last week. It won't fire up, but it is in pristine condition. One tube is not lighting, so I'll start there.</P>

Now there's an M-3 in great shape for $100. Should have waited for that one....might get it anyway!</P>

Dave</P>

Comment

Working...
                          X