This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leslie Upgrade

Has anyone installed a bass baffle board for a 145/147 in a model 45 Leslie? I purchased a reproduction board so I could mount the two speed bass motor in it's proper location. It looks like the original board is glued in and it would be a nightmare to remove it. My 45 is near perfect and I don't want to hack it up so I am asking if it's doable.

Re: Leslie Upgrade

I 've done just that on a 710, and here's how I did it: Remove everything from inside (amp, speakers, motors, crossover etc.). Get a can of acetone from any hardware store. You also need a fat syringe such as is used for injecting flavor into a roast. Using this syringe inject acetone into all of the glued joints holding the old baffle board. This will soften the glue, and after a few applications you will be able to slide out the baffle. On my 710 there were no nails or brads reinforcing the joints, yours may be different. Be very careful with acetone coming in contact with the outside finish, it will damage it. Also be aware that acetone melts plastic, I found out the hard way since parts of the syringe I was using were made of plastic. Now glue in the new baffle board and you got yourself a 147.</P>

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. Work only in a well ventilated area. Wear acetone resistant gloves. Watch the finish of the cabinet. Acetone is pretty strong stuff!</P>

Enjoy your new 147.</P>

Comment

Why thank you. I'll do just that. Last summer I stripped and refinished my Leslie and I sure hope I don't mess it up with the acetone. I even got the gold script "Leslie" decal for the front of the unit. I'll post my results.

Comment

I'm sure that with a little care you'll get excellent results.</P>

Where did you get the Leslie decals from? I could use a few myself.</P>

Comment

Click on search our decal catalog and go from there."leslie" I got the small one in gold. It seems to be correct. I looked a long time for these and was told by many they don't exist because of copyright. Even contacted Hammond Suzuki and there replay was that they silkscreen now and don't use decals. It is the finishing touch. Frank</P>

</P>

http://www.piercepianoatlas.com/decals.html</P>

Comment

Interesting thread! HW, thanks for the tip on removing the shelf - I have a 45 I may do this on, at least to the upper shelf. So: Frank, did you buy the repro shelf/baffle from Valhalla woodworking? I think these are the guys who supply Tonewheel General. Something like $66 for the upper baffle? Also, did you buy the motor enclosure box, or do you plan to make one?</P>

thanks-</P>

Scott</P>
            Nobody loves me but my mother,
            And she could be jivin' too...

--BB King

Comment

[quote user="tonedeaf"] I even got the gold script "Leslie" decal for the front of the unit. I'll post my results.[/quote]</p>

Can you tell me who's supplying these please. Mine's OK, but if I get my 760 stripped and polished I'll need one.</p>

Andy
              </p>
              It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
              Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
              Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
              Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Andy</P>

I have bought Hammond logos here and they also do Leslie ones; Very good high quality and you have to apply them by painting the back with tacky varnish. I ordered two just in case (and I needed that second one!)</P>

http://www.pianodecals.com/store/search.php?mode=search</P>

Cheers</P>

Dave</P>

Comment

I bought the base baffel from tonewheel and it was from Vahalla. Quality piece. I made the motor box when I put the two speed upper motor in. I know the 145 has the motor and horn offset to the right[looking from the back]but it looks like all wll fit. andyg, I posted a link to the decal above.</P>

Frank</P>

Comment

Hiwatt, thanks for the tip. I have been puzzling about doing something similar. I am (slowly) working toward gutting a 212s, and turning it into an 8 ohm passive cabinet. I am contemplating some shelf changes as well. I'm not familiar with those syringes, are they sharp enough that you are squirting acetone into the glue joint? Mine looks like it would benefit from turning it upside down, and doing the same all around on the bottom as well.</p>

thx,</p>

Scott S.
                    </p>
                    Unwanted Bitcoin? Dispose of them safely here:14hjbheQVki8eG75otRK4d2MQBarCCWQfJ

Comment

I found a link to something similar that I used at http://ww.walmart.com/catalog/produc...ct_id=11228446(Grillpro Marinade Injector)</P>

You just rest the needle against a glued seam, and as you guide the needle along the seam you gently push the plunger to release the acetone onto the dried glue. It will eventually melt it, no need to stick the needle inside the glue.</P>

Since Leslies were mostly glued together you should theoretically be able to completely disassemble a Leslie into its original panels. They do use brads (headless nails) in some places for reinforcement, like in the top and bottom moldings. (Or is it 'mouldings', or 'decorative wooden strips' or....)</P>
                      <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

Thanks for the info. I am contemplating trying to remove bottom shelf completely, rotate it 180 degrees, and put it back in. I have a Leslie 212s, in the bottom it doesn't have a baffle/rotor, it has a Rotosonic drum with two 5x7 speaker. It has a 15" speaker, but it is on the left (as viewed from behind). Since the Rotosonic drum has a little routed place in the floor for the lower bearing, and the speaker hole and top Rotosonic drum bearing appear to be about exactly the same from the side wall, I am wondering about rotating it, and trying to put it back in. Here is an approximate top view, as viewed from behind:</p>

</p>

The dots represent the center of the speaker hole on the left, and the Rotosonic drum on the right. It would be very cool if I could rotate it, put it back in, and use the lower Rotosonic drum bearing for the new rotor. I would have to suspend the top bearing in the speaker hole as normal.</p>

Another problem with this, is that the left side isn't routed all the way to the back edge:</p>

</p>

When it was built, it had to have been slid in from the front, before the front panel was in place (it is routed all the way to the front). It looks like for me to put any shelf in there with the speaker hole on the right, I will have to do a few inches of wood chiseling. Even if I just destroyed the old one getting it out, I will still need a routed/chiseled path on the left all the way to the back, to get anything in.</p>

My other choice is to leave the baffle board in, and fabricate rotor mountings on the left, under the existing speaker hole. I don't know which would be harder, to rotate the baffle board, or to try to re-route a new spot in the floor for the lower bearings. The free vertical space is 10.75 inches in the bottom.</p>

Currently below the speaker, is a 2-speed motor for the Rotosonic drum. The motor is supported by brackets that could be removed/replaced if the baffle were rotated. </p>

Here is a view of the existing drum motor. You can see the speaker cutout above the motor, and part of the drum on the right.</p>

</p>

Thx,</p>

Scott S.
                        </p>
                        Unwanted Bitcoin? Dispose of them safely here:14hjbheQVki8eG75otRK4d2MQBarCCWQfJ

Comment

Working...
                        X