This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammond Elegante problems

Hi, this is my first time on here although I have been searching through some of the previous posts to see if anyone else had similar problems, but not having much luck so far.</p>

I have been given an Elegante, model 340107 which had/still has quite a few issues, some of which I have been able to fix. A number of the features do not work although I'm not too concerned about them at this stage. </p>

The main problem is this: each time I power up, only the lower manual produces any sound while the upper just produces clicks. The drawbars on the lower all work and so do the preset keys. However, after about 1 minute, there is a low volume thump and the upper manual starts working as normal but the lower one 'switches off'. I also noticed that if I hold down any notes on the lower manual when powering up, the volume starts off fairly loud then quickly settles back to 'normal'. There is also some static or crackling during this period. When the upper manual is working, the only sound I can get on the lower is the brush and snare drum.
    </p>

I have checked and cleaned all the board and in-line connectors and increased the tension on each individual pin contact. This has eliminated some static that was previously present at all times but has done nothing to help this major problem. I also replaced all the thermal compound on each heat sink in case there was some overheating. </p>

I would really appreciate if anyone on the forum could suggest what could be possibly be causing this. If I can get it fixed to where I can at least get both keyboards working properly, I'll then concentrate on restoring some of the other non-functioning functions.</p>

Incidentally, I found a way of repairing a couple of the reversed color keys that were not locking down, so if anyone needs info on this, I would be happy to let them know how I did it (or should I start a new thread?).
    </p>

Regards,</p>

Alistair
    </p>

</p>

</p>
    Technics EA5, Yamaha HS8T, Roland KR575, Ensoniq ZR-76, Korg DP-3000C.

Re: Hammond Elegante problems

Your next step would be obtaining a service manual if you don't already have one and going through the amplifier/power supply area. Something isn't coming up to normal keying voltage according to the description of your problem.

Comment

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Hi Alistair,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">I own an Elegante 340107. So far I have been lucky. I have been able to solve most arising problems by just partially unplugging and re-plugging connectors and contacts about 3 times without using any spray cleaner. In some instances I had to (like you did) bend contacts to increase tension. I can not remember if the Elegante has socketed IC's. Sometimes IC creep causes bad pin connections and just pushingthem hard into the socket can fix things.Don’t break the board. <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Iknow little about electronics andif my Elegante had your problems I would bereally stumped. As OrgansR4Me already said, checking voltages is a good start. But you need a Service Manual for this. I got mineat eBay for US$20 plus postage.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Good luck with this.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Skippy<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
      <P mce_keep="true"></P>
      AS FAR AS ORGANS ARE CONCERNED - I'M A GOOD MECHANIC AND A HOPELESS DRIVER.
      Hammond C3 & M102 & Elegante & PR40. Yamaha D85 & D65 & FS30 & MC600 & GX76. Thomas Celebrity Royale 871, Kawai T5 & E550, Conn 643 & 632 & 552.Lowrey H25R2. Elka EP12. Orla D6180, Wurlitzer 4430 & Omni 7000 & 555. Roland D70 & RA90 . Ferrofish B4000+. Leslie 145 & 705 & 710 & 720

Comment

Yes, I'm beginning to suspect that the power supply is possibly where the fault lies. I've found that the two 5-watt resistors, which are both rated at 1200 ohms, have widely differing values. I'm going to unsolder one end of each to double-check, just in case other components are affecting the meter readings. It seems a bit weird that the lower manual works fine for a short time then the organ switches over to the upper, almost as if a relay had operated.</p>

Anyway, thanks for your reply and hopefully, I'll be able to come back with a solution.</p>

Regards,</p>

Alistair
        </p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

Hi Skippy,</p>

Thanks for replying. I'd already unplugged and re-plugged each connector a number of times, although I never thought to try doing it partially. What I did notice was that in some cases, although the plug body was snug against the socket, some of the individual connectors were not fully mated on the pins. I overcame this by pushing each one down with a blunt screwdriver blade, which worked just as well as a punch-down tool. While doing this, I found 5 or 6 wires which were only held in place by the plastic insulation and were not making any electrical connection. I re-terminated these and now have a couple more tabs working. </p>

Some of the IC's are socketed and I have checked that these are seated okay. I have been wondering if it would be worthwhile getting a service manual as I've had some mixed results in the past with some non-organ books. Some don't give much in the way of detailed information, such as voltage readings and only seem to provide routine maintenance data. Perhaps you would be good enough to let me know if your book provides voltages, etc. You certainly did well getting it for $20 as the only source I can find so far wants $65 plus postage. I'll keep checking online though and see if I can get one for less, as funds are a bit limited at present.</p>

I'll certainly let you know how I get on with 'the project''.</p>

regards,</p>

Alistair
          </p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

Genuine Hammond service manuals are more or less schematics and board diagrams from this era. There should also be a poster-like logic diagram. If you are looking for a "how-to" manual, this is not like that. Mostly how to get it open and unfold the case, and what circuits perform what function.</P>

Although tedious, it might be best to continue on as you have been, even with a magnifying glass. I have found that if things work and then don't, it is sometimes bad connections or solder joints. Carefully look over the tabs and the boards they are attached to, along with the connectors on each board. I have run into cold or broken solder joints at the sockets for those plugs, creating crazy intermittent "switch-like" issues as things heat and cool. Unless this organ was badly abused or shaken, you should be able to get it going. Cheap dental tools from a flea market are very helpful to poke around at the sockets (power off).</P>
            Larry K

Hammond A-3 System, Celviano for piano practice
            Retired: Hammond BV+22H+DR-20, Hammond L-102, M-3, S-6, H-112, B-2+21H+PR-40, B-3+21H, Hammond Aurora Custom, Colonnade.

Comment

[quote user="Gourockian"]

Hi Skippy,</P>

Perhaps you would be good enough to let me know if your book provides voltages, etc.</P>

[/quote]</P>

Just send me a PM with your email address and the circuit areas you are interested in. I am prepared to do a few scans for you. But not thecomplete manual. There are a lot of A3 foldouts and my old scannercan onlymanage A4. I would have to do the A3's in two or 3 scans. You can stitch them up with applications like "Panorama Maker". TheLogic &amp; Control Wiring Diagram isa huge affairandimpossible for me to scan.</P>

Cheers,</P>

Skippy</P>
              AS FAR AS ORGANS ARE CONCERNED - I'M A GOOD MECHANIC AND A HOPELESS DRIVER.
              Hammond C3 & M102 & Elegante & PR40. Yamaha D85 & D65 & FS30 & MC600 & GX76. Thomas Celebrity Royale 871, Kawai T5 & E550, Conn 643 & 632 & 552.Lowrey H25R2. Elka EP12. Orla D6180, Wurlitzer 4430 & Omni 7000 & 555. Roland D70 & RA90 . Ferrofish B4000+. Leslie 145 & 705 & 710 & 720

Comment

Can you provide the Hammond Elegante 340100 Pin Out for the Leslie connector? I am trying to connect my Elegante to a Leslie 2101 with an 11 pin cable. The bass and stationary channels work fine. There is NO sound from the rotor! And advice?

Dan D.
                Leslie 31H Type 2 x2, 45 x2, 251, 351, 720, 710 x3, 700, 2101, 925, 860, 700, 330, 120 x2, 104, 25, 125 x2
                Hammond Concorde 2312M, Hammond Elegante 304100, Hammond A-100, Hammond C2
                Nord Electro 4D & 5D, Kawai MP6, Ensoniq ESQ &Mirage, Wurlitzer Electric Piano 200
                Lowry GAK25 & GAK
                Farfisa Combo Compact

Comment

Standard 11- Pin, Leslie Pinout:
                  http://www.captain-foldback.com/Leslie_sub/pinouts.htm
                  Not aware on any difference for the Elegante.
                  Have: Hammond 340212 Elegante
                  Had: Hammond T-311 and 333114 Colonnade
                  Never will have: Laurens Hammond 350 w/ 2 - 751 Leslies

Comment

Working...
                  X