Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I found a way to play left hand bass on my M3!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found a way to play left hand bass on my M3!

Check this out. I hardly ever play a gig where I don't play left hand bass. So I got an idea the other day. I wired in an effects loop to the lower manual signal coming out of the matching transformer and hooked in a boss octave pedal!!!!

It was an OC-2 so I knew even if it worked it would should a little weird, but to my surprise it worked great! I jsut ran it back into the organ and out to the leslie. I need to test out how it works when running it out to a bass amp instead.

I have the organ at a club where I host a weekly funk jam so its not easy for me to go in and make a video, but hopefully I can get something posted up on youtube sometime soon.

I was wondering if anyone else has done this sort of thing, and wanted to encourage anyone who was curious about this to try it.

-Walter
    Hammond M3
    Hammond XK3
    1976 Rhodes MkII
    Clavinet D6

For bass I use:
    Edirol PCR-500
    ASUS 1005HA netbook
    Spectrasonics Trilogy VST bass synth

It's certainly easier than rewiring the whole lower manual!

If you could scribble up a diagram with a few details it might make a good thing to post here as an archive....
    -1958 Hofner 550 archtop guitar -1959 C3 and PR40- -1964 Busillachio Harmonium- -1964 M101-
    -1967ish Leslie 122- -1975 T500 (modded..chopped, and reassembled!)-
    -DIY 760 FrankenLeslie/rat hideout-
    -1980 Electrokey Electric Piano- -Yamaha electric Harmonium (early 80's?)-
    -1990 Jansen GMF150 amp- -1992 Korg 01W/fd- -1992 G&L S-500 geetar.

Comment

Cool! I'd like to try this on my M3 as it sounds fairly easy. I'd just like to see how and where you wired the effects loop in a video or photos.
      Bob
      http://www.petty-larceny-band.com/

Yamaha DGX-300
      1959 Hammond M3
      1961 Hammond A101
      VB3 with M Audio Axiom
      1975 Leslie 130 upgraded with V21 top rotor, tube amp, wood lower rotor
      1972 Leslie 825 upgraded with top rotor, etc.
      2011 Neo Ventilator
      Casio WK-7500
      Yamaha P50m Module
      Roland VR-09
      Casio PX-5S

Comment

I'd like to see how you did it too. However mine is an M-100. think it would work? How about internally? BTW you can't play lower than F of course.

Comment

also waiting as it sounds simple and I keep trying to play more keys then I have!
          1956 M3, 51 Leslie Young Chang spinet, Korg Krome and Kronos

Comment

Comment

Here's the part of the wiring diagram that shows the matching transformer. The red arrow shows where I wired in the effects loop.

It was really simple. You don't even need to take off the tone generator cover. Just pull out the matching transformer and take off the cover. The green and yellow wires are really easy to locate. The yellow carries the signal from the lower manual, so just unsolder it from the transformer and solder a 1/4" jack to each wire in addition to a ground wire and you're done!

The wiring is a little shoddy at the moment, so I'll need to clean it up a bit before I post some pictures. I'd like to add a switch for a hard bypass, but I'm not sure where to put it yet.

@Jazzer, I was a little confused by your post. but there is definitely a minor issue with getting the volumes volumes right due to the impedence issues you mentioned. I think this can be easily addressed with a volume pot.
              Attached Files
              Hammond M3
              Hammond XK3
              1976 Rhodes MkII
              Clavinet D6

For bass I use:
              Edirol PCR-500
              ASUS 1005HA netbook

Comment

The trouble with L100 is there is only one channel so the only way of getting 16' notes is to lower 8' on the lower manual but the you loose the 8' unless the octavider allows mixing wet and dry signals.
                Is:
                Nord C2

Was:
                Hammond L122
                Leslie 147

L100 modifications: www.gietek.me.uk

Comment

The octavider would lower the whole manual, right?
                  So you'd actually lose the 1' and the 2', not the 8' as such.

That's the useful thing with digital effects, an analogue divider can only do one tone at a time.

There's a dedicated unit coming out soon to give consoles bass all the way down, ie analogue octaving on just the foldback notes.
                  It's great also on spinets if you lower the manual by resoldering the terminal strip....

But an effects unit with a guitar pedal doing the whole manual ought to sound pretty much the same. The downside is you either have to have an effects pedal on the loose in your organ all the time, the upside is you can switch it on or off. Means you get a standard lower manual position back again.

The analogue unit I THINK is coming out as a kit from Geoff Willamson and Simon Burtsal, Simon's a member here, Geoff's on Hammond Zone over on Yahoo.
                  -1958 Hofner 550 archtop guitar -1959 C3 and PR40- -1964 Busillachio Harmonium- -1964 M101-
                  -1967ish Leslie 122- -1975 T500 (modded..chopped, and reassembled!)-
                  -DIY 760 FrankenLeslie/rat hideout-
                  -1980 Electrokey Electric Piano- -Yamaha electric Harmonium (early 80's?)-
                  -1990 Jansen GMF150 amp- -1992 Korg 01W/fd- -1992 G&L S-500 geetar.

Comment

You said locate the green and yellow wire and only use the yellow wire because it's the lower manual. So what do you mean solder a 1/4 jack to the "wires"? What is the other wire?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Keyman View Post
                      You said locate the green and yellow wire and only use the yellow wire because it's the lower manual. So what do you mean solder a 1/4 jack to the "wires"? What is the other wire?
                      I think we need some pictures of the back of an M3 to locate the proper matching transformer (and wires) itself first. Anyone have one?
                      http://www.petty-larceny-band.com/

Yamaha DGX-300
                      1959 Hammond M3
                      1961 Hammond A101
                      VB3 with M Audio Axiom
                      1975 Leslie 130 upgraded with V21 top rotor, tube amp, wood lower rotor
                      1972 Leslie 825 upgraded with top rotor, etc.
                      2011 Neo Ventilator
                      Casio WK-7500
                      Yamaha P50m Module
                      Roland VR-09
                      Casio PX-5S

Comment

Until I can get back into the club to take a picture, I made a crude diagram (shown below) to show how I wired the send and return jacks. There's only one wire of interest (the yellow wire) which is soldered to a terminal in the transformer. The green wires in the diagram are ones you need to add yourself.

So to get the signal out of the organ and then back in, you can solder an output jack to the terminal where the yellow used to be. Then solder an input or "return" jack to the yellow wire, which then feeds the "returned" signal through the upper switch panel and out to the vibrato scanner and eventually the amplifier.

Hope this clears up any confusion. This weekend I should have time to find a decent housing, clean up my wiring job and take some good pics. If anyone is in near Fort Collins, CO, I'm playing a show at this club Saturday night in case you wanna come down and check out the modded organ. The venue is called Hodi's Half Note.

Click image for larger version

Name:	M3_efx_loop.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	581604
                        Hammond M3
                        Hammond XK3
                        1976 Rhodes MkII
                        Clavinet D6

For bass I use:
                        Edirol PCR-500
                        ASUS 1005HA netbook

Comment

Originally posted by Brendon Wright View Post
                          The octavider would lower the whole manual, right?
                          So you'd actually lose the 1' and the 2', not the 8' as such.
                          If you are replying to my post, no. While M-3 have two separate channels for the manuals, L100 has only one. You can't divide just lower manual - it would apply dividing to both manuals and that's what we don't want, do we.
                          So you can't actually lower bottom manual on L100. It has to be 8' drawbar. No other way.
                          Is:
                          Nord C2

Was:
                          Hammond L122
                          Leslie 147

L100 modifications: www.gietek.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by gientke View Post
                            If you are replying to my post, no. While M-3 have two separate channels for the manuals, L100 has only one. You can't divide just lower manual - it would apply dividing to both manuals and that's what we don't want, do we.
                            So you can't actually lower bottom manual on L100. It has to be 8' drawbar. No other way.
                            Yea, looks like you're right. from the schematic it seems that all drawbars go to the matching transformer at once in an L-100. Bummer.

However, if this was something someone really wanted to do, I feel like you could "Macgyver" a way by finding a set of drawbars and matching transformer from an M3 or M2. It would probably be a lot of work, but might turn out to be less of a headache than doing the traditional octave lowering technique, and also much more flexible.
                            Hammond M3
                            Hammond XK3
                            1976 Rhodes MkII
                            Clavinet D6

For bass I use:
                            Edirol PCR-500
                            ASUS 1005HA netbook

Comment

A few months ago I suggested someone (CarlM...?) to insert an octave divider before the matching transformer only to the 8' in his L-100. Some impedance matching adjustments should be made, but that would work in L series as well as in other Hammonds.
                              I haven't had to try it anymore, but I think it would work...

Jussi
                              E-333 (modified)
                              Leslie 147 (surprise, not modified...)
                              Previous:
                              T-200 (modified and sold)
                              T-500 (modified and sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X