X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C3 16' 1st octave low volume

G'day folks,

I was able to score a C3 for AU$1,000. Pics are here: http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...-Leslie/page98

Everything is working just fine except the first octave of the 16' drawbar is softer than the subsequent octaves - on both manuals. Any ideas??

As usual I had to solder on a few drawbar wires before I even started checking the rest of the organ out. It beats me why Hammond for decades used such a primitive and unreliable method to connect the drawbars.

And is the foot well light pictured below standard on the C3?

Thanks,
    Skippy
    AS FAR AS ORGANS ARE CONCERNED - I'M A GOOD MECHANIC AND A HOPELESS DRIVER.
    Hammond C3 & M102 & Elegante & PR40. Yamaha D85 & D65 & FS30 & MC600 & GX76. Thomas Celebrity Royale 871, Kawai T5 & E550, Conn 643 & 632 & 552.Lowrey H25R2. Elka EP12. Orla D6180, Wurlitzer 4430 & Omni 7000 & 555. Roland D70 & RA90 . Ferrofish B4000+. Leslie 145 & 705 & 710 & 720

Typical.Both my C organs do the same

Comment

Originally posted by Hamman View Post
      Typical.Both my C organs do the same
      Thanks Hamman,

I had a look at the Carsten Meyer manual tapering chart. The first 10 keys are tapered at 100 Ohms then it jumps to 50 Ohms and it gets less and less up the keyboard. Perhaps it is the tapering I’m hearing. A bloody big jump in volume if you ask me. I wouldn’t call it typical – I’d call it crude.

Skippy
      Hammond C3 & M102 & Elegante & PR40. Yamaha D85 & D65 & FS30 & MC600 & GX76. Thomas Celebrity Royale 871, Kawai T5 & E550, Conn 643 & 632 & 552.Lowrey H25R2. Elka EP12. Orla D6180, Wurlitzer 4430 & Omni 7000 & 555. Roland D70 & RA90 . Ferrofish B4000+. Leslie 145 & 705 & 710 & 720

Comment

Originally posted by skippy View Post
        I had a look at the Carsten Meyer manual tapering chart. The first 10 keys are tapered at 100 Ohms then it jumps to 50 Ohms and it gets less and less up the keyboard. Perhaps it is the tapering I’m hearing. A bloody big jump in volume if you ask me. I wouldn’t call it typical – I’d call it crude.Skippy
        Also the bottom octave is folded back (same as the second octave) and the preamp has the bass response rolled off. Maybe hammond used the high tapering resistance to hide the foldback to some extent. What does is sound like with the first 3 drawbars pulled out? If it's still weak maybe you have a bad cap in the preamp.
        Simon

Comment

Thanks Simon,

Using the 16' drawbar with other drawbars appears to hide this rather distinct increase in volume starting with key 13 (C). If the keyboards are tapered according to the Carsten Meyer chart an increase in volume should start with key 11.

Skippy

Comment

A bloody big jump in volume if you ask me. I wouldn’t call it typical – I’d call it crude.

Skippy
            Exactly why I prefer 1934-1940 hammonds myself. ;)

Comment

Skippy, what are you running the C3 through? Is it possible the volume difference wouldn't be as noticable if you ran it through something with better bass response? Just a guess.
              When I become dictator, those who preach intolerance will not be tolerated.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadyJoe View Post
                Skippy, what are you running the C3 through? Is it possible the volume difference wouldn't be as noticable if you ran it through something with better bass response? Just a guess.
                Good point! I only just purchased it. It came without a tone cabinet. For the purpose of testing it I just hooked the preamp output to the AUX in of an old ghetto blaster. The preamp out signal is fairly strong and I have to leave the expression pedal all the way back and the console volume switch on low to avoid distortion. As soon as I get some time I will make up a connection kit for my Leslie 720.

Thanks,
                Skippy

Comment

G'day folks,

And is the foot well light pictured below standard on the C3?

Thanks,
                  Skippy
                  Yes the light looks factory. While you're at it, with the organ unplugged check that cord running to the lamp. From the pic it looks like it might have been changed (a good thing) but if that cord feels brittle and flakes pieces off in your hand REPLACE IT! Also check the cord that runs from the AC socket up (through the plastic tube) to the TG (usually looks like lamp cord) and make sure its not brittle either. These cords, if infact still factory, can cause shock, short and or a fire if not replaced!

Comment

Thanks Hamman,
                    All the wiring and cords look OK. On the issue of the low volume 16' first octave I found, as suggested by ShadyJoe that if I connect the C3 to a serious amp the difference is hardly noticeable. I hooked the C3 to a Roland Revo 250 pretend Leslie simply because it has a standard line in socket. Making up a connection kit for my Leslie's will have to wait a little. WOW and WOW again. My biggest regret in life is that I never realized my dream to buy a large property so I can crank up without polluting the neighborhood. Sure, it IS a pretend Leslie effect. But it kicks some serious arse. Pulsating lows and screaming highs. If you are not familiar with the Roland Revo 250 - I've attached some pics. The bass speaker is a piece of art.
                    On another topic - since you are the proud owner of two C's. Did they come with a bottom panel as indicated by my attachment?

Skippy

Comment

No they dont have panels where you indicated. Probably somebody who was shipping the organ attached that "panel" or plywood to keep the organ cabinet squared up....might have never been removed

Comment

You should be able to get plenty of bass response out of that Revo 250 cabinet. Wow.
                        Maybe the panel in the bottom is the optional modesty panel to keep the mice from leering at the organist's feet.
                        city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC, Wurlitzer 4500, Schober Recital Organ, Steinway 40" console , Sohmer 39" pianos, Ensoniq EPS, ; country Hammond H112

Comment

Originally posted by indianajo View Post
                          You should be able to get plenty of bass response out of that Revo 250 cabinet. Wow.
                          Maybe the panel in the bottom is the optional modesty panel to keep the mice from leering at the organist's feet.
                          You got it. Why didn’t I think of this? Mice just love cheese. Dirty, filthy critters.

Comment

Working...
                          X