Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New Hammond Sk is better than the Xk series?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Hammond Sk is better than the Xk series?

Hey Guys
    i want to buy a hammond and im wondering witch is the best between an Xk1 , Xk3c, Sk1 or SK2?
    are the new Hammond SK series better than the Xk?

really looking fwd to your comments!
    Hammond Xk3c Pro System
    Nord Stage 2
    Fender Rhodes MKII Suitcase
    Wulitzer 200a
    Clavinet D6
    Moog Little Phatty

I would say that the xk3c is better and more tweakable than the SK. You can input a series of parameter changes into the Xk and change the sound immensely!
    1947 Hammond CV
    Xk3c System with bass pedals
    M-Audio controller
    Rack Mount Motif

Comment

i tried the Xk3c and i felt in love! but i cant find one here in Cyprus to buy or in europe ( second hand)
      i just saw the Numa organ! what do you think? does it compares with hammond organs? or even nord c2?
      Hammond Xk3c Pro System
      Nord Stage 2
      Wulitzer 200a
      Clavinet D6
      Moog Little Phatty

Comment

Hi I am in the same situation as you!

I am going to buy my first hammond and I have choosen between sk2 and xk3-c. After a lot of reading and thinking I am convinced to buy xk33-c. Much more organ!!!!

If you also need piano in the same keyboard buy sk, but it cost you the organ feeling (two draybars, sk is more plastic and budget etc).

Buy xk3-c and if you need more sounds buy a rack or a another keyboard as a compliment.
        My Gear:

Hammond Sk2
        Moog Little Phatty
        Yamaha CP300
        Roland Fantom X6
        Nord Stage 2 HA 88
        Bröderna Lager Piano 1954

Comment

Thnx for the answer!!!
          i have a nord stage for pianos and rhode sound!
          i just want a better organ sound!
          now its the nord stage 2 out witch it had better organ sounds than mine but i will try to find a used xk3c to buy cause my budjet is not more than 1700-1800 euro
          Hammond Xk3c Pro System
          Nord Stage 2
          Wulitzer 200a
          Clavinet D6
          Moog Little Phatty

Comment

They are different tools for different jobs.

The leslie sim is supposed to be a lot better on the SK.

Personally I prefer the XK3c hands down over the SK series keyboards. But I use real leslies and draw all my non organ sounds from other sources. You might want to take leslie simulation into consideration if you don't carry a mechanical leslie.

Comment

It depends on who you ask. If you ask me I'd tell you that the xk 3c sounds better than the sk2 but I have this problem with the xk3, the cost. By the time you buy the bottom manual, stand, you have at least $ 6000.00 invested add pedals at least $7000.00. I have seen used outfits go for at least $4000.00. The sk2 goes for around $3000.00 and sounds fairly decent. With stand and pedals around $4000.00. That being said, if you can afford it, find a used xk system but, if all you need is the organ without pedals, I'd buy the sk2. If I just needed one manual I'd by a xk1, in my opinion, it sounds better than the xk3 and has a better Leslie sim. However, if you need only one manual you would do well to look at to Numa organ. It is a very good product and stands up to the xk 3c in sound an Leslie sim and cost only $2000.00, and there is also the Nord c2. But if you want a Hammond, the xk1.

Comment

I got the XK3c for $2195. Normal street price though is probably closer to $2300. The lower manual was $1600. I already had the EXP-100F swell pedal because I had to replace a pedal when my XB-2 pedal got left at a gig. Unless you HAVE to go for that traditional wooden look There are much cheaper stand options than what Hammond offers. I use a QuikLok Monolith M-91 if I use the lower manual and I setup in a L-Shaped rig.

But I rarely go two manual. Which the flexibility to go with one or two manuals is something I like.

Something that is good to know about the XK3-c is the bottom is not flat. There is fairly deep indented strip about 3" wide. If you want to ride the keyboard on a upper tier and the tiers do not stretch across the entire board there maybe issues in the keyboard setting flat. I have a work around where I velcro two pieces of sample hardwood flooring where the keyboard sits on the tiers and that work well.

If you look real close you can see the make shift shims.

Comment

I guess I need to explain my pricing of the XK3c. When I said pedals I meant bass pedals an not the swell pedal. When I spoke of the XK System the package includes the top and button manual stand pedalboard(25 pedals) which has the swell pedal placed on in like the Hammond console organs. Since we are no the subject, has anyone ever considered the KeyB solo organ or any KeyB organ for all that matters? Joey D. Francesco has played these and they sound good. These organs stack up good with the rest of the clones. The KeyB solo cost only $2899.00.

Comment

FYI There are extra voices in the xk3c that are accessible and can be programmed for easy recall. On my system I have electric piano, clavinet, funny synth, and regular synth at the touch of a key pad!
                    1947 Hammond CV
                    Xk3c System with bass pedals
                    M-Audio controller
                    Rack Mount Motif

Comment

Originally posted by osodog View Post
                      FYI There are extra voices in the xk3c that are accessible and can be programmed for easy recall. On my system I have electric piano, clavinet, funny synth, and regular synth at the touch of a key pad!
                      Yeah but those voices are hidden for a reason. LOL!

Comment

Vibes on XK(mine XK-1) aren't bad. Other voices could have been better-

Comment

It's nice to finally see such a wide variety of clones on the market today - new and used. I have three vintage hammonds and two leslie cabinets - and have played many more in addition too - and every Hammond is different to the extent it's love or hate combined with take it or leave it. The reasoning is sometimes but rarely the generator. It's occasionally the action - depending how the keys are adjusted (or worn in over time). More frequently, it's AMPLIFICATION - different types of tubes, good tubes, bad tubes, different types of circuits, speakers (leslie models, tone cabinets, etc) and even the room it's being played in.

Many people have concerns about the sample qualities of the electric pianos that hammond yields. I think when they're plugged into earphones or other steril forms of amplification, that they sound horrible. When patched into a tube driven amp, I think they really growl just like a vintage piece of equipment.

What I've found is ..... if I'm patched into a PA system or recording directly to track, I prefer the Nord. It seems to emulate Hammond sounds in a style that more closely resembles an amplified sound. I'm not a fan of the interface, nor the buttons for the drawbars. If I'm patched direct with a Hammond XK series, they always sound a little too "hot" and even with the EQ settings, I can never really get the mix I'm looking for unless I run through a computerized effects processor to shape the sound.

However, if I'm patched into a Leslie or a tube-amp, I totally prefer the Hammond - and when playing amongst a full band - it cuts through nicely and the tube-driven distortion (of the AMP not the keyboard!!) yields an authentic sound whereas nobody would really know the difference amongst drums, guitars, vocals, etc.

If I had to choose between the two - for practical purposes and budget, I'd probably choose an XK-1 with a tube driven guitar amp such as a VOX, TopHat, or Messa, and a decent MIC for the amp. I can't see the purpose of a XK-3 and purchasing all of the accessories for a dual manual setup - . I can't fathom the idea of working two manuals with the one set of bars that the SK2 offers - I think that's just entirely stupid. For $3,000 I'd sooner purchase two XK-1's.

Comment

Originally posted by Pianoman0018 View Post
                            i tried the Xk3c and i felt in love! but i cant find one here in Cyprus to buy or in europe ( second hand)
                            i just saw the Numa organ! what do you think? does it compares with hammond organs? or even nord c2?
                            I don't think they got the Leslie sim quite right but it sounds great through a Leslie 3300.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arR9Q...eature=related
                            1969 Hammond A-105, Leslie 22H, 1961 M3
                            XK3-C, VK8-M, Boss RT-20, Neo Ventilator
                            Roland XP-30 (3), XV-5080 (2), Various Fatar/Studiologic Weighted Contollers (SL-1100, 1176, 880)

Comment

Working...
                            X