any Concorde owners out there...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any Concorde owners out there...?

(Hey, please don't throw tomatoes at me for the non-tonewheel topic! I love my C3 but it just works, so there's not much to talk about with it...)

Working on a late Concorde 2307 - can't figure out all the doodads. On the percussion repeat/reiterate: is it supposed to work on all the voices, including "Pizzicato", "Banjo", etc.? Or is it just for the numbered harmonics, i.e. the numbered blue tabs to the left?

Anyone else out there with a Concorde? I'm really digging this one!
    Nobody loves me but my mother,
    And she could be jivin' too...

--BB King

I'm pretty sure it works on the voiced percussions. Banjo without a strum is a bit tame, and I think you 'convert' Harpsichord into Mandolin....
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Comment

Respect the Concorde!

Comment

Originally posted by andyg View Post
        I'm pretty sure it works on the voiced percussions. Banjo without a strum is a bit tame....
        Thanks, Andy, I was afraid of that. Guess I've got some troubleshooting to do! But the service manual is on the way.

...Boy I do have to say I was wrong before in dissing these LSI Hammonds. I still can't get over the sound on this one. Maybe it's all the filtering? (There are lots of filter boards.) It definitely needs a Leslie, though: the basic, dry sound is to my ear completely unlistenable. (Though I don't have much use for the straight/dry tonewheel sound either, i.e. without at least some animation.) And the on-board vibrato is cheezy, but it does allow a pretty fair Vox combo organ imitation. If I can get this 100% working, I can see it being a hoot to play!

(But with all that said: what were they THINKING with the cheap-O plastic pedal actuators? I'm missing 5 of them, and 2 of the little brackets have actually popped out too.)

cheers guys-
        td
        Last edited by toasterDude; 05-04-2012, 11:21 AM.

--BB King

Comment

I have a B-3000. It was a fine organ. 85% of the tone comes from the Leslie.

The LSI organ is different than a mechanocal generator but it is still fine.

However my original intent with the B-3000 was severely flawed. LOL My intent was to gig with it because of the weight is much less. But B-3000 it didn't like being bounced around in a trailer at highway speeds. It didn't like being dropped either. Connectors inside the organ would come loose. Not a good quality for a road organ.

Comment

Congrats on your Concorde!!!

Don't have a Concorde but do agree the "Repeat Percussion/Reiteration" tab feature should sound on the preset (Bright) percussion voices, Banjo, Harpsichord, Piano and Pizzicato. These tabs can be combined to simulate additional percussion. On an Elegante the "Repeat" tab sounds on both percussion sections, harmonic and bright. I suspect this too is the situation on the Concorde but have no means of verification.

Yes agree the Concorde needs a Leslie. Better yet, add a 710 through the 9-pin Leslie socket (Plug and Play). The vibrato system is useable for solo voices but certainly is no substitute for a scanner.
            Have: Hammond 340212 Elegante
            Had: Hammond T-311 and 333114 Colonnade
            Never will have: Laurens Hammond 350 w/ 2 - 751 Leslies

Comment

update...

Thanks again guys, the bright percussion repeat is working now - it was just a dirty/intermittent contact in the switch. In fact, at this point everything on the organ is 100% working! Even the screwy stuff like the glissando strip and the "Touch Tempo" tablet.

I was also wrong about the pedal actuators. 1) it doesn't matter that they're plastic; they don't actually do much except couple the pedal spring to the switches inside the organ. And 2) I actually have all of them: the missing ones had just fallen down inside the contact unit. They did have a "gooey foam" problem though, where the foam bushings had disintegrated into tar-like blobs. I soaked them all in solvent for about an hour and then cleaned them, and cut replacement bushings from a piece of thick felt. The pedals work great now!

I'm really surprised this Concorde works so well - I had always heard they were pretty spotty as to build quality. My guess is that with this one being so late ('79-'80) Hammond must have gotten a lot of the bugs worked out by then.

Now if I can just scare up a Leslie 710...

td

--BB King

Comment

Don't believe that it doesn't matter that they are plastic. The glue for the retainer sections gave out on my Colonnade and I was never able to put it back quite the same. What a job it is to align the piston pieces and gerryrig them! I bought an all new set of pedal switches from a chopped H and all the wires were yellow so I couldn't tell which note was which and never did replace the switches. Finally gave the organ to a church that needed an organ. I gave them some tips on setting up the pedal tabs and if they got just the first 13 right they could still use the organ.

Comment

Actually a Leslie 715 would be a much better choice. 11 pin made for that organ
                  Allen 5300-DK, Hammond A-105, Conn Custom 905-DK

Comment

I've always thought the Concorde had a 9-pin Leslie socket. Just checked OF member Hobberst's album to confirm that his does.
                    http://www.organforum.com/gallery/di..._display_media

Leslie 715 would work with connection changes whereas 710 is plug & play.

Yes the 2300 series is a later model, one that has a better qualify of build than the first 2100. Re: Arppegiator strip would certainly rather have that than the Auto-Arppegio on second generation LSI's.
                    Have: Hammond 340212 Elegante
                    Had: Hammond T-311 and 333114 Colonnade
                    Never will have: Laurens Hammond 350 w/ 2 - 751 Leslies

Comment

Later Concordes had a 11 pin

Comment

Yes as it happens this one has a 9-pin socket built in - I just had it hooked up to my poor little 825 for a test drive. Even with no treble horns and the limited bass response, it makes a very powerful ensemble. I can only imagine what a 710 would do (or better yet: 2 x 710! )

--BB King

Comment

Wow! Weird...my parents bought a brand new Concorde/Leslie 715 in 1977 and it had a 11 pin hooked straight up to a 715......maybe the last ones only had a 11 pin?
                          Originally posted by toasterDude View Post
                          Yes as it happens this one has a 9-pin socket built in - I just had it hooked up to my poor little 825 for a test drive. Even with no treble horns and the limited bass response, it makes a very powerful ensemble. I can only imagine what a 710 would do (or better yet: 2 x 710! )

Comment

210x Concordes most certainly had 9 pin sockets. A 'brand new in 1977' model would have been the 230x, like the 2307. Maybe they'd moved on to 11 pins by then?
                            It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
                            Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                            Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Comment

This is all very odd... there's a quality assurance tag on it dated to 1980, and the seller (donor) listed it as a 2307. But the ID plate is missing - is it possible I have a 2107 and not a 2307 after all?

From the Blue book it looks like the main difference is the Touch Tempo unit (which I have) where the built-in cassette was on the 2107. But it also lists "Acoustic Tremolo" (???) for the 2107 and "Leslie" for the 2307 - mine has a Rotosonic Leslie in it. (what the heck is Acoustic Tremolo?)

Maybe the 9-pin output was available as an option, for owners who already had a 710 or the like?

Oh, also: the Blue book lists "Note-a-chord" under 2307, but with an "M" in parentheses. I assume this means the Note-a-chord option was what distinguished the 2307M from the 2307? But does anyone remember where/what/how/who the Note-a-chord was? I don't think I have it, but there are so many bells & whistles on this thing I could've easily missed it.

td

--BB King

Comment

Working...
                              X