• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Novachord on ebay

there's a novachord on the bay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hammond-Nova...item3ccb308ce8

Hmm, how to make this happen...?
    Now: 1961 Hammond Extravoice F 100 , 1964 Hammond M 102, 1964 Leslie 125, Roland U20,
    1959 Jensen BF-100 Cabinet w/ 12" 2-way coaxial speaker H223F (cork sniffer worthy)

Comment

I checked out the attached Youtube link..MAN the Novachord sounds BEAUTIFUL!!!!
      1963 Hammond L101"Charlie" ...1962 Hammond L102 Chop "BUCKY" .. "HOT ROD" Leslie 720.. Stock ( for the moment) Leslie Proline 825

Comment

Wow.... VCA per generator... That's the first time I've heard one. AMAZING instrument. Hard to believe 1939 technology was already there.

OK it's over.

Ended: Oct 09, 2012 00:18:21 PDT
        Winning bid:US $2,927.99 [ 13 bids ]
        Last edited by Hammoog; 10-09-2012, 02:29 AM.
        Hammonds: '52 S, '56 S-6, '61 M-3 (w/'56 JR-20), '66 E-182, '67 M-102, '69 H-112 ; '61 Gulbransen H-1, '61 Mercedes 220B, '83 Bridgestone MB-3, Various cheap guitars, homebrew amps, DSPs, FPGAs, and the magic smoke that makes them run, but no LSI TOGs (yet)

Comment

Originally posted by Hammoog View Post
          Wow.... VCA per generator...
          More correctly I think: one VCA per divider.

Amazing device indeed. Imagine re-capping one.
          -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
          Leslie 147 #F7453 in the queue.
          Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Tw Sci Fi moves come to mind that aren't on the movie credit list for the Nova chord. I think they need to be added. If they weren't by a Novachord then there was another instrument that sounded just like one.
            I doubt that's the case.

1) The Crawling Eye w/ Forrest Tucker (Sergent O'Rourke from F-Troupe) When those bloody eyeballs with tentacles come lurking around, The Novachord does its thing. I don't know what else in the 1950's made those
            sounds.`

2) The Day the Earth Stood Still - original classic (W/ Michael Rennie + Patricia Neal ) - Usually heard when Gort the robot was about to kick butt.
            Now: 1961 Hammond Extravoice F 100 , 1964 Hammond M 102, 1964 Leslie 125, Roland U20,
            1959 Jensen BF-100 Cabinet w/ 12" 2-way coaxial speaker H223F (cork sniffer worthy)

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Dep View Post
              2) The Day the Earth Stood Still - original classic (W/ Michael Rennie + Patricia Neal ) - Usually heard when Gort the robot was about to kick butt.
              The theremin is used extensively in The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Here's a fascinating audio clip from the recording of the soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzRb1OVpat0

The notes accompanying the clip mention "two Hammond organs" -- one of which may well have been a Novachord.
              -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
              Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
                More correctly I think: one VCA per divider.

Amazing device indeed. Imagine re-capping one.
                The top octave has VCAs too but they're oscillators so I'll stick with 72 frequency generators in that generator assembly.

To see a recap...

http://www.discretesynthesizers.com/nova/intro.htm
                Hammonds: '52 S, '56 S-6, '61 M-3 (w/'56 JR-20), '66 E-182, '67 M-102, '69 H-112 ; '61 Gulbransen H-1, '61 Mercedes 220B, '83 Bridgestone MB-3, Various cheap guitars, homebrew amps, DSPs, FPGAs, and the magic smoke that makes them run, but no LSI TOGs (yet)

Comment

Nathan says these things are EXTREMELY EXTREMELY EXTREMELY time consuming and finicky to restore. I always wanted one myself, just hope this one gets restored & working for future generations to enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Hammoog View Post
                    The top octave has VCAs too but they're oscillators so I'll stick with 72 frequency generators in that generator assembly.
                    I guess I treat the oscillators as the base "generators", rather than the dividers. But no biggie. It's heck of a lot of VCAs anyway you look at it.

What a project. Not something that I would even dream of attempting!
                    -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
                    Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

I have a long-standing invite to go see, play and record the fully restored one in the UK. It's a bit of a hike from here but I'll do it someday as part of a holiday in that area. Report and recordings will be forthcoming as and when I go there.
                      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
                      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                      Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Comment

Originally posted by andyg View Post
                        I have a long-standing invite to go see, play and record the fully restored one in the UK. It's a bit of a hike from here but I'll do it someday as part of a holiday in that area. Report and recordings will be forthcoming as and when I go there.
                        Sweet!!

Comment

Originally posted by andyg View Post
                          Report and recordings will be forthcoming as and when I go there.
                          Andy, I hope you have video recording capability on that holiday.

Comment

The Novachord is so ahead of its time. The sound belongs on a Jean Michel-Jarre album, but was mainly used as weird sounds on old movies. Back then they just didn't know how to deal with this kind of sound. My deepest respect for Hammond.
                            http://www.etcetera-music.eu/public/...2/t522page.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Carvalho View Post
                              T but was mainly used as weird sounds on old movies. Back then they just didn't know how to deal with this kind of sound.
                              The guy that made the weird sounds for the movies, and wrote the tune to the "Tom Corbett- Space Cadet" TV series, recorded an LP of standards including the Novachord. It sold about 2 copies, of which I have one. Google can't find the thread where I reported his name, and I can't find the skinny album in the easy listening corner after dark.
                              city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC, Wurlitzer 4500, Schober Recital Organ, Steinway 40" console , Sohmer 39" pianos, Ensoniq EPS, ; country Hammond H112

Comment

Working...
                              X