Hammoond XLK-3 Lower Manual Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hammoond XLK-3 Lower Manual Problem

Hello everyone. I hope someone can help me. I'm an old school B3 player from many years ago and just purchased the xk pro system. Im having trouble with getting the lower manual to function. Im also new to Midi. I have followed the step by step instructions that came with the manual with no luck. I did notice that the lite for the lower manual not coming on when I turn the power on the xk3-c. I have connected the midi cable from the xlk-3 to the xlk-3c. Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

Make sure you are reading the correct manual for the lower keys.
    https://www.suzuki-music.co.jp/en/pdf/xlk3e8.pdf

There are more cables than the midi cable to connect. Otherwise there is no power to the lower manual.
    In addition to the 5 pin midi cable going from the midi out to the "midi in lower" in the upper manual there is also an 8 pin cable that goes from the lower manual to the upper manual.
    You might think it is optional (since it says that it is for an optional expression pedal) but the solid line indicates that is needed for the lower manual to function.
    See the Figure on Page 5.

Also read the Trouble Shooting Section at the end of the manual:

The XLK-3 does not turn on when the XK-3/3C is switched on.
    The 8-pin cable used is not right. >>
    Use only a 8-pin cable supplied with the XLK-3.
    XLK-3 is powered through the 8-pin cable.
    1969 Hammond A-105, Leslie 22H, 1961 M3
    XK3-C, VK8-M, Boss RT-20, Neo Ventilator
    Roland XP-30 (3), XV-5080 (2), Various Fatar/Studiologic Weighted Contollers (SL-1100, 1176, 880)

Comment

I had this same problem with my new XLK lower manual not producing sound. Connected the 8 pin cable as suggested and now works great. Like many others, I believed the manual which indicated this was optional IF you had an expression pedal (I don't). The manual included for my lower keyboard (traditional with the music rack) was for the XK system rather than the XLK3 as sfp1954 describes. There is no mention of connecting the 8 pin in the trouble shooting section. My deepest thanks to sfp1954 for posting this solution. I only wish I had found it sooner before hours of trial and error in the menu.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcknight View Post
        I had this same problem with my new XLK lower manual not producing sound. Connected the 8 pin cable as suggested and now works great. Like many others, I believed the manual which indicated this was optional IF you had an expression pedal (I don't). The manual included for my lower keyboard (traditional with the music rack) was for the XK system rather than the XLK3 as sfp1954 describes. There is no mention of connecting the 8 pin in the trouble shooting section. My deepest thanks to sfp1954 for posting this solution. I only wish I had found it sooner before hours of trial and error in the menu.
        Ah yes, that pesky 8-pin connector. Works like a charm... once you know you need one.

Enjoy your lower manual - makes the XK an outstanding setup. Perhaps finding some pedals are on your horizon, if not already under your feet? Enjoy - OneWatt

Comment

Hey, guys!

I've just purchased a used XK-3 system and I'm having the same problem of the XLK not sounding notes, except my 8 pin cable is connected. All cables are connected properly and the MIDI input of the XK-3 is functioning using another MIDI keyboard. Any ideas?

Comment

What channel is the other keyboard sending? The XLK sends on ch. 2. Check the XK-3 MIDI menu. make sure the lower is set for ch. 2. Also, check the MIDI Mode, set it to Lower/Pedal. That mode tells the XK-3 that whatever is connected to In2/Lower is the lower manual no matter what channel it is sending. In In1/In2 Mode the connected device must send on the channel set in the MIDI channel Menu. Selecting the Seq. Rec. Template will set the various parameters in the ways most likely needed for your purpose. See the back of the manual for the templates and what parameters they set. Templates aren't a specific parameter, they set a group of parameters which can be changed as desired. (Similar to how selecting Defrost in your car turns on the Air Conditioner, redirects the air to the windshield and turns the fan to high. You can turn each one on individually or just hit Defrost.) When you go to the Template Menu Seq. Rec. is the first Template displayed IIRC. Again, IIRC, the process is to have the Template you want displayed and press Enter. Templates are displayed in their order, not by last selected.

Pressing the Play button should change the display so that the drawbar values are displayed numerically. This display should show a star in the lower right corner whenever a MIDI signal is detected so you can see if the XLK is sending properly.

I don't have the manual handy so my descriptions of terms may not be exact but close.

Comment

I’m having a similar issue, but a bit different. I have the cables connected correctly, but no power to the lower keys. The only way that I can get the lower keys indicator light to illuminate is to move the MIDI cable to the MIDI Out plug I. The back of the XK-3c. That’s just weird. Any idea what’s going on?

Comment

Working...
              X