This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novachord owners

Okay I know the Novachord is not technically an organ but its still something by Hammond.
    Since I learned what it was and heard how it sounded its become a personal dream to play one and one day restore one for myself. But I am wondering who here owns one?
    Current Organs: Conn 651 with Conn 255/256 tone cabinets and two leslie 600's, Hammond H-100
    Former Organs: (I miss them all) Hammond Piper, Hammond T-582 (x2), Hammond M-100 & leslie 225,
    Allen 305, Rodgers 22D and the Hammond H-100 (x2), Hammond model E, Conn 621
    "I cannae change the laws of physics!"
    -Montgomery Scott (Star Trek: TOS)

The only forum member I know who has one is Dunderola.

I've already put everyone on notice I'd like to get one myself. I guess it's gonna depend on geographic location as to which one of us gets one if it comes available ;-)
    1st born: 1958 B3 & 1964 Leslie 122
    Most Proud of: 1938 Concert Model E paired w/ 1948 Leslie 31A & Vibratone (Leslie) 30A (c.1942)
    Daily Workhorse: 3 Manual Rodgers running Hauptwerk 4.2
    New Kid on the Block: Hammond Novachord (year not determined yet)

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyB3 View Post
      The only forum member I know who has one is Dunderola.

I've already put everyone on notice I'd like to get one myself. I guess it's gonna depend on geographic location as to which one of us gets one if it comes available ;-)
      Well I know my odds of finding one is slim to none. There has to be about 200 or so left. But I'd still like to play one sometime or at least be in the same room to study it and see how it worked.
      Current Organs: Conn 651 with Conn 255/256 tone cabinets and two leslie 600's, Hammond H-100
      Former Organs: (I miss them all) Hammond Piper, Hammond T-582 (x2), Hammond M-100 & leslie 225,
      Allen 305, Rodgers 22D and the Hammond H-100 (x2), Hammond model E, Conn 621
      "I cannae change the laws of physics!"
      -Montgomery Scott (Star Trek: TOS)

Comment

Yeah... I heard that was the estimate. Interesting that there were more of these made than Model Es back in the day...but there seem to be more of the Es still lingering out there. We are good for 2 or 3 popping up a year. Not so with the Novas.
        Most Proud of: 1938 Concert Model E paired w/ 1948 Leslie 31A & Vibratone (Leslie) 30A (c.1942)

Comment

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/5369469255.html

Comment

Great post, Cinnamon....thanks!
            I reached out to him. Looks like he's gonna be asking a lot for it. But nothing ventured = nothing gained!!

Comment

Just heard back from the CL poster of the Nova....
              "Due to the rarity and irreplaceable nature of this instrument, we suspect the sale price will be somewhere in the six figure range."

There may indeed may be someone out there willing to pony up that kind of coin....but it ain't me!!!

Comment

Wowzers... me neither...
                -- more playing time B-), less restoration/rehab time :-B lol, bwaaahahaaaahahaha

Comment

Wonder if Hammond conservatively rated the tube drivers for it like the later Hammonds.

Here's a neat video of a healthy-looking Billy Mayerl playing a Novachord in 1941. It's interesting to hear "And here's a tune we all know that I composed in 1865."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH5qJHFlBcQ
                  -- I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic -- 1899 Kimball, Rodgers W5000C, Conn 643, Hammond M3, L-102 - "Let no man belong to another who can belong to himself." (Alterius non sit qui suus esse potest​ -) ​Paracelsus

Comment

Originally posted by Silken Path View Post
                    It's interesting to hear "And here's a tune we all know that I composed in 1865."
                    I could never figure that line out...considering the piece (which was his) was written in the 20s and he wasn't even born until 1902!!

Comment

If some gave me a six digit price even i may part with it.

- - - Updated - - -

The most likely buyer i think would be JM Jarre.
                      A+A20+PR40+145. Novachord.

Comment

Perhaps Mayerl was implying that he'd borrowed parts of it from a classical piece from that date?

As for the Novachord, there's an even better restoration over here in the UK. There was, and still should be, a detailed thread on here about it. I've still got a standing invitation to go and play it, but it's a fair old distance away.

As for 6 figure offers, even for a fully restored Novachord, that seems seems steep. $100K, say £75K. I can't even see someone like JMJ, Rick Wakeman or Keith Emerson paying that, but who knows.
                        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                        Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Originally posted by andyg View Post
                          As for 6 figure offers, even for a fully restored Novachord, that seems seems steep. $100K, say £75K. I can't even see someone like JMJ, Rick Wakeman or Keith Emerson paying that, but who knows.
                          Well...once again we enter that mystical realm of, "Just because it's old and rare doesn't mean its valuable."
                          I'm sure there's someone out there that would pay a premium for something like this. But that person needs to be sought out. As far as RW and KE, I would think that as working musicians, they'd just as soon use the sample set from Soniccouture if they wanted Nova sounds.

Comment

I wonder if i have paid the highest price so far...worth it anyhow.
                            A+A20+PR40+145. Novachord.

Comment

They want six figures and they put it on Craigslist? :-P
                              -Admin

Allen 965
                              Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
                              Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
                              Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Working...
                              X