Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with A100 percussion. Have tried everything I can think of.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with A100 percussion. Have tried everything I can think of.

Thanks very much for reading and your consideration.

All the best,

Dave
    1955 B3, Leslie 21H and 147. Hammond A100 with weird Leslie 205. 1976 Rhodes. Wurlitzer 200A. Yamaha DX7/TX7. Korg M1. Yamaha C3 grand, 67 Tele blond neck, Les Paul Standard, PRS 24, Gibson classical electric, Breedlove acoustic electric, Strat, P Bass, Rogers drum kit, Roland TD 12 digital drums, Apollo quad, older blackfaced Fender Twin, other amps, mics and bits and pieces cluttering up the "studio."

Sounds like you have some very stubborn dendrites in there somewhere. You might want to peruse an earlier thread here by Twiggybush. "A122 Percussion Weirdness" there's lots of good suggestions contained in it.
    Hammond B3 (55), B3 (70), B3 (72), B2 (51) conversion, A100 (61) chop, A100 (62), A105 (75), Northern BC (39) empty.
    Pile of Leslies of various flavours, Minimoog, ARP Odyssey, MaxiKorg, Hohner D6, Rhodes 54, Rhodes 73, Wurlitzer A200, Wurlitzer A203W

Comment

Hi Dave and Verb man. A single 9 volt battery is insufficient. I used a 12V dc wall wart rated at 200ma with a 1000 uf capacitor across plus and minus. In retrospect I think I should have used a larger supply. My switch box looked clean as it did on an A100 I did a year ago. Both times zapping worked for me. Unsolder the blue wire and take a resistance reading to ground. If it reads no continuity (as mine did), zap it anyways. A 12 volt car battery can weld steel as it has 60 amps or so. It's the amperage that causes the spark, not the voltage. 9 volt batteries in paralell makes more sense than series. It would be difficult to damage a system that should have no continuity unless a key is depressed. I think moving the organ causes dendrites to move around. Congrats on the new organ. http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...sion-weirdness
      C3, Leslie 720, A100, E100, Have owned L100 and M3, http://soundcloud.com/twiggybush

Comment

I use an old Eico unregulated 12V power supply that will deliver around 5 amps....Usually vaporizes most dendrites first or second attempt.
        Hammond B3 (55), B3 (70), B3 (72), B2 (51) conversion, A100 (61) chop, A100 (62), A105 (75), Northern BC (39) empty.
        Pile of Leslies of various flavours, Minimoog, ARP Odyssey, MaxiKorg, Hohner D6, Rhodes 54, Rhodes 73, Wurlitzer A200, Wurlitzer A203W

Comment

Thanks for the kind advice!

When I had the drawbars pulled up out of the way and looked at the metal portion of the keys with a headlamp, the little sparklies were there. But the percussion box interior looked pristine. It is very helpful to hear that the interior can look fine but zapping restores the percussion.

So if I get a 12V 6 amp adaptor from Amazon, make up 2 small alligators, clip + to blue, touch - to ground a couple of times, this would do it?

Our cabin is at a lake in Montana, going back down first week in August. I'll give this a try.

By the way, I'm from Lethbridge Alberta, and I found an almost mint 1955 B3 with a 21H in Dillon Montana for $2500, brought it back, and begged an 85 year old Hammond tech out of retirement to service it, but I can't take him back down there to work on the A100!

In Lethbridge you won't find Leslies for sale, so in a weak moment I bought a 205. I know, I know. But I took it across the border and got it going with a matching transformer. The rotating 6x9's are sounding a little like a Leslie driver just starting to go, which is nice, but I'll bet I need a crossover to avoid shards of speaker cone flying all over the place if I push it too much. Kidding. Maybe I can get my friend the tech to make up a crossover to protect those.

Thanks for the advice.

Dave
          1955 B3, Leslie 21H and 147. Hammond A100 with weird Leslie 205. 1976 Rhodes. Wurlitzer 200A. Yamaha DX7/TX7. Korg M1. Yamaha C3 grand, 67 Tele blond neck, Les Paul Standard, PRS 24, Gibson classical electric, Breedlove acoustic electric, Strat, P Bass, Rogers drum kit, Roland TD 12 digital drums, Apollo quad, older blackfaced Fender Twin, other amps, mics and bits and pieces cluttering up the "studio."

Comment

Two 9 Volt batteries in series usually does the trick as well, no expensive power supply needed.
            Current organs: AV, BC, A-100
            Current Leslies: 22H, 142, 147, 760
            Organs in the past: L-100 (several), M-100 (x2), T-100, E-100, CV
            Other keyboards: Roland FP-4, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha TX81Z, Yamaha Motif ES Rack, Korg Krome, Novation Mininova

Comment

I had some extremely stubborn dendrites on my RT3. I zapped with a single 9 volt but it kept returning as I would change settings or bump the organ. I moved to 2 9 volt batteries and it was improving, but I still got some resistance between the blue wire (K terminal wire) and ground. After zapping with 3 9V batteries (I was doing them in series) everything works perfectly. There must have been some seriously intense dendrites in it.

On my A100, a single 9V was plenty. After zapping once or twice it worked perfect.

Don't get too discouraged, I'd bump up to two 9V and try zapping again. Try 3 (only if 2 doesn't work) if you're feeling froggy, but it has worked fine for me in the past.

Comment

Thanks again.

My elderly retired Hammond tech told me that, years ago, he was zapping a C3 in church one day, and there was smoke and lots of noise and a parishioner came in, ready to call the fire department because he thought he was a pyromaniac.

When I do this, say at 6 amps, will I see or hear anything? Do I hold the lead there for a period of time? The 9V got quite warm when I tried it 3 times in a row for 5 seconds.
                Last edited by Tonewheel; 09-07-2016, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Did you remember to cancel the upper manual presets before flashing?
                  Other keyboards: Roland FP-4, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha TX81Z, Yamaha Motif ES Rack, Korg Krome, Novation Mininova

Comment

Hi Enor,

....Um.......can't remember.....

Comment

If the battery pumps enough current to get hot, the most likely cause is that you have a preset selected; and the current takes that route to ground instead of via the dendrites. Thus, no effect of flashing and hot batteries.

Comment

Perfect explanation! Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by enor View Post
                          Two 9 Volt batteries in series usually does the trick as well, no expensive power supply needed.
                          Yes! ...and three 9 volts snapped together in series is plenty for any dendrites... they make an ample spark. I wouldn't bother with a car battery... way too cumbersome and not necessary.
                          Roger Memphis
                          C-3 with O-M, 145, 122RV, 2 PR-40's, PSR-36
                          CV with HR-40, 2 B-40's

Comment

My advice on batteries and zapping.

NiCd - NEVER use these, if you accidentally short them out they can explode and Cadmium is very toxic.
                            NiMH - I wouldn't use these, they have the same fire/exploding risk as NiCd, but at least they aren't toxic.
                            Car Battery - Nope.No.No. On a short circuit you will easily draw 100A or more, you will melt bus bars and probably cause a fire.

Alkaline PP3 battery - Yes! although they may burst if they get hot on a short circuit, they will not blow your hand off. A fresh battery may provide 5-6 amps though, make sure there are no fine wires where you are zapping.

My preference is a bench PSU with a current limiter, you can easily limit the maximum current and you can see if the short lasts - dendrites should instantly zap away.
                            C3 chop rescue - in progress
                            M102
                            L102
                            TTR100
                            VK-8M
                            FrankenLeslie (in progress)

Comment

OK, Roger, now this has me tachycardic. I just ordered a 12 V 6 amp adaptor, and plan to remove the tip, strip the wires, attach small alligators, yell "clear!"

Am I crazy? Should I have a fire extinguisher, defibrillator, IV lidocaine, a tourniquet, and a final note to my family ready?

Comment

Working...
                              X